Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

17 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Nateva/High Sierra Festival Previews
JamBase
JamBase
6/25/2010 12:00 AM

Nateva/High Sierra Festival Previews
With summer fest season in full swing, JamBase offers up useful links and sound advice on non-headliners worth your precious time at two major 4th of July gatheringsā€¦

Beaser
Beaser
6/26/2010 06:35 AM

"Maine hasn't had a gathering like the inaugural Nateva Music and Arts Festival before.."

So what about Up North Music and Arts Festival 2 years ago...though the Nateva line up is definitely better and it should be fun, its also twice as much. I'm not going but I'm sure teh 15,000 people that are will have a good time.

Beaser
Beaser
6/26/2010 09:55 AM

*Twice as much money and people, that is. BTW - good call on the Greensky Bluegrass Dennis...I'm going to to see them next week and can't wait.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
6/26/2010 01:16 PM

If your headed to HS please do yourself a favor and check out the Nels Cline singers. That clip doesn't do them justice at all. The best live music I've seen has came from this amazing trio. I'm bummed a opted to skip this year for an all out assault on next year.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
6/26/2010 02:26 PM

gee...high sierra sure does look weak this year. and this preview just made me think it looks twice as weak. On a more positive note... kudos to the writer of this article cus greensky bluegrass is the sh1t

phi2thelip
phi2thelip
6/26/2010 06:15 PM

saw moonalice in Tahoe this winter and it was the most boring show I've EVER been to... like high school battle of the bands bad

androckguitar
androckguitar
6/27/2010 10:17 AM

Getting stoked for High Sierra....i think the line up looks good. Widespread, Crowes, etc.

best vibe out there.

jimithing1221
jimithing1221
6/28/2010 12:10 AM

moonalice sucks

DannyMcBride
DannyMcBride
6/28/2010 01:32 AM

I second Dennis Cook on Nicki Bluhm. That video DOES NOT DO HER JUSTICE. Its a couple years old. I've seen them several times, last with Tea Leaf Green at Great American Music Hall in April and they are so much better than that now. Maybe it's my age, but that girl and that band just reminds me a lot of a sound that I thought didn't exists anymore. If you twist one and kick your shoes off and ride the vibe, you'll get an all time fun groove'n'sway session..

Nels Clines is the stuff too and this video does not do them justice. And by the law of Your Schedule Will Always Have Rough Choices...they play at the same time as Nicki Bluhm's Big Meadow set. Dammit. But I will catch them Thursday evening.

Nateva does look good, but for this west coaster, High Sierra's lineup (especially a lot of these smaller bands) looks just about perfect!

tourmaniac
tourmaniac
6/28/2010 06:07 PM

I didn't even know about this festival until I read this article. I must be a n00b.

rastarusty
rastarusty
6/28/2010 11:06 PM

Had to bail my plans for nateva. And I've been pumped for it since the beginning even before they announced bands. Stupid car had to break down and cost me some $$$

all good will be my first fest of the year.

Hankskool
Hankskool
6/29/2010 05:08 AM

I'm thinking of doing a one day run up there for WSP on Friday. Not sure yet.

Any of you coming to this festival who are unfamiliar wih the area,do yourselves a HUGE favor, and please tell your friends as well, to be extremely careful if you are driving in from the I 80 route and turning up to Quincy from Truckee. The small town of truckee has THREE operating police forces that very agggressively patrol the 89 / 80 intersection, all just trolling for their cut . They will make a problem where there isn't one just to assert their menacing presence. The ethics and professionalism of what they do is beyond "iffy". They're an industry and they act like one. Please be as careful as possible heading in and coming back out.

Gizmo
Gizmo
6/29/2010 11:46 AM

i really like moonalice. they continue to get better, and ever since they added Molo on drums, the combo of Sless, Sears, and Molo is super tight. if you're going to Nateva, i highly recommend checking them out. come to your own conclusion, they're obviously super talented!

Hankskool
Hankskool
6/29/2010 12:21 PM

I saw Moonalice a couple of years ago in Crystal Bay and really enjoyed it. Didn't know what to expect but liked what I heard. Kimmock played with them that night. I was thinking the same thing. Now that Molo is with them , one of my favorite all time live drummers,thank you very much Phil Lesh, they've gotta be really a tight little outfit.

tommont
tommont
6/30/2010 04:04 AM

thanx for putting this up Dennis. i have a lot of stuff i want to fit in, just so psyched to be going this year after 5 year hiatus after making 8 straight b4 that. CoreyBauer you gotta be kidding? weak schedule? oh well, stay home. we'll all have a blast and hear some *amazing* music. You just don't have very deep nor broad tastes I'm guessing. Something like Vidacovich / Walter duo (or Cline Singers ...who I love, listen to hotchkiss, that man knows) is just probably beyond you. Fleck/Hussain/Meyer. Dr. Dog. Poor Man's Whiskey. Femi Kuti & Positive Force. TROMBONE SHORTY!!! Amendola v Blades. Kate Gaffney Band. Avett Brothers. Coryell/Auger/Sample Trio. The Infamous Stringdusters. The New Mastersounds. Rubblebucket. Orgone. KDTU! WSP, Crowes, Ozo. Carolina Chocolate Drops. the legendary Preservation Hall Jazz Band. i daresay, and not to belittle you, but you are like some of the folks that don't show up to great shows in the Bay Area. i always say "...they wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass". Well, you have fun with whatever it is you are doing this coming weekend.

HIGH SIEEEERRRRRRAAAAAAA!!!!!!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use