NIN, My Morning Jacket & Others Join Arizona Boycott
JamBase
JamBase
6/28/2010 12:00 AM

NIN, My Morning Jacket & Others Join Arizona Boycott

travpf
travpf
6/29/2010 07:00 AM

Charlie Levy's letter is spot on. Everytime I read about an artist boycotting the State, I thought what a fool they are to ignore the entire State instead of going into the problem and making your point known from within. Most of those people that live there and support those bands don't have a choice to up and leave the State. Why punish them for living there? Aren't they already being punished as it is to a degree? As an artist, go and play to those people who most likely share your ideals and tell them we understand your State has this law in force that is discriminatory and we want to help remove it. Instead these artist refrain from going there whatsoever which to me is ingoring the situation. Go play and donate the proceeds to programs fighting to overturn the laws. KUDOS to the great letter by Charlie Levy. I only hope the artist read it and actually take something from it.

mackadocious
mackadocious
6/29/2010 07:01 AM

I read that bands have canceled shows in Arizona recently. Why make the fans suffer? That's number 1. Number 2 - I need help understanding why this law is so controversial: Illegal immigrants are LAW BREAKERS, not bad people, but law breakers none the less. If you earned your citizenship legally then you should have nothing to worry about. It's very hard for a foreigner to gain admittance into the US, but sneaking into the country is a slap in the face to all those that spent years doing it the legal way. Maybe the problem is AZ cops profiling(?) The people sneaking in from south of the border don't look like Tom Cruise; not to say that these hombres aren't handsome as fuck.

Sorry for getting on the web-soap box, but I needed to vent after reading about Tom Morello comparing this to apartheid. Maybe one of you can enlighten me as I haven't read too much into the issue.

lovemusical
lovemusical
6/29/2010 07:18 AM

What do illegal immigrants look like? Do they look different than legal immigrants, or brown skin U.S. Citizens?

buddhistprodigy
buddhistprodigy
6/29/2010 07:20 AM

The law is controversial and people will take one side or the other, but I have two points that have nothing to do with the law.

1) How many fucking times is NIN going to play a "last show" and then somehow boycott some shit?

2) Is it just me or do other people think that Zack De La Rocha singing just sounds funny? I mean, seriously, that shit was fire back in the adolescent days, but now anything with him sounds exactly the same as it did then....which leads me to say the following: irrelevant.

articgtp
articgtp
6/29/2010 07:27 AM

The problem isn't that they are no longer allowing illegal immigrants, because they were never obviously allowed in the first place.

The issue is that can stop and "profile" anyone who may be an immigrant, or fits the scope of an immigrant.

While i have an issue with that law in general, i don't have a problem with our government, local or federal, policing our laws.

If you want to look at a very logical and much more hardlined stance on immigration look no further that the same people who take issue with this.

The Mexico Immigration policy is the same one the US should adapt, its almost makes too much sense, but read it for yourself and decide.

Link below:

http://borderalert.usbc.org/enforcement/think-arizonas-immigration-law-is-too-harsh

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
6/29/2010 07:34 AM

As a South Carolinian, I remember when EVERY African-American artist, as well as many others supporting their cause, boycotted our state until we removed the confederate flag from atop the Statehouse. Sure, i missed a lot of good music back then, but I wasn't thinking about the "loss" I was experiencing from missing that music. I wanted the fucking flag to come down! I'm pretty sure most in Arizona feel the same way about their particular situation.,

jazzfester
jazzfester
6/29/2010 07:45 AM

Well, since "Chachi on Acid" and "Los Faggots" are boycotting, I am boycotting as well.

wastintimejp
wastintimejp
6/29/2010 07:58 AM

Do yourself a favor and boycott these bands. You really think you are making a difference in politics by boycotting your fans in Arizona? No, you are punishing your fans who live in Arizona. I live in Arizona and I don't agree with the bill. But instead of boycotting the state I live in, I stay in ground zero and do what I can do to make sure this bill get's dropped.

Why don't these pussies... er I mean 3rd rate artists come down to Arizona and have a big fundraiser and donate the money to organizations that are actually trying to stop this bill.

gocards06
gocards06
6/29/2010 08:01 AM

Didn;t NIN do a farewell tour like 2 years ago? time to get over yourselves and move on.

these are all weak ass bands anyway - and what is so wrong with keeping illegal people out of our country when the feds won't help?

boknows
boknows
6/29/2010 08:47 AM

F U I won't do what you tell me Zach!!!!

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
6/29/2010 08:49 AM

Cards...MMJ is FAR from a weak ass band

Kdiddybaby
Kdiddybaby
6/29/2010 09:09 AM

what a bunch of a holes to not play music for the fans who bought tickets. Don't punish the bands because you don't agree with a bill in a state you don't even live in. What a bunch of a holes.

funkle
funkle
6/29/2010 09:22 AM

I understand wanting to get involved, I understand this law will have major impact nation wide no matter how it rolls out. Regardless of which "side" of this debate you are on, boycotting AZ has a more negative effect on those who are already scared, so now your taking away their food and ability to provide for their family. More misguided and under informed actions by groups tying to jump on the band wagon to be political. Try reading first, the bill is quite short, educate yourself and understand before boycotting a state over its governments policies.

Be passionate and be heard but educate yourself and speak about what you know, not what you have heard. Boycotting AZ is having a seriously adverse effect on those individuals you think you are helping.

Think for yourselves, stop accepting everything from the social/liberal media as the gospel .

Sheep, sheep, sheep.

Rastaman1luv
Rastaman1luv
6/29/2010 10:08 AM

More and more dumb ass groups for me to never listen to again. Must be nice to not want to have your own country. Lets just let everyone in. Go AZ!!!! I support you 110%.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use