Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

15 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
North Coast Music Festival | Review | Pics
JamBase
JamBase
9/9/2010 12:00 AM

North Coast Music Festival | Review | Pics
The inaugural Chicago fest jumps off with a bang and we've got the lowdown from Interactive Amy and photographers Dave Vann & Chad Smith.

concertguy
concertguy
9/9/2010 05:22 PM

article "reviewing" festival with all the superlatives "one of the most celebrated"? was written by the person promoting it? give me a break. go masturbate somewhere else.

jeremyschrock
jeremyschrock
9/9/2010 05:47 PM

Really, concertguy? You feel better now? Amy, article was spot-on and I'm glad you wrote bc I volunteered to originally but couldn't get it done by the time Chad wanted it and I probably wouldn't have covered it as in-depth as you. I'm so proud of the people who put this on, I've been to a ton of fests and this one was done with the proficiency of a veteran fest and in its first year. Can't wait til next year!

Michael2
Michael2
9/9/2010 07:47 PM

@concertguy - To clarify... Amy who wrote the article was NOT an organizer or promoter of the fest on any level... she was the guest tweeter/social media person for the weekends festivities for those fans who couldn't attend and were following along online. This was her take on the event. Totally free of intention, and a legit perspective/opinion from a person running around trying to see as much music as humanly possible. Not arguing with you, just explaining.

LateNightLurker
LateNightLurker
9/9/2010 10:04 PM

Great Festival

nickrbk
nickrbk
9/10/2010 05:49 AM

Pretty good festival. talent def showed up and it was organized well. get rid of the stupid drink tickets tho, theres already enough lines to keep you busy and away from the music, why make another one. not to mention ppl were not tipping much bc there money was not out. just a thought. Anyone see Jay Electronica deck that dude at the bisco afterparty. epic!

electronicjams
electronicjams
9/10/2010 05:52 PM

Great festival!

Had a fuckin blast and met some pretty cool people.

Critiques:

1)Get fuckin wristbands. (There's a reason why lollapalooza is so successful)

2)Beer tickets? What is this, the Wisconsin State Fair?

bhl1987
bhl1987
9/11/2010 04:24 PM

this was a just alright festival. they gave people too many little piece's of paper to lose, three day pass holers were given three individual tickets, no wristbands for no re-entry, headlining bands were only given a 90min set. poor scheduling (Disco Biscuits during Lupe Fiasco, and Umphrey's McGee during Mobys DJ set). Beer Tickets were awful they were not clear about the fact that the tickets were only for water and beer, i heard many people who were unaware that the tickets were just for beer and spent all their money thinking they could use the tickets for other vendor food. The talent was their, the weather held but it was clearly a virgin festival. Long Live Da Umph

Dwizard
Dwizard
9/12/2010 07:18 AM

to call a first year festival one of the most celebrated is just foolish! It gives the impression the reviewer is part of the producing body or that they are just new to the scene and don't have a real clue. With Festies like bonnanroo, All Good, etc. to call this most celebrated is just wrong and it sounds as if there were problems that the reviewer choose to overlook. I'm sure it was fun as they all are but lets try to be a bit more objective next time

umphreakmr
umphreakmr
9/12/2010 12:47 PM

Great times and will be a good one to check out next year. Came across another great review as well. http://blog.ourvinyl.com/2010/09/09/ourvinyl-reviews-the-north-coast-music-festival/

chidodger
chidodger
9/12/2010 09:33 PM

I went all 3 days and I thought it was outstanding. Nice review and pics. Friday, Pretty Lights Stole the Show, on Saturday, New Deal and Umphreys were great, and Dirty Dozen, Benny Benassi and Bisco on Sunday was a great way to end the weekend. Chemical brothers were somewhat of a let-down, but all the other acts I wanted to see were great. The no-wristband and beer tickets did suck, but it could have been worse. I parked 3 blocks away on the street for free, and had no other problems at the fest. I hope it comes back next year, cause I'll be there. Money well spent on this one!!!

saines
saines
9/13/2010 05:36 PM

Pretty Lights, Moby, New Deal, Flying Lotus all killed it!

radarlin
radarlin
9/14/2010 12:18 PM

I wish the reviewer spoke more about the acutal performances. Overall i thought North Coast was fun. Security was way lax. Paul Van Dyk was late and his set on Friday and was uninspiring. Chemical Brothrs started off with a bang but got boring. Boys Noize, Moby, Flying Lotus, Green Velvet, Nas & Damien Marley killed it. It is still missing soemthing for me though. I do wish it ran later than 10:00pm and I do miss camping. God i love camping at festivals.

chantal
chantal
9/16/2010 07:46 AM

I really enjoyed my weekend in Chicago and what I saw of this festival. For its inaugural run, I thought it went great! I got a groupon deal, so the price was right too. I won't be back for full price and no wristband, however. The lack of wristbands meant I got there for the shows I wanted to see instead of being able to come in early and check out smaller acts that I wasn't familiar with. I wasn't going to be chained in for 12 hours. Though the beer tickets were annoying, I never waited in line, but just never really had a chance to tip the beer pourers since I had no cash and was paying in tickets. I enjoyed the local stage a bunch, was pleasantly surprised everytime I ventured over there to get a beer. I loved seeing my usuals...New Deal, UM and Bisco. Wondered over to Moby for awhile and enjoyed it. Jay Electronica is the most classless and crappiest act I've ever witnessed. Unfortunately heard his attempt at whatever (yelling, talking..not sure what you call it) at both late night Bisco and at the festy (where he yelled about choking chicks...nice). Interested to see what changes for next year!

mliggett
mliggett
9/28/2010 05:53 AM

I thought the festival was overall pretty good -- but far from great for a first year. The location was great -- loved the vibe and the size of everything. The schedule was a little off, first day especially and the overlapping always kills me.. but this happens at almost every festival. To me, to say security was lax is an understatement. I'm all for going to festivals and seeing lax security people, but I do feel like there needs to be somewhat of a presence still there just to keep a little order. The presence was nowhere to be found, and I feel that they can be lax with presence. I don't know if I'm making sense, and it was far from entirely chaotic, but I, along with others, saw some people falling out, laying motionless and all sorts of stuff. However, everyone got through the weekend and I had a great time. Weather was epic, beer tickets were pretty lame, Jay Electronica was horrible. Shows overall were pretty good... Wish there wasn't a curfew on the music, cause 10 just seems too early, but it all worked out after a long weekend I was nice and worn out and full of grins and good times. Hope to see it back with a little more variation, all the wobbles get to me after a while..

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use