Soundset Fest: Method, Redman Atmosphere, Ali, Murs, & More
JamBase
JamBase
4/20/2010 12:00 AM

Soundset Fest: Method, Redman Atmosphere, Ali, Murs, & More

TCharmony
TCharmony
4/20/2010 11:06 PM

I went to this the first year they held it back in 08'. Best hip hop festival in the US. Too bad its the same weekend as Bella Vida, which i already have tix too.

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
4/20/2010 11:23 PM

^^How are you sure? You ever go to Rock the Bells? I didn't and I'm not trying to argue, just wondering. As for me I'm stuck in Georgia and the closest thing we got is Freaknik (which is coming back this year). I think I'll pass unless somehow they got Outkast. Ha. It sux, I wish I could be everywhere at once. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

rastarusty
rastarusty
4/21/2010 03:47 AM

By the way today is 421, the day after

msudtg
msudtg
4/21/2010 05:15 AM

I would be going to this if it wasn't the same weekend as Bella Vida. This line-up looks pretty good. Most hip-hop/rap sucks live, but they always get some actual talent together for this show. Atmosphere is always a good show.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/21/2010 07:17 AM

msudtg's right, Most live hip-hop sucks. I haven't seen Atmosphere or a few others from the rhymesayers camp. But Murs, Redman, Methodman, and Brother Ali sound rather poopy live.

I would thinks a lot of these bands would have a live band though.

chux7487
chux7487
4/21/2010 09:39 AM

hotchkiss i must respectfully disagree. ive seen the wu tang clan multiple times, method man solo multiple times and also the Blackout together. gotta say, this guy has never disappointed whilst on stage, wonderful personality on stage, brings the fucking ruckus every single time ive seen him, controls/connects with crowd and most times finds his way into the crowd somehow. murs was nothing less then bad fucking ass when i saw him at Rock the Bells but i can definitely see it going south in more then a 20 min set. lemme tell yall- Del tha Funkee homosapien will reck house. sick as shit live no questions asked. all in all though glad this is getting some press although i agree the line up is far sub par compared to rock the bells (usually).

nomadkidd
nomadkidd
4/21/2010 10:35 AM

Lots of good acts, but the average age at this fest will probably be 14-18.

See ya at Bella Vida

oversoul222
oversoul222
4/21/2010 12:13 PM

I think if you say hip-hop sucks live its likely you're not that much of a fan of hip-hop. Jam bands put on good live performances because they often improvise during live performances... most good Emcees will freestyle at live performances and most good DJs will improvise as well. The only time I would agree was at this past summer's Rock the Bells, but that's the fault of shotty speakers. Method Man, Slug, Eyedea, Cage, P.O.S., and MURS all put in massive amounts of energy to get the crowd into it during live performances. This is a good line-up, but would rather have gone to Paid-Dues.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/21/2010 12:30 PM

chux7487, I'm pretty sure we've had this debate before. I definitely can't deny the showmanship of all of these guys. I agree whole heatedly that any Hip-Hop show is a blast to be at(especially if the artists studio stuff in in constant rotation in your player).

But as far as sound quality, most are poopy. The exception seems to be live bands. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm a picky music snob. But my bias doesn't out weigh my experience.

Rza takes the cake for the worst live show ever! Gza was bad as well. most other shows are just plagued by bad levels in the house, MC's that had to many drinks (DEL) and the crew/hype man ruining everything (Rob Sonic).

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/21/2010 12:36 PM

"I AM HIP HOP"- deep puddle dynamics

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
4/21/2010 03:50 PM

Hotchkiss, I usually respect your opinions (except when you disagree with me). Ha. No but really I can believe you've seen some shitty hip hop shows but you threw Brother Ali's name on that list. I'm sorry bro but that is just faulty. I've seen numerous dvd's of B Ali's shows and they are filthy. You should watch the DVD that comes with his CD The Undisputed Truth.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/21/2010 05:01 PM

His DVD's had sound board recordings with post production.

I'm not calling hip hop shows as a whole bad, just sound quality of some are "poopy".

I think the live sound of hip hop is just very volatile. Take The K23 Orchestra for instance. The best shows I saw them play were outside venues. Most of the indoor shows had the tendency to sound muddy or dense. Now their a full live band. My band, that is Drums, bass, Dj, Mc's sounds really hollow in a outdoor setting. Inside we sound great.

I think a lot of live sound issues really boils down to the production techniques of hip hop. Guys like Sage Francis record with the usual MPC, Keys and turntables, yet he tours with a live band (most of the time). Some guys record with real instruments and only tour with a DJ.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use