Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

24 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
High Sierra Music Festival: 07.01-07.04 | California
JamBase
JamBase
7/9/2010 12:00 AM

High Sierra Music Festival: 07.01-07.04 | California
We take y'all inside the 20th anniversary of this West Coast tradition, where the tree-lined mountains were filled with wonderful sounds…

tommont
tommont
7/9/2010 08:22 PM

Nice write up Dennis, Kayceman & the rest of the Jambase writers and great photos Sue! Thanx. I have no excuse for not making it up to HSMF for a number of years but I had an incredible time this year. I also loved both of the Nels sets (i thought the Thurs set was the more amazing of the two but the 'Maggot Brain' w McFadden was awesome), the Rubblebucket sets (my favorite 'new' band also), the B-3 and drums playshop w Johnny Vidacovich, Scott Amendola (i think their first time playing together), Wil Blades & Robert Walter was awesome. The Meters tribute set was excellent as were the Allman Brothers Clan and their guests. Preservation Hall Jazz Band and the pre war blues Radiators sets and Marco Benevento Trio were all solid in the big hall. Zach Deputy was awesome, I loved Orgone, The New Mastersounds at Camp Happiness. Poor Man's Whiskey grandstand stage and bits that I caught of Femi Kuti & Positive Force, Ozomatli (they seemed to really hit it off w the High Sierra crowd), Surprise Me Mr Davis (they turned '19th Nervous Breakdown inside out) were all great at the grandstand stage. I really loved Cornmeal who I saw for my first time, also The Infamous Stringdusters and Trampled by Turtles. Carolyn Wonderland plays blistering guitar and sings like Janis sometimes. Vidacovich w Robert Walter duo, w Skerik sitting in, were great. There was so much more that I'm blanking on. The gospel set w Jordan Feinstein, Chris Haugen, Carolyn Wonderland, Sharon Gilchrist and more (Pete Canton on the bass!!! Who was also up on stage w Guitarmageddon part of the time) was wonderful. Some of the stealth sets I caught were Orgone, Tracorum (w/ Ian 'Inkx' Herman on drums, who used to or still does play w Hamsa Lila) and a solid Sacramento area funk group, The Nibblers (Skerik sat in for 30 min or more). I also loved Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers (she's got a terrific voice). Thanx High Sierra & thanx Jambase!!!!!

jasonthehead
jasonthehead
7/9/2010 08:24 PM

no comment, I'm speechless. I want to go back. Widespread would just about be getting done with the CTS opener right now.

Ston
Ston
7/9/2010 08:40 PM

Wasn't even there, but a great review to read! Makes me sad about no 10klf this year...

Fhirtzel
Fhirtzel
7/9/2010 10:22 PM

Great festival and as always great people. Kickball pics from the official unoffical kickball photographer uploading now. I will post on the High Sierra message boards and will see if Jambase will let me post a link to them on this site.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
7/9/2010 10:57 PM

Missed this year due to "adult" stuff. I'm gonna rule supreme at High Sierra 2011. It will be my 9th year and I'm gonna treat myself to staying in a R.V.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
7/9/2010 11:12 PM

I didn't mind trudging through the new viewer to see those pictures. I seriously welled up with tears of joy. That place is so.........magical.

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
7/9/2010 11:23 PM

That looks awesome! Sounds like how Wanee felt! When I make my way back to the west coast this is def on my to do list!

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
7/9/2010 11:25 PM

Also kinda strange that it sounded "festival wise" better than Furthurfest.

walthers
walthers
7/10/2010 09:29 AM

Great festival, great weekend. Too bad it is a pain in the ass to view the photots, figure it our Jambase, the new viewer sucks.

LisaB32
LisaB32
7/11/2010 10:52 AM

Thanks for the recap, so MANY highlights again this year!

Here are some others, brought to you by High Sierra Mayo(r) Nathan Moore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_5zut_z95A

PooDolla
PooDolla
7/11/2010 01:24 PM

Vince Herman looks like such a hillbilly in those overalls.

Fhirtzel
Fhirtzel
7/11/2010 10:28 PM

My kickball pics are posted here, I hope you enjoy them;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20445318@N08/sets/72157624341462553/

I was the one in Nathan Moore's youtube video above (3:21) running around taking pictures laughing my ass off. My dad called me tonight to say how proud he was that I was out there living life to the fullest and how he wished he was in his 30's again running around playing kickball. See you all next year!

androckguitar
androckguitar
7/11/2010 10:39 PM

great write-up and pics!

Best festival period. The vibe can't be compared with anything. I could write so much but ill just share a few highlights.... awesome artist sit-ins with other bands... Widespread's second set was amazing as well as the Black Crowes set....I didnt see one bad set of music.

jimithing1221
jimithing1221
7/12/2010 09:42 AM

Zach Deputy soundboards are being uploaded as we speak...

www.zachdeputy.bandcamp.com

One set from HSMF is up, with another couple to be put up. Stay tuned for HSMF sets and more!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use