Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

35 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
Eagles | 05.01 | San Jose
deceasedlavy
deceasedlavy
5/11/2010 11:44 AM

Way to go, JamBase. You got 30 comments on an article about still-talented has-beens, from people whose minds will not be changed one way or the other. Here's to pushing boundaries and staying relevant!

gregboyer
gregboyer
5/13/2010 01:35 PM

The Eagles are way overpriced and that's why I've never seen them. Having said that, Seven Bridges Road is a great opener with the harmonies. I wonder if it sounded anywhere near as good as on Eagles Live-one of the best live albums of the seventies thanks largely to Joe Walsh. They could throw some more forgotten tunes into their set (Midnight Flyer, Those Shoes, many others) and lay off the hits and recent stuff a little bit. Even the Stones have done that on recent tours. As is I would almost rather see Joe solo than a tired, uninspired One Of These Nights and the other hits they've played a million times for millions of dollars.

Falcon65
Falcon65
5/13/2010 05:00 PM

These guys were way better before they traded McNabb.

kaiserbun
kaiserbun
5/14/2010 01:19 PM

JeffRad has said it right, there is a bunch of musical ignorance on here. The Eagles are incredibly talented. You can call them cheesy and overpriced, but they are incredible songwriters and very good musicians. I also hate it when people use the term "session musician" to try and make musicians look bad. Sam Bush makes a ton of money writing songs for country bands and playing on various country albums as a session musician outside of his own band. He must be a terrible musician. Ridiculous

Grupp
Grupp
5/25/2010 12:52 PM

kaiserbun - since you seem to be picking on me, I want to clarify/rebut my seeming ignorance. In actuality, my statements were direct and factual. Here is a copy of the original post:

"Can't believe these guys are filling a 20,000 seat venue - twice. How are all these people coming up with the ticket price? I'm sure these guys showed some spunk - 60 is the new 45. Look at Gene Simmons at 60, or Phil Lesh at 70...I mean, the Eagles are a bunch of session musicians who had a knack for hooks - rock and roll isn't hard, and they should be REALLY good at it by now. But with all these nostalgia acts on tour over summer - Frampton and Yes, REO with Pat Benetar, Berlin and the GO GO's...where do you draw the line, tamser4035? You wanna go to ANY show? Why? Stay home and listen to the Eagles Greatest Hits for the 37,000th time. It's cheaper."

The term "session musician" applies to the members of the Eagles - they got their initial break playing on record sessions and then touring with Linda Ronstadt, then wrote some tunes after she encouraged them personally, which led to being signed by Geffen. That's in the history books.

The next part of your post, where you claim that the term was used to "try and make musicians look bad" - that's not there, and not what I meant to imply. They are/were incredible songwriters, and changed the face of FM radio as well as the musical landscape. You can't travel to any backpacker hostel without somebody playing "Hotel California!" I'm not questioning their musicianship. I'm saying, simply, that I can't believe that in this economy, they filled an arena twice, in one week, in the same town, at $85-225 per seat, to hear them play those songs, and that anyone would be surprised that it sounds good. They should be REALLY good at it by now. It's only rock and roll. And people obviously like it.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use