Gorillaz Video: "Journey to Plastic Beach"
JamBase
JamBase
7/2/2010 06:30 AM

Gorillaz Video: "Journey to Plastic Beach"

Dobbers
Dobbers
7/2/2010 09:47 AM

...articles here reading more and more like pitchfork takes everyday...

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
7/2/2010 07:32 PM

^ because of the Gorillaz??? I'm glad they posted something about this super group and both those videos were fucking awesome. These comments are seeming more like pitchfork lately, full of opinionated, closed minded, asses.

Dobbers
Dobbers
7/2/2010 11:10 PM

Man, It’s really too bad that some folks could misconstrue “…reading more and more like pitchfork takes…” for a “…red flag douche bag who will protect the sanctity of his true jammy-ness to any end, even if that means selling out the one ‘music publication’ that is intrinsically tied to his hip lifestyle…”

No, my beef wasn’t with ‘super groups’ (how is Gorillaz a super group anyway??), or with comment sections (and pitchfork doesn’t have a comments section, which clearly feeds into why you wouldn’t understand my comment). The thing is, pitchfork is well known for its wit, clever references, ability to link intra-pitchfork-edly for a fully immersive entertainment experience. I was only commenting on Jambase’s penchant as of late to commit itself fully to the unhinged reproduction of pitchforkesque writing. I don’t blame them, as people involved with the writing on a regular basis are usually likely to smell their own s**t after awhile and assimilate the superior.

Although I certainly identify with and appreciate more of the bands I’m likely to find on jambase, I also realize that the writing is generally bordering on something between my high school newspaper and the back of a bag of dog food. I don’t need someone to gush at length over every show or album that it reviews. I want truth! Not to mention that they are generally at least a few days behind on anything of interest. It’s been a shame to watch jambase slowly unravel these last few years into a sea of its own mediocrity. What was once a proud source of jam music info has turned into a beacon for the same douche bags that can find nothing better to do than flame each other over one band or the other… usually both of which are excellent acts. This publication needs to really be careful where it treads, lest it fall into line with the ranks of ideologies espoused by the proud folks at superfly and Lakai2788.

For what its worth, the Gorillaz have been and continue to be one of my favorite bands of the last ten years. Even the long forgotten gems, the roots of the Gorillaz genesis, Deltron 3030 and Blur’s ‘Think Tank,’ have more merit than most of the stuff that gets churned around here. And so the question naturally becomes, why does this guy even come to this place anymore…? To be honest with you, after tonight Im just not really too sure anymore, enjoy your super groups or whatever man.

electronicjams
electronicjams
7/5/2010 05:52 PM

Supergroup +1

Dobbers
Dobbers
7/5/2010 08:00 PM

Smashy, I do agree 100% with your definition of a supergroup, however I do hesitate to even consider the Gorillaz a group in all but the loosest of definitions, sort of in the way one may suggest that Nine Inch Nails is a groups as well. I ask all 'supergroup aficionados' to consider the rudimentary meaning of the term group, and we must agree that the word in the purest sense conveys the simple idea of 'two or more.' While Jamie Hewitt is widely considered to be the second permanent member... to my knowledge he has yet to contribute musically to the bands offerings (this is in no way to suggest that Hewitt is in any way un-super). While the Gorillaz maintain a vast network of fantastic musical contributors, few of them have appeared consistently during the bands tenure.... including the producers (all of which are quite super).

SO... until Damon figures out how to get Merriam-Webster to change the definition of 'group' to mean a single uber musician who rocks the shit something ridiculous and/or decides to add other permanent members to his group... that are also in the music god category (and not just draw pictures) I maintain my previous stance that the Gorillaz are still not a supergroup.

Lakai2788
Lakai2788
7/6/2010 01:14 AM

I consider them a super group because when they tour and record it's with very notable and accomplished musicians. I also agree with what your saying about the articles but you can't blame me for my reaction since it seems every other article people comment about how jambase is "Pitchforkess" and covering too many indie bands. It gets really annoying after a while reading comments to that effect over and over, so maybe my comment was a bit of a knee jerk reaction but it wasn't baseless.

rulosa01
rulosa01
7/6/2010 09:32 AM

Gorillaz are definitely a super group. They make super music and have super videos. Unfortunately they sometimes spawn less than super internet discussion.

soup

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use