Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

18 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
JamBase Questionnaire: John Butler
JamBase
JamBase
4/30/2010 12:00 AM

JamBase Questionnaire: John Butler
The Australian cat with the slamming Trio gets into Iron Maiden, Missy Elliot, kookaburras, skateboarding and childhood dreams of being a Green Beret in our new feature...

Booze
Booze
4/30/2010 06:26 PM

This guy is a douche, I read in another interview that he called Jerry "mediocre" and that he noodled to much. Jerry had more talent in his left nut then this guy could even dream of having. And his music is terrible, what a hack. Another great interview from Hipsterbase.

trpnbily87
trpnbily87
5/1/2010 02:13 AM

another view:

John Butler is excellent. Check out these tunes for a glimpse: treat yo mama, company sin, peaches and cream, daniella, zebra, ocean

those are the ones i can think of while drunk. John Butler stinks for switching bands - shannon and michael were awesome, and JB stinks for that... but he's still cool

bigfro
bigfro
5/1/2010 06:53 AM

This guy hates bands that jam because he isn't good enough to himself. He has been embrace by our scen, but look down on it. He is also in his twenties and he sits in a chair while he performs killing the vibe and the dancing. Maybe he's tired

bigfro
bigfro
5/1/2010 06:54 AM

JOhn Butler won't ever be as popular as Jerry. All of his songs sound the same

snappy
snappy
5/1/2010 08:23 AM

Looked all over the web and didn't find an interview where Butler said Garcia was mediocre. Got a link or source? A lot of shots being taken at this guy, be nice to see some substantiation for the claims. Character assassination is rarely cool, especially if it's just mouthing off.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
5/1/2010 08:35 AM

Beatles 4, Stones 0.

Snappy brings up a good point Booze. Got a link?

Zoso2517
Zoso2517
5/1/2010 10:55 AM

At least this was better than murph. John Butler shreds the 12 string. Not everyone thinks Jerry is god's gift to guitar...

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
5/1/2010 11:31 AM

^ agreed.

bigworld
bigworld
5/1/2010 12:29 PM

I love JBT, i think the dude keeps it real. I think his music treads towards the realm of pop but there is nothing wrong with that. The Grateful Dead wrote pop songs - The Beatles and Stones wrote pop songs. His stuff is catchy and definitely has some substance behind the lyrics.

for the skeptics: Id highly recommend checking out his live CDs "Living 2001-2002" or "Live at St. Gallen" I think it would be hard for any music lover to not, at the very least, appreciate these albums...

bacano
bacano
5/1/2010 02:09 PM

Way to go Butler, you are opening up for an openly gay artist in Melissa Etheridge on 5/22 in San Francisco of all places and are being quoted as saying, "Don't know. I think if I answer this it will just sound gay. It's one of those kind of questions". For trying so hard to be cerebral, creative, unique, and worldly, you simply sound like a narrow minded pipsqueak.

thelloyd
thelloyd
5/1/2010 07:10 PM

So maybe he is heterosexual??? Last time I checked real gay people don't give a shit if straight people are straight. Why are people picking him apart? When I saw him in 07 he made the experience feel personal even in a large outdoor setting, and brought some serious guitar skills. plus he is on his own label; the man is hardworking. I give him props for doing new things, and hopefully taking it all in stride so he can continue with stronger efforts.

trpnbily87
trpnbily87
5/3/2010 12:33 AM

you dont need to pickapart me

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
5/3/2010 08:50 AM

saying something is "gay" is not hatespeech, take your pc thuggery elsewhere. and props to butler for being at least 5 times cooler than murph

fleaflicker420
fleaflicker420
5/3/2010 08:58 AM

I used to love JBT, seen him a dozen or so times. His music used to be great, now it's just lame mainstream garbage... What kind of conceded asshole fires his own band? It's Shannon and Michaels music just as much as it's his, they helped make it what it is. How would you feel if you were kicked out of a band and now other dudes are playing the music that you laid down and made the song what it is. He can preach all he wants in his songs but he's no better than what he sings about, he's the corporate bitch now!!!!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use