Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

19 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Bonnaroo 2010 Preview
JamBase
JamBase
6/7/2010 12:00 AM

Bonnaroo 2010 Preview
We've got you covered for this year's trip to Manchester with daytime and late night recommendations, videos, helpful hints, and a look at Bonnaroo's past…

beernuts420
beernuts420
6/7/2010 05:44 PM

I'm 100% more excited - Somebody do my homework for me, because I feel like I'm on vacation already :)

beernuts420
beernuts420
6/7/2010 05:46 PM

Anyone know how thorough the security checks are?

SwordfishTrombone
SwordfishTrombone
6/7/2010 07:48 PM

Security can be a bit of a problem. I loaded everything in my back seat and locked the trunk and told them I didn't have anything in there and didn't have a key to the trunk (which was true, my friend in the passenger's seat had that key). No bottles, they don't like them and don't be stupid, don't smoke or do anything illegal on the ride down, local cops wait for this shit every year.

I like the shout for Edward Sharpe and the MZs and Dr Dog, great bands to see.

rastarusty
rastarusty
6/8/2010 02:56 AM

the timeline of good moments was nice, even though the lineup is not very good this year.

beernuts420-Saying don't smoke on the way down is kind of hard, but be super careful. Keep the windows all the way down and blow that shit out. Don't speed to much especially when you get within a few 100 miles. Cops know by now that there are a shitload of people heading there and most on the major highways. Major patrols will be out for sure everywhere. You will see plenty of cars getting searched along the drive. Just be smart, don't do anything stupid. When you get there you might hit the nightmare traffic jam. this can be a 10 hour thing( I waited 8 hours last year) Everyone is getting a little anxious and ready to party. Go ahead and enjoy yourself, but don't get too fucked up. the security going in can be anything from a here's my ticket and in, too a full car search. Smaller stuff they usually don't care too much about but be smart and just hide anything just in case. Once you get in have a good time. Unless you're an idiot you shouldn't have any problems inside. Inside security for centeroo can be a pain especially right before the headliners when everyone is trying to get in. Sometimes you can wait forever, sometimes they just start letting everyone through to keep the line moving.

Important things. Lots and lots of bottled water. It's hot as balls there you need to stay hydrated especially with the party favors. You can refill your bottles in centeroo(seriously huge live savor) Sometimes they will run out and you'll have to walk to one of the other stations. Be prepared for lines later in the day on the ones closest to the main stages. After thousands of people fill there bottles all day they start to run dry. The main ones might only have a couple working or all slow working faucets.

Bring food to last you the first day or a couple days is better. You will probably get parked in and you might not be able to get out and run to the store. If you don't have food and get parked in, walk to the entrance and hitch a ride, or find some people in the campground going for food.

Watch out for bunk party favors, I didn't have any problems. Just be smart, but they are there everywhere, don't waste your money on the unlegit.

If you park at night on thursday/early friday morning, remember where you are, try to find a landmark.(The balloons in the air, landmarks, and knowing the name of the area you;re in can be a huge help) Remember, there are 10s of thousands of people there, Your red car and blue easy up might not be very easy to find. Then the fact that many people tend to rage it hard on thursday after being cramped in the car. Getting too fucked up, mixed with more and more rows of cars constantly appearing can make finding your home very difficult. ( I experienced a bad case of this my first night first roo. Not very fun when you can't find home.)

Bring and extra key and keep it somewhere like in your wallet or shoe lace, lanyard or something. They have locksmiths on site but paying 50 bucks for that can really kill your buzz and money supply.

Meet your neighbors from the start. Help some people out setting up tents or ask for help for yours. People may not be as heady as other fests

(especially this year) But do your best. Knowing the people around you is always a big help and way more fun.

Try to get some sleep when you can. the fact that theres bands playing from 11 till 4-6 am can make it hard. Plus the fact that it your tent can be 100 at 7 in the morning. Put it under the easy up. ( If you don't have one buy one) Not getting enough sleep can mess with you. You might be tired all day, or sometimes miss the bands you wanted to see.

