Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

22 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
My Morning Jacket | 04.30 | North Carolina
JamBase
JamBase
5/7/2010 12:00 AM

My Morning Jacket | 04.30 | North Carolina
Even when the crowd atmosphere and sound are working against them, MMJ still deliver...

youknowit
youknowit
5/7/2010 06:34 PM

Was at the Columbus show, there was none of this frat boyish behavior going on there and there were no glow sticks as well. Amazing show. I saw them 4 years ago and they are just a powerhouse right now. If you've never seen them, now is the time. They will only be getting better though.

Kage4
Kage4
5/7/2010 08:55 PM

sweet photo

chux7487
chux7487
5/7/2010 11:56 PM

LOVING the recent NC love FUCK YES!!! mmj is the shit tho for real good review sucks the crowd was bitchin, awesome venue really nice scene, always too quiet tho no doubt about it.

Todaronj
Todaronj
5/8/2010 05:32 AM

Want to point out the photos were not taken by me. Credit is due to Lane Flexner.

adpelliccia
adpelliccia
5/8/2010 06:16 AM

The show was great, but i agree with that frat boy feel in the pit and the low volume. Charleston was much more face melting.

tpalumbo
tpalumbo
5/8/2010 06:43 AM

"Move on Up" didn't premiere at MSG in 08.... remember Lollapalooza that summer?? With the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra... Just saying. One of the most memorable experiences at any concert ever. Should be noted.

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
5/8/2010 09:08 AM

that venue is the worst outdoor one in the area. it's surrounded by neighborhoods, as the reviewer mentions, and shows start ridiculously early to accomodate the bitchy residents. also, the parking lot is in the middle of a corporate office building. add a bunch of drunk fratboys and you've got a shitty, shitty atmosphere. that's why only one or two respectable acts really play there each year.

the new downtown amphitheatre will be open by the time they come around again (whenever that may be) and would be a much better place for them to play.

jtaylor365
jtaylor365
5/8/2010 09:08 AM

I was at this show and I had a fantastic time, I'm not quite sure what the reviewer is complaining about. Yes the sound was low compared to many venues, but that is the way it always is at Koka Booth and I expected that (maybe the reviewer's first show at this venue-idk). As far as the rowdy frat bros are concerned, I was not in the pit and never had a problem with them. From the lawn I had a completely pleasant experience, no one bumped into me, spilled beer on me, throw a glowstick at me, or tried to fight me ect. Maybe all the bad apples were down in the pit, and this is likely. I agree with the reviewer tat the performance by the band was stellar, I just don't agree that they were "making the best out of a bad situation." Jim James seemed to be having a blast, he keept making jokes about Koka Booth's name (I think he said CoCo puffs were invented there-lol) and saying how beautiful the venue is. Also I didn't think the glowstick thig was a problem, I thought the band got a kick out of it, but I was further back and I enjoyed the visual display of the glowstick war.

Bottom line--I guess you can have a totally different concert experience as someone else and be at the same show. For me it was a perfect night!

rightback420
rightback420
5/8/2010 09:30 AM

I totally agree with the review. My Morning Jacket was electric as usual. They put so much energy into their shows. The crowd was in fact filled with what I like to call the "pretty people." These people are more about being seen then hearing the music. The people around me were talking the whole time pretty much or posing for pictures. The low volume wouldn't of been a problem if the majority of people would shut the fuck up. It was like this when I saw them at Myrtle Beach two years ago. Thankfully the performance that MMJ puts on, is more than enough to make their shows worth going to. Please frat boys stay away from concerts. Just stay at home and play the cd really loud while chugging your beers.

Todaronj
Todaronj
5/8/2010 02:16 PM

@tpalumbo: Good call. I went to fact check at MMJ's archive site and the search engine had Move On Up's earliest performance at MSG.

@jtaylor365: This was my fourth Koka show. Kind of knew the sound would be disappointing, but thought in the pit it'd be much louder.

fadel
fadel
5/8/2010 09:57 PM

I cant believe how accurate this review is.

Yes, you could barely hear MMJ, but there was a bigger issue. Douche bags: Everywhere. The most gorgeous songs were just straight up polluted with insecure, social network paying rednecks getting drunk for the first time. No shit: Worst crowd ever. However, if it was louder we may have been able to drain the poison.

Cary crowd: Stay at Dave Matthews shows and stay away from the ones that require soul.

Come back to NC boys....just don't go to Cary.

P.S. Steam engine was epic.

tourfan
tourfan
5/9/2010 08:41 AM

Props to Nick for writing one of the better reviews I've read hear at JB in a long time. I was not there, but felt as though he really gave a fine representation of the show as a whole. Crowd experience, music, sound. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing with us.

rivertrance2
rivertrance2
5/9/2010 09:13 AM

Yeah I agree about this venue, I saw OCMS and John Prine this past Friday evening and the freakin crowd was full of loud mouths, drunks that rather talk than listen to the performers. The security was too up tight, you took one step into the aisle and they were on your ass. I tried moving away from the loud mouths in back of me to open seats in front of me an the security acted like I committed murder. I LOVE the NC music scene!!!!! I hate this venue. I love My Morning Jacket but was shooting footage at Merlefest and missed this show. YES! please come back to North Carolina, just stay away from Cary!

jimmyjetski
jimmyjetski
5/9/2010 11:59 AM

The Jacket was loud yet nuanced at Merriweather. Stellar show A++. Too bad about this gig.

Glow sticks are dangerousand and could cause eye injury. Glow sticks should be banned. I'm waiting for Trey or Mike to get pegged between the eyes and end the show right there.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use