Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Las Tortugas V | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
11/9/2010 12:00 AM

Las Tortugas V | Review | Pics
Another pretty perfect year at this Northern California festival jewel with 7 Walkers, Yonder, The Mother Hips, Cornmeal, ALO, Pimps and more.

IPowrie
IPowrie
11/9/2010 08:51 PM

Nice review makes me want to attend next years

lucidtimescapes
lucidtimescapes
11/10/2010 05:57 AM

the beginning of this review is the most cheesy hippie-dippie shenanigans i have ever read.

Lulz at tortugas having the best crowd yonder ever played to, has the reviewer heard of String Summit?

Bridget
Bridget
11/10/2010 07:35 AM

Yea Five Eyed Hand! I agree that their style is hard to pen, but it sure is easy on the ears!

Hope to see more photos and reviews of this band.

toestothenose
toestothenose
11/10/2010 07:37 AM

Cook and Smith -

My hats way off to you two! Such a lush and all-encompasing review - one that is a rarity online, but filled with such amazing content that I so happy to have spent the 30 minutes it took to paruse it all. Your glowing reviews and beautiful images of Las Tortugas really help one get a sense of the majesty and intamacy of the event. There seems to be a real sense of spirit that is captured up in yosemite over 3 days and I hope more appreciate you two bringing that back for the masses to enjoy.

Cheers

Jake

androckguitar
androckguitar
11/10/2010 11:37 AM

What an incredible year! This festival is so amazing that sometimes words can't describe so you need some "cheesiness" to it...So many great bands rocked it for us; ALO, New Monsoon, Tea Leaf Green, Pimps of Joytime were awesome just to name a few that stood out. It's one big party in an amazing setting....Can't wait for next year!

thegreathoulihan
thegreathoulihan
11/10/2010 12:23 PM

Las Tortugans are the Best Crowd ever!!! Forgot to mention that Tea Leaf Green played like Gods Friday night and literally made it rain both sets!!Such great fun, thanks for the review and pics, see you all next year!!

SteveinReno
SteveinReno
11/10/2010 04:59 PM

Great reviews & pix! I've been to the last 4 Tortugas's & they've all been pretty much equally absolutely superb! Had a much harder time this year than others staying awake & on my feet for all the music.

Literally 100s of my excellent pix (IMHO) are posted so far @ http://www.musicphotographics.com/las_tortugas_2010_photos.htm. I've posted Tea Leaf, ALO, Lebo, Cornmeal, Mother Hips, Poor Man's Whiskey, Dead Winter Carpenters (both sets), Yonder, Kate Gaffney, Moonalice, Montana Slim, Pimps of Joytime (both sets) & a slew of random shots (mostly people, but lotsa real trippy decorations & cellophane, some dogs & trees). Enjoy! Will post BTS, New Monsoon, Tracorum, Guitarmageddon, Hydrodynamics, Newfangled Wasteland, 7 Walkers & 2nd sets of most bands posted already in the next few days.

Here's a link to all the shows to stream &/or download on Archive: http://www.musicphotographics.com/las_tortugas_2010_dls.htm.

Can't wait til next year!!

puseykev
puseykev
11/10/2010 06:38 PM

After seeing 6 Widespread Panic shows (slc/oakland/reno) in 8 days, getting a chest cold,enduring a flooding monsoon and some rock climbing in Yosemite,...I rolled down the Evergreen Rd. in my hippy Westy van,feeling at peace and at home for Las Tortugas. I had the most amazing weekend, not to mention Halloween weekend, in my life! I've spent the last 3 ,or so, years going to Vegas for Halloween (Vegoose, WSP), but this is the ultimate mind and body experience...and safe. It was def. hard keeping the energy rolling (I agree,SteveinReno), eyes open, and body still standing, but how cool is it that you just go to your cabin/tent for a catnap...and BAM...your catching Bill Kreutzman and 7 Walkers at 4 a.m.?! What energy it was. Will def. repeat! Thanks Evergreen Lodge and Las Tortugas!

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
11/10/2010 08:15 PM

Another tingly epic Dennis Cook Tortugas review equipped with awesome Chad Smith photos! This review is almost becoming as anticipated as the festival itself ;) My motto this year for Tortugas is Gratitude with Attitude! So much personality and genuine talent being exercised in Yosemite...This fest is really needed for the freaky west coast roots music community. As much as I love so many genres and styles, I come to Tortugas to hear this special pocket of talent let completely loose and play at their best, because this is an extremely comfortable space for them to do so. Jamming magic happens in many different ways. These artists really could use a home to shine, and Tortugas provides....and for the fans, too of course.

Trendy notions are banished when I enter the Evergreen gates, these Sierra roots bloom and flourish and we commemorate these Sierra stars for their musings past present and future. It is so cool how the Grateful Dead vibes loom in a very unique way, sharing space with the new, which might sound redundant in festivals today, but this is the pure. Special indeed!

Thank you Shaun Dolan and Adam Haft for your labor of LOVE.

As far as music goes, I would write the exact same review about Tracorum. WOW it was like a baptisim, and not only have I seen those guys at previous Tortugas, but at home in Nevada City as well a few times, but something extra I "GOT" about them this round, Dennis explains it perfectly!

Yonder were like our famous guests and they are so talented and yes, they do make every crowd feel special, and I think this crowd > band communication was at a higher level than I am used to seeing. It was that powerful!

ALO are the Tortugas kings, every groove is so right.

Dead Winter Carpenters are my new grassy favorite. Full blooded Tortugans.

Poor Mans Whiskey are Torts Mascots. Loved every note.

7 Walkers late nite was a huge adventure. So surprised I heard every note.

Tea Leaf Green's music always makes me horny at Tortugas.

Hydrodynamics and Blue Turtles sets took me home righteously.

Pimps of Joytime are a very creative extremely fun funk band.

Nathan More Works for Me.

Everything I heard resonated.

Gotta love a festival that features all night music with Jerry in mind. Wholesomely out of this world!

And gotta love celebrating the darkness with so much inner light.

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
11/10/2010 08:20 PM

Oh, and one more thing! (sorry, I attempt to keep things short but its just impossible with this)

JGB with Melivn and Stu Allen closing the fest after Yonder on Sunday night was so heartwarming and perfect way to end...They took it right down to the soul pocket. Great scheduling on Sunday, near perfect. JGB was excellent, and kept the masses on our feet as we drank down the last drops of our Evergreen punch and honored Jerry in our last Dance of the Dead for 2010.

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
11/10/2010 08:27 PM

UGH I cant believe I forgot my FAVORITE set of the weekend: NEW MONSOON in the Tuolomne Hall.

I know theyre not out to blast the masses in their career, but they still managed to steal my heart! WTF!!!

Im not even their biggest fan, Im a good fan, but not like cracked out on em or anything....Yet their set just blew me away. They are so flowing and oddly gentle to the psyche. They remind me so much of past Tortugas, for some reason everything connected at its highest for me on Sat night during their set, especially the song On The Sun. I was happily surprised they tickled me so much.

llirette3
llirette3
11/12/2010 10:24 AM

This was my second Tortugas and next year will be my third and the year after that my fourth and so on. I NEED it to keep my belief in the overall good of mankind alive. Great review!!

BGA1
BGA1
11/12/2010 01:45 PM

RickyMullet you need to slow down bra.

During 7 Walkers Sunday night back by the merch booth did anyone else see that chick fight. It was brutal! That was the only bad thing I saw all weekend. And the guy who fell down all tripped out and split his head open. Other then that it was a great weekend!

can't wait for next year Thursday 27 till Sunday 30th. No Halloween, maybe they will extend it?

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use