25 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Nateva Music Festival:
07.02-07.04 | Maine
JamBase
JamBase
7/8/2010 12:00 AM

Nateva Music Festival:
07.02-07.04 | Maine

This inaugural outing has some lessons to learn, but managed to avoid plenty of obstacles while creating a wonderful new fest...

danimal2
danimal2
7/8/2010 08:51 AM

Hey I had a blast.Defenitley they could have had more people if there was more onsite camping but the crowd their was perfect, lots of festie veterens

sublimesnoboardr
sublimesnoboardr
7/8/2010 09:45 AM

"Increasing on-site camping is the single most important change needed"

why'd you rank it #3 then

charleanamt
charleanamt
7/8/2010 10:02 AM

I agree more onsite camping is the most important thing, they should consider selling car passes instead of camping tickets, that way they would know exactly how many cars were coming. The way it was this year everyone person with a camping ticket could bring there own car. But, regardless this year was fantastic I hope they do it again next year!

itrainmonkeys
itrainmonkeys
7/8/2010 10:15 AM

I don't see how they really could increase onsite camping since the area the festival was held is only so big. It's not like they had acres and acres of open fields just sitting there.

Also, just wanted to point out that Umphrey's had to play an afternoon set. It was the only time they could manage to play the festival. They had to be in Colorado for Red Rocks the next day and so they had a flight to catch on Friday evening. In order to make that flight the only slot they were able to play was that afternoon set. The reason Nateva booked them was because they were so highly requested by fans on Facebook and so Nateva went out of their way to make sure they were there.

jwell23
jwell23
7/8/2010 10:15 AM

I have to give it up to the Blow Brothers. Those were the cleanest portopotties I have ever seen at a festival. I have nightmares of Rothbury last year with the potties on top of the hill leaning on an angle so when the filled up you got a nasty overflow down the hill. Loved Nateva But I wont be back unless they remove the beer garden I felt like a prisoner fenced in a holding cell rather than a beer garden.Viva Nateva -Jamie Burlington Vt

phishr82
phishr82
7/8/2010 10:28 AM

I had to camp offsite, it didn't really bother me as the shuttles were pretty quick getting around. I thought it was great - clean porta potties, no nitrous tanks = awesome. I don't see a way to really increase onsite camping, there's only so much room, but more onsite would be nice. All in all, I thought it was a huge success and I'll definitely be back next year.

brucebruce333
brucebruce333
7/8/2010 11:01 AM

Not to be a hater, but I hope this fest moves to another weekend or dissolves next year. Rothbury will be back in full force next year and will shut this pint sized fest down. no nateva VIVA ROTHBURY!

phishr82
phishr82
7/8/2010 11:31 AM

^^^ I believe that both could co-exist, though I'm sure there would be a drain on the talent-pool if they were both the same weekend. As a New Englander with a full-time job, getting to western Michigan just isn't a feasible option for me and many others. Driving less than 3 hours to get to Maine, very much an option.

rastarusty
rastarusty
7/8/2010 12:00 PM

Nateva was such a great time. I was so pumped to snag a first year festival or that size. As for the choice of the mclovins for best set I'm not sure. They killed it though and I've been seeing the same group of people at the different shows. Lotus threw it down on thursday night right next to my easy up. Big gigantic threw down a sick late night set. I don't really remember saturdays late night sets. I thought moe. through down a big very smooth set. Lips put on a good show like you'd expect. Fake jerry killed on sunday. Fireworks were kind of hard to see since you had bright lights coming at you. Very very clean porto potties and many of them. You literally never had to wait in line to use one. Security and cops could make you feel a little sketched but The festival was run smoothly without anything major happening. Hannaford and the creek down the hill be hind it were within walking distance from the campground. Cool neighbors, good vibes. See you next year, maybe???

heavydime04103
heavydime04103
7/8/2010 12:36 PM

I agree = cleanest port-o-potties ever. Thank you guys for that! You don't know how much it means to all of us in attendance to feel "good" about walking to the bathroom at almost any time of day.

I did like the location (anyone swim in the river behind the Hannaford/Pizza Hut? it was SWEET!). But, to the person who said there wasn't much they could do in the way of adding campsites = yes, they could...if they had their shit together & secured permits in the town of Norway ahead of time. It's my understanding that it would've opened up a lot of that space on the hill where the Nateva sign was and on the other side of the beer garden. Not 100% on this, but I do know for sure they dropped the ball on the Norway permits, and therefor couldn't use that land. Also, there was news of some area they were planning on using but for some reason wasn't "ready" by concert time.

I felt the ticket price ($200) did not meet the value of the entertainment, however. I hate to say it, but Further fell flat. Not Nateva's fault, however. And Moe. should not be headlining Friday. Umphrey's should have...but obviously couldn't. Keller should've been later in the day (again, not even sure if that was possible). STS9 also could've been later. The McLovin's should be on the Main Stage next year. Zappa Plays Zappa and Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi WERE ON FIRE. Some of the best performances of the weekend. George Clinton needs to retire.

The Maine DEA were SWARMING on Thursday, Friday, and somewhat Saturday. I understand the whole thing, but these dudes were SKETCHY. I tried to find out more info from them and just talk to them, but they were dicks (as expected, I suppose). But...the way they were going about their business didn't seem in line with "official" law enforcement. It was definitely NOT on the up and up, and that makes me feel VERY unsafe.

I hope Nateva happens next year, but if it's the same price or not a comprable line-up...I won't be there. And I live 45 minutes away in Portland.

Biscizzle
Biscizzle
7/8/2010 02:05 PM

Screw you nateva for kiling rothbury!(RIP Rothbury)

bold99
bold99
7/8/2010 02:26 PM

I think the point of the scheduling is invalid. Anyone who goes to fests knows that you don't want like 4 bands you love to play all in a row. You need a little break to go back to your camp or grab some food or beers. If you are not a fan of the in between acts that gives you that chance especially when its like 95 degrees out. I thought the scheduling was perfect.

tourfan
tourfan
7/8/2010 02:58 PM

Yea, AB, True dat, UM did indeed perform Rocky Mountain High the following two days - so there slot had to be early. Bummer, but enjoyed none the less. Besides that, the point is to get people out to hear bands they wouldn't normally have the chance to hear and having acts like Jackie Greene and Jacob Dylan and The Heavy pets for instance play between others accomplishes that.

And to Andy G and to Andrew Bruss, sorry, but I will not look at your pics with this viewing system. Waiting for page and advertising loads takes way too long, and with 128 pics, that is just WAY WAY WAY to long. This photo viewer sucks donkey balls!!!!!

gettintwisty
gettintwisty
7/8/2010 03:33 PM

looked good, nice vibe I imagine in Maine...Hope Rothbury is back next year...and I agree, this picture viewer is pathetic...I dont look at pics anymore bc of the inconvenience.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use