Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

31 Total Messages • Page 2 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 Next » 
All Good Adds: Grace Keller & Keels, Late Night Bands
Danimal
Danimal
4/21/2010 06:46 PM

The New Deal is the late night I'm most excited for now that Um isn't getting one.

FroDaddyJR
FroDaddyJR
4/21/2010 08:24 PM

I seriously think they will give UM at least two hours. You don't put a headlining band on for only 1 1/2. Every headliner i can think of has at least gotten 2 hours. G.R.A.B, Crowes, moe., bobdogx2, Phil and Friends, Panic, Mule, Harper, All got 2 if not 3 hours. Granted I know there is only so much time in one day, this is my thinking....Start saturday at 11 instead of noon, let UM and other bands benefit from an earlier start time. I really wish they would cut down on the number of (smaller)bands that way some don't get stuck with 20 or 30 min sets.

FroDaddyJR
FroDaddyJR
4/21/2010 08:30 PM

Never seen New Deal, only heard good things and the Join a couple of years ago was the tits. I'm really interested in seeing what Yonder is going to bring to the table. Bet they already have something sweet planned and I'm honestly getting real pumped for them after the initial heartbreak of no UM late nigh...the I realized that their set last year was absolutely everything I wanted it to be and I really couldn't have pictured a more perfect night than that one. I'm so ready for July, Can't wait to see everyone on the mountain for yet another great time.

FroDaddyJR
FroDaddyJR
4/21/2010 08:30 PM

Sorry for the essay

jamlee
jamlee
4/21/2010 09:38 PM

for all the great bands that All Good has this year, I think it's the weakest late night line up since I started going to the festival 5 years ago. Yonder, they can definitely put on a good late night show (for those of you who don't believe me check out some of the "String Summit" festival from last year), however at a festival as big as all good, not sure that they can keep a crowd that size energized for that long, that late at night. Lotus as the other main late night? Come on, Lotus is a good band and all but I think they deserve to be where they were in 2005, on the side stage. A 45 minute set is more than enough to listen to Lotus' dance beat with catchy melodic melodies. Their music simply does not cover enough ground or vary enough to play a 3 hour late night set. All I have to say is I hope you get some good stuff for the late night shows, otherwise it might be hard to stay interested.

JBauer1
JBauer1
4/22/2010 06:49 AM

One of the best lineups for all the summer fests out there. And moonshine and bluegrass in the mornin sounds pretty damn good. Larry and the boys better bring the barrel cause I cant see walther productions sellin hard liquor to 15,000 ppl, can you imagine that many shined up fools in one location. I'll be sure to bring my corn @ 180 proof.

fsmid16
fsmid16
4/22/2010 11:52 AM

Lotus doesn't cover enough ground or "vary enough" fro a 3 hour late night set? Did you see their 3+ hour set last year on thursday at all good? Guess not. Seemed to cover a lot of ground there. Lotus is on the up-swing and have getting better and better, friday main stage late night is the perfect culmination of the direction they have been heading. If you are complaining about lotus late night you are can not be pleased. That's already in the running for the set of the weekend 3 months in advance.

jamlee
jamlee
4/22/2010 12:20 PM

Yes I heard Lotus' late night set last year and I stick to my original statement. I agree that Lotus is on the up, however unlike a lot of the underground jam scene, trans/house/electronica music doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as most of the other jam bands out there. It's one thing to incorporate into your music, like Umphrey's, Moe, String Cheese, or many other bands out there, but there is no variation besides tempo with most of these new wave "dance bands". Thats just my opinion, I know a lot of people don't agree with it, and I'm not saying I'm right and your wrong. I'm simply expressing my opinion. There is never going to be a band that pleases everyone, or a festival lineup that pleases everyone even. That's the beauty of music it's subjective and we can talk about it!

ratatatpat
ratatatpat
4/22/2010 01:45 PM

Lineup A+ Set times C- How can UM not be a late nite this year? And no UM side projects, 30db, Omega Moos. Each time something gets announced for All Good I get a little less excited. Grace Potter is aweful, why do people love her?

PhunkyAdam
PhunkyAdam
4/22/2010 04:40 PM

Cause she's hot, duh. Seriously though, I am kind of worried about the New Deal playing a Thursday night late night set. I hope I don't burn 4 days worth of energy during their set, cause I can recall very few times i've raged as hard as when I saw tND a year or two ago. Seriously, those on the Mtn top that have never seen them are going to be blown away. The New Deal will be talked about all night on Thursday.

Danimal
Danimal
4/22/2010 05:10 PM

FroDaddy- Umphrey's is only getting 90 minutes. This isn't speculation, Tim Walther told me.

fsmid16
fsmid16
4/22/2010 05:13 PM

Jamlee---I don't think you are giving Lotus enough credit for what they are doing. You do them a disservice by lumping them into the "new wave dance bands" category. You say it's one thing if a band incorporates electronica into their music, well that is exactly what lotus does. Lotus really is not an electronica band, they are more of a rock band than they are electronica. Sure they do a lot of electronica in their jams and that plays a big part in a lot of their songs but at thier core they really stick to a lot of rock and rock progressions. I know it's your opinion, but there is a lot more to lotus than just a new wave dance band that only changes tempo; they are pretty darn unique and are evolving like any good jamband does. I'd be surprised if you find yourself not dancing during their set or lost in one of rempels smooth, ambient but energetic solos. Anyway e

Danimal
Danimal
4/22/2010 05:55 PM

As much as I like Lotus, they really don't do anything mindblowing. Again, I really do like them but I think they are slightly overhyped.

FroDaddyJR
FroDaddyJR
4/22/2010 07:43 PM

Well damn, guess i can always hope the side stage band after them is about 20 min late getting ready. Think a Jajunk>Mantis>Out of Order>Jajunk, Phil's Farm>Hajimemashite>Phil's Farm, Tribute to the Spinal Shaft->Mulche's Odyssey and an All In Time ,if there is time, would be just great for 90 min. And a full band switch during the Yonder set where they will play Mullet(over)-> a sweet cover w/Jeff Austin and then back into Yonder. This is my prediction, you heard it here first.

fsmid16
fsmid16
4/23/2010 09:41 AM

That would certainly make the most out of UM's 90 minutes. lets hope your right

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use