Dark Star Orchestra: Summer Dates
JamBase
JamBase
7/2/2010 06:10 AM

Dark Star Orchestra: Summer Dates

gregboyer
gregboyer
7/2/2010 08:31 AM

The Springfield free show has become a great annual tradition. There were a few thousand people there last year. I think there will be a lot of people leaving GratefulFest for a few hours tonight to see Further in Columbus, and coming back late Fri. or Sat.. I've heard Bob Weir has a problem with the owners of Nelson Ledges and did this intentionally. Anybody got any dirt on this?

j4fern20
j4fern20
7/2/2010 08:50 AM

I don't think it's with the guys at Ledges but more so with DSO themselves. If you look at their schedules Furthur has booked shows at virtually every regular stop for DSO. Different venue, but same area. Battle of the Bands is on!!!

Honestly...DSO sounds better (to me).

happyelandorf
happyelandorf
7/2/2010 09:22 AM

Saw them last weekend at the riverfront in Peoria for the Universal Rhythm Assembly. Lets just say it wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed by any means. They were very mellow the whole night which was kinda awkward after having Cornmeal (they played a shady grove that melted my face off) rage it the night before. I think the only song that I enjoyed that night was the Terrapin. They played a weak Sugaree, which makes me a little sad inside. I think I was diggin the other guy better. Maybe I'm gonna have to catch a Further show....

RealxGuy
RealxGuy
7/2/2010 09:34 AM

oh gimme a break, Furthur is the shit right now, and DSO has ALWAYS sucked to me, i mean its just a dead cover band, might as well go see PHIX and SPlitered sunlight. bottom line, this lineup with furthur is the best post grateful dead band ever, i know its generic jerry and hes from DSO but id rather see phill and bobby up there doing what they do ( listen to BLACK THROATED WIND from coney island and tell me DSO does that better, no f'n way.) if you wanna see the best grateful dead music and the CLOSEST ( because nothing will ever be the same) then go see FURTHUR because they are PEAKING and its beautiful

RealxGuy
RealxGuy
7/2/2010 09:36 AM

battle of the bands???? haha that guy must be friends with DSO, its not even close, furthur sold out every venue, DSO tickets at the door, what battle?????????????

nebuliss
nebuliss
7/2/2010 09:57 AM

I'm down with Dark Star, looking forward to checking out the new lineup at their free show in Springfield next Wednesday...

But Furthur in Columbus tonight... That's the one I've been waiting for!!! ;)~

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
7/2/2010 06:00 PM

Yeah. That's like saying you prefer Walmart peanut butter over Jiffy. Maybe you're just trying to start a fight?

Furthur made me cry in Portland....Black Throated Wind and the Days Between were as good as any version EVER. Ever. They are on fucking fiya.

mattchu
mattchu
7/3/2010 01:16 AM

isnt jiffy kinda shitty penut butter though?

And no puns here. seriously, i love what furthurs doing, and am super thankful ive been able to touch ona truly magical grateful dead journey, and i respect dso and what they do, and always enjoy myself and the music at their show.

