Alberta Cross: Tour w/ Ben Harper Them Crooked Vultures
JamBase
JamBase
4/20/2010 12:00 AM

Alberta Cross: Tour w/ Ben Harper Them Crooked Vultures

Hollowdweller
Hollowdweller
4/22/2010 09:15 AM

I saw these guys recently warming up for Ben Harper in Athens.

Felt like I wasted an hour I could have been outside walking around or something.

The band doesn't really jam, there's not really any guitar or other solos to keep things interesting, they are really loud but their sound was so terribly muddy that you couldn't hear the vocals at all.

If you have a band that has nothing going on instrumentally, and the sound is so bad that you can't hear the lyrics you don't have much to groove on.

Interesting was they did a number w/o the guitar and it was much clearer and I could hear some of the lyrics which seemed interesting, but as soon as he plugged back in it was just LOUD with no perks.

This made me worried about Ben Harper since his songs are so lyrical but his sound was killer. Even on the very loud numbers you could hear the lyrics.

scottebruce
scottebruce
4/22/2010 10:48 AM

funny you say this......because I completely disagree with you. This is probably one of my new favorite bands over the last 6 months to a year. I saw them open for Phosphorescent at the Earl in Atlanta about 6 months ago or so, and I thought they rocked! I bought their album shortly after that and it is an amazing album.....really only 1 song that I don't like.

Now, I have only seen them live once, but I liked the fact that they were loud (not too loud, but they did rock!), and I could hear them fine in the venue I saw them at. The vocalist does use a lot of reverb in his mic, but he has a great voice.

Anyway, to each their own I guess.....

asweany1
asweany1
4/22/2010 06:10 PM

I was at that show at The Earl... It was one of the best shows I saw last year. They tear it up every time I've seen them. I just wish they were doing a headlining show in ATL. ALBERTA!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use