Bring a bunch of copies of schedules. If you don't, you can always look at the book they give you for info. Ask people what some good bands to check out are. You might catch something sick that you had never heard of. Try to highlight the bands that you really want to see/can't miss. There are a ton of bands, it's hard to impossible to catch everything, but with the close stages you can catch a little bit of everything and stay and rage the shows that you really went there for.

Just be safe and look out for everyone around you. Keep an eye on your friends and make sure they know how to keep an eye on people and what to do for help just in case(Lot's of people go to roo as there first fest ever) Keep an out for people in trouble even if you don't know them. If somebody is in rough shape, the random person helping them out could be a big deal to them, or even a life or death thing.

People die at roo every year. Don't let it kill your buzz, but don't forget about it. Remember to be safe and really watch out for your friends and fellow ragers on the farm.

Lastly have a good fucking time. It's bonnaroo, you're supposed to enjoy it. Best of luck and have a good time

beernuts420
beernuts420
6/8/2010 04:33 AM

Wow, lots of good advice from Roo Vets - Thanks :) The weather could be an interesting factor this year - current prediction is Isolated T-Storms all 4 days. Could add an element of fun or it could suck ass, but I tend to be an optimist. If the tent gets too wet there's always the car.

shonuff
shonuff
6/8/2010 05:34 AM

I disagree about the line-up this year (the headliners are questionable), but here is the best piece of advice I can give you from going to the roo'

Check out alot of the bands in the tents in between main stage acts. It gets you out of the sun for awhile, and the tent atmosphere is really great. I think the one day has Mumford and Sons, John Prine, and Dave Rawlings Machine all in the same tent. I would park it there for the day and chill

jazzfester
jazzfester
6/8/2010 07:55 AM

Good advice from all above. DO NOT SPEED.

bruff76
bruff76
6/8/2010 08:04 AM

GWAR. Geezus. At Bonnaroo? Why? Why GWAR? Anyone stoked to see GWAR? Anyone?

jazzfester
jazzfester
6/8/2010 08:11 AM

One more thing--bring comfortable supportive shoes that are tried and true. You have no idea how long you will be walking/standing/dancing and your feet will need some help. No flip-flops--they just flip mud onto the backs of your legs when the rain comes and the puddles can get deep so loss of 1 shoe is easy.

Rusty, you are a true asset to the scene with all of your advice. That novel took some time to compose. Good advice all through.

beernuts420
beernuts420
6/8/2010 08:46 AM

I may go into GWAR - Take a Picture - Stay for 5 Minutes - Then Leave. I like theatrical performances, but I'm not a metal fan. Their costumes remind me of the movie "Legend" or the cartoon "Conan: The Barbarian" (one of my favorites). On the other hand, if I'm trippin I'm definitely not going to see GWAR.

toeknee420
toeknee420
6/8/2010 08:53 AM

Enjoy "WalMart Fest" you n00b @$$ custys. THat place is deader than Michael Jackson.

beernuts420
beernuts420
6/8/2010 09:36 AM

What does a$$ custys mean? I figured that I've got to go to Roo at least once. Just to get a feel for the size of it and there are a ton of great bands to see. It's gonna be the biggest fest I've been too, probably 2-3 times bigger than the biggest I've been too, which was either Waka '09, 10K '05, or 10K '06.

PimpMCGeorge
PimpMCGeorge
6/8/2010 10:30 AM

Let's make sure we get some tapers at that KoL set.

ointment
ointment
6/8/2010 11:08 AM

best festival year after year. sure the heat, long walks, and headliners arent great, but you cant go wrong with trombone shorty, edward sharpe, carolina chocolate drops, umphreys, the black keys, the crystal method, jimmy cliff, the dead weather, jeff beck, stevie wonder, thievery corporation, calexico, john fogerty, ween, mmw. anyone who uses the term custy is jus some douche who pays more attention to the drug scene then the music at a festival. have fun seein the same music over an over again at allgood and vibes u wooks.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use