chux7487
chux7487
7/4/2010 07:42 AM

hello ashville cashville

DarkstarWolfcub
DarkstarWolfcub
7/5/2010 09:14 AM

I consider myself a Deadhead as much if not more than the standard music-aholic. Although I fell in love with music as a little kid (melodies appeared as toys to me, something as important as any cool little stuffed bear that held my young attention like a beacon of magic)but it wasn't until I 'got it' at Cal Expo 93 (still a babe, eighteen...) I had heard the Beatles and Dylan, Zeppelin and Hendrix, Floyd and the Doors and always assumed it was a right of passage as a contributor to American culture to know what made up the sonic landscape of where I lived. I remember (I'm sure we all have our philosophy on this) walking around lot, completely mesmerized at the drum circles, shakedown street and multitude of brightly colored vehicles amassed by the thousands at any given tour stop. This is not meant to 'reminisce' or wax poetic on what we all have a right to participate in (love, music, life). As I was imbedding the Grateful Dead experince on Summer tour 93, I was immediately struck with the generations of heads co-existing on different levels of having been with the boys over the years. I'm not talking about the weekend warriors who would buy budweiser and hot dogs and officially licensed memoribillia, i'm talking about people raning from 14 to 60 that had 'gotten it' on their own unique level. I guess 93 was the last time that the Dead really had a chance to maintain their longevity (JG had lost 60 pounds, stopped smoking 3 and half packs of unfiltered Camels,and after Barbara came back into Hunter and Jerry's life Days Between was penned...can you imagine never having heard it?) so one one level, I remember tour in 93-95 being like a support group as one heard very regularly the state of Garcia's physical, mental and musical health. So I always felt like I heard people comment on 'when it was better', 'Brent was the real deal' and so on. So just like there are people that like Jiffy PB over Skipp PB there is always going to be different camps of thought on what is 'the real deal'.

I saw the Grateful Dead fifty times from 91-95 (sigh...only one JGB show) and always felt that I 'got it'. This came from carefully obsessing over hundreds of hours of boot-legs and listening with as much honesty as I could muster. There was always a better show, better tour ect... so it was a constant process of evolving with the music and learning where it came from (Coltrane, the Carter Family, ect...) after Shoreline 95 I didn't see any GD related bands until Phil New Years 2000. What I saw that night made me so hungry to seek out what it all sounded like before. Garcia would never have allowed such varied setlists and would not have taken the muscial plunges that Phil ended up reigning in. It was a blessing for Jerry to rest finally and I feel that the music was very Grateful to be released from the stuffy confines of the last years. This being said, as I racked up Phil shows it appeared to me to begin to suffer from the same staleness that had categorized GD at the end. Endless musicians revolved in and out of the Dead scene, and in the process (Phish included of course) Bonaroo signaled the emergence of the next phase of the scene. There is so much to partake of now that it is only natural to weigh in on Further vs. DSO. How do you continue to get it? How do you grow with the world opened up by LSD and Terrapin? Music was here before that and will be, but it is important to remember where this all came from as it will continue to evolve into exciting new modes and forms.

I saw Furtherfest a month ago,and I hadn't seen any GD energy since New Years 2003. I was immediately stuck with the fact that it 'sounds' new. DSO to me sounds like a really tight jam band, but I dont know about them giving me the vibe I have grown to love. I repsect what they are doing immensely, and as a musician, am glad that one can perhaps make a living honoring the fallen giants with the care and efficinecy they do. That being said, Furthur made me reminisce and internalize my musical experience on a level that continues to scare me to this day. Look at Jambase itself, how many of these bands would have had to exist within the 'normal' confines of genres in morphing and pushing the envelope to new levels of creativity? Crazy shit kids....just be good to each other, I toured Festivals for years and remember grimy lot vibes just like at the end of the Boys....(Deercreek notwhtistanding) it wasnt always grimy, but I know that there is something right around the corner to our beloved scene... Take care and remember that the US governemnt classifies the counterculture as a terrorist threat...Be proud of Locks(if you sport em) and honor the herb, because otherwise we will all one day just be relegated to the halls of dinosaur reunion tours in concrete stadiums as our music is disseminated to the normal average, ENTERTAINMENT.... Bullshit, this is the keys to evolve the human race a step forward and to live simply (JG's words) peace yo...

dillybube
dillybube
7/5/2010 04:09 PM

um....the more the 'deadhead trip' evolves the more it morphs and perverts. like followers of jesus fucking christ 'what it is' becomes a creation and profit/power tool of the church and those bother to entertain whatever notions brought it to be. dso makes megabucks like jim and tammyfay. further hardly goes any further than a coverband and the kids are apparently cutting their throats out on 'shakedown street' - thats what we call 'our cities' 'skid row'.

it was hot at 'expo in '93.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use