Stevie Ray Vaughan/Albert King In Session Out on Dvd 11/09

crowesfan
crowesfan
9/29/2010 11:10 AM

Nice

21mmer
21mmer
9/29/2010 11:59 AM

nice, indeed. albert king is the real deal.

djconn88
djconn88
9/29/2010 02:50 PM

Stevie Ray Vaughan is the shit. Nobody plays guitar like he does.

UseURHead
UseURHead
9/29/2010 03:28 PM

SRV was the man... he was my Phish before he died... and Phish became my SRV shortly there after... I already have this DVD and if you like blues/jam at all... then GET THIS it is absolutely awesome... you can see what a natural born guitarist SRV was... I pop it in and watch every few months... brings a tear to my eye when I do, knowing I never get to see another show again, yet appreciating just how great a moment was captured on video... watch as Albert just smiles at Stevie while the man lays down the groove... Love You SRV... Rest In Peace!

dontpanic56
dontpanic56
9/30/2010 08:53 AM

how did you go from SRV to Phish hahha kinda a weird transition. but none the less SRV is the fuckin man and phish is cool too

circlelimit
circlelimit
9/30/2010 12:31 PM

Good to hear, UseURHead. I have Live at El Mocambo and the Austin City Limits and both are fantastis. Might just have to get this too.

Trey is one of my favorite guitarists but SRV was just a conduit for Zeus rippin' blues guitar high upon Mount Olympus. I love hearing his peers or the old blues great talk about Stevie. Even they were awe struck.

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
9/30/2010 01:50 PM

You ask how does a SRV>PHish transition occur. EAsy. Trey and Stevie both shred and melt like no one else can. I am a guitar player if you cant tell from my profile picture, and thats what draws me to these six string slayers.

I also was just looking at this cd today, got it as a present a couple years back. I wish it was more playing and less talking it seems like thats what half the CD is.

UseURHead
UseURHead
10/1/2010 10:07 AM

To answer the question how I got there (go grab a cold one, it's long)...

I was at my first day of college at SUNY Plattsburgh in 1990, back at my apartment for lunch between classes and my phone rings... it's my buddy telling me that Stevie died the night prior... I was crushed... I had just seen him on July 13th in Canandaigua, NY (Friday the 13th) open for Joe Cocker. Not many people paying him much attention... he starts Riviera Paradise and walks to the lip of the stage and sits down, legs hanging over into the orchestra pit area. I get out of my seat and go up to the barrier which separated us by about 5'. He looks up at me as he's playing and I'm standing there, trying to be lowkey and security starts heading my way... Stevie looks over at one of them and shakes his head... they turn around... I get to stand there watching my favorite guitarist rip a beautiful tune. 6 weeks later he's dead and I'm bummed hard... I had been lucky enough to have that memory, along with memories from 6 other SRV shows I had seen. To me, SRV meant two things... just an incrediblely naturally talented guitarist, and someone who was the genuine article, not a pieced together corporate package.

So a year goes by, and as Thanksgiving 1991 is approaching, school announces that a band will be playing in December... a friend tells me that I have to go see them, they are awesome and it will be my last chance to catch them for the $7 price tag the ticket cost. So, there I am on 12/4 when the second song ends, Reba, and my jaw is on the floor. It was the first time since my last SRV show that I had "that" feeling again... not sure how to describe it, but you know it when the music hits... you get chills and you really can't believe what you heard and how it made you feel... natural musical high. I was hooked.

Years later, I saw an interview with Trey where he was explaining how he hadn't really ever paid much attention to Stevie until something like the last few months (at that time... maybe 2003ish?) and he had a realization of just how gifted SRV was. To me personally, based on how things had worked out for me, it was a special moment... two of my musical loves had intersected. Music that I love, to me, is very spiritual and that moment was like some type of affirmation for me. Then, after having watched years ago as Stevie went through his addictions, almost ruin his band and life, then to come back on fire... only to watch that same thing repeat itself with Trey... well, I can't really put it into words, it's just something that is very positive and, in some fashion, helps me to stay grounded when it comes to my demons...

And, as McKilla stated... they both just shred... it would have been great to see them share a stage... maybe one day I will be lucky enough to!

Circlelimit... yes, those two DVDs are awesome as well but what you will really see in this one is what you described... Albert being the old blues great having fun with Stevie and, at points looking at him in awe with a big smile as they jam together... just as I did 7/13/1990... and it's a very personal/intimate setting they do it in, it's not a concert... it's more of a musical talk show!

Now you know... the rest of the story %^)

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use