Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

26 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Lollapalooza | 08.06-08.08 | Chicago
JamBase
JamBase
8/12/2010 12:00 AM

Lollapalooza | 08.06-08.08 | Chicago
Cal Roach takes us through the highs & lows of this year's problematic installment.

chux7487
chux7487
8/12/2010 10:57 AM

sounds awful

BigErn
BigErn
8/12/2010 11:10 AM

ARCADE FIRE!!!!!

drdank551
drdank551
8/12/2010 11:42 AM

WOW!!!! This must be the one and only person who did not enjoy themselves this weekend, every other person I have talk to or review I have read, had a fantastic weekend. Good to see they fixed the Photo Viwer thingy!!!!

toestothenose
toestothenose
8/12/2010 12:17 PM

Cal - I appreciate the speedy turnaround and one man coverage of this festival, but I find it hard to believe that you skipped or choose not to review many, many acts

how were these sets

Social Distortion

Mumford and sons

The National

Deertick

The Black Keys

The New Pronographers

JZryb
JZryb
8/12/2010 01:43 PM

Kinda funny considering that this is probably one of the best organized and most accessible festivals in the country that you would still consider this a D+. About 239,000 people would probably disagree.

I did agree on most of the sets that you covered though; many of these sets left me even more intrigued to see some of these bands in more intimate settings.

Also, the inclusion of Perry's Tent this year was great. It offered an amazing retreat from the sun in addition to a great meeting place and great visuals in the DJ tower. Empire of the Sun @ Perry's on Sat was easily one of my fav sets of the week.

Also; shocker of the week I would say belongs to Jamie Lidell in the Blogger Tent. Its a shame not more people were able to see this show but his presence on stage is amazing and everyone who saw him there would def agree.

Nice photos though!

Govindaze
Govindaze
8/12/2010 01:58 PM

Soundgarden did play, right?

PooDolla
PooDolla
8/12/2010 02:59 PM

The overlap of Soundgarden and Arcade Fire is just horrible. Noone should ever be forced to make such a had decision.

radarlin
radarlin
8/12/2010 03:03 PM

I actually enjoyed the review overall and the Chicago Tribune expressed your same sentiments. However I am suprised you didn't cover any of the DJ acts that played at lollapalooza. 2ManyDJ's, Tiga, Digitalism? Next time make sure to stop by Perry's tent and dance.

electronicjams
electronicjams
8/12/2010 07:45 PM

Perry's line-up this year cannot be compared to the unbelievable talent that graced that stage in 2009.

Daft Punk Chi-town stop @ Lolla 2011 ftmfw

MCKILLA187
MCKILLA187
8/12/2010 10:00 PM

It kinda seems like you shit talked to keep it brief, Why would you even go see Lady Gaga. your writing for jambase, which does not have to mean exclusively jam bands just not the shitty ones. HOWEVER, i agree with you about Greenday i was just saying to someone the other day that they are not the Greenday I know and love, a different band entirely.

MrSqueaks
MrSqueaks
8/13/2010 12:10 AM

i like a good bit of what this author had to say, but i must ask.... did any editor actually proof-read this article? and did this writer pass any elementary English classes? just because jambase is focused towards the jam scene and is read mostly by pot-smokers does not excuse poor writing abilities. plenty of journalism students out there are in need of jobs and know how to write properly (and can still do it while high as hell). based upon poor writing/editing alone, i was ready to quit reading this article by the 2nd paragraph.... not to mention that this was far too short for such a big festival.

Muffinman1
Muffinman1
8/13/2010 04:27 AM

I watched about an hour of Soundgarden, then ran over to catch some of Arcade Fire. I am a fan of Arcade fire, but they couldn't even touch the show that Soundgarden was rocking on the other side. I then returned to Soundgarden for what was one of the top 3 shows I've ever seen. It's a shame you missed it Cal. And I had a great time at the fest. You are definetly in the minority on that one bud.

kizzy1
kizzy1
8/13/2010 09:31 AM

anyone catch Ike Reilly Assassination? I have just recently gotten into them and really like their stuff. They played at a brewery in my hometown about 10 days ago and only about a dozen people showed up , but they were pretty hot. Curious about how their Lolla show was received. Yes , the lack of a Soundgarden review makes this review pointless.

crowesfan
crowesfan
8/13/2010 01:51 PM

No love for one of the best bands of 90s who haven't played together in 12 years and were one of the headliners? Weak

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use