Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

36 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
Wanee Festival | 04.15-04.17 | Florida
JamBase
JamBase
4/20/2010 12:00 AM

Wanee Festival | 04.15-04.17 | Florida
With over 100 photos and a "Best of The Fest" list, we take a look at the biggest Wanee yet...

ashleyann22
ashleyann22
4/20/2010 07:12 PM

A few other thoughts:

Notably absent from mention IMO were the Kreutzmann project (other than the complaints made about the Dead cover), which I thought was absolutely fantastic and fun, and hope to see again locally, and also, what about Derek and Susan's late night? I'd give most beautiful moment (or at least runner up) to their "I believe in music/I believe in love" closer. What a wonderful way to end an amazing experience.

I'd also argue that the Funky Meters alone (and with the super jam) went a little understated in this article, but then, I'd never seen them before Wanee-- SOO GOOD! Also fun for me was Electric Tuna, which I'd never seen before!

As a WSP fan, and the subject of criticism and skepticism before this event, I would second this author, that it all went just fine, even the battle of the chairs. People seemed to get along great, and it was fun to watch older Allmans fans rock out to my favorite band. My fiance and I had a particularly good time with a group of guys much older than us who were treating themselves to a weekend getaway- it was really a cool experience to get to know people who've been around for a while-- and we look forward to meeting up with them at future shows!

A few last superlatives, just for fun-

Best vending: The BBQ stand that sold the most ridiculously delicious greens and fried green beans that anyone anywhere has ever eaten (you know if you had it)

Best stamina: Warren Haynes- Mule late night which went more than an hour over schedule, right after the Allmans! I couldn't even hardly stand up anymore, not sure how he was from all that rocking out!

Most stage time all weekend: Oteil Burbridge, seriously how many bands is that guy in anyway?!

Most ridiculous campsite as a result of the overcrowding and effect of people trying to save entire fields for themselves: dude managed to squeeze tent, grill, car and pop up tent into the 5 foot wide strip of land adjacent to the chain link fence enclosing the bat house. In case you have never smelled a bat house, its something like that gerbil cage you neglected to clean for about 2 months. Also, all of these things were like 10 feet wide, resulting in at least a few feet of infringement in the road. I think I would have been freaking out every time a car, golf cart, or bike went by late night!

rastafool
rastafool
4/20/2010 09:30 PM

Particle and The Word were not mentioned.... They were some of the best times in my opinion. great weekend all around... buying tickets for food and beer was a pain.

tmt125
tmt125
4/20/2010 10:26 PM

I really like the way this article was set up. the questions i always ask myself about a festival were answered. just wanted to give some feedback

JUNKIZL
JUNKIZL
4/20/2010 10:54 PM

George Clinton and P Funk killed it. Panic won me over at Wanee after a disappointing fisrt show at Roo. The Allmans blew away my expectations. The Keys were as great as I'd hoped they be. Bobby Weir sucked, even though I really hoped he wouldn't. Mule on friday night was the best set of the weekend. And Truck and Tedesci ended it beautifully. The camping was sick, and the campground parties were off the hook. If you weren't there you should've been. And I'm so glad I was. Anybody else gonna be at the Allmans in Macon this Friday?

Esgone
Esgone
4/21/2010 03:34 AM

From the minute I sat foot on the grounds for my 5th Wanee I said, "the secert is out". Another great festival ruined by over selling and over crowding. Maybe I'm old and in the way but there'll be room for one more frat boy who's there to party as opposed to see the music next year.

rastarusty
rastarusty
4/21/2010 04:15 AM

I bet it was sick

greenlight
greenlight
4/21/2010 05:18 AM

First time to Wanee this year, great experience but I do believe the cat is out of the bag on this festival. I heard a number of 50,000 festival goers and I can believe it. As far as the shows they were all great, Dr. John was the most surprisng to me and probably my favorite. The old man still has his JuJu and pimped it on the stage. I will be back next year as long as it gets no larger.

jimkeyes
jimkeyes
4/21/2010 06:03 AM

What a great weekend! I enjoyed almost every minute of it. My only complaint is I failed to make a canoe/kayak reservation ahead of time so we could spend a lazy couple of hours paddling the Suwanee river. That black water kinda freaks me out. I am not going to lie.

I love the Jerry rolls, I had the bbq mentioned above, it was good stuff.

One request for the organizers of this fest. VIDEO SCREENS for the Peach (main) stage. You can hear just fine in the back which is awesome, but it was very hard to see anything but bright lights from the middle to the back and if you were there going to the front was not too much fun. Do-able, but not fun.

On that note, can't wait for Bearcreek later this fall. Also might have to try out Magfest. That one looks fun. You really can't go wrong at the Spirit of the Suwanee Music Park.

PimpMCGeorge
PimpMCGeorge
4/21/2010 07:00 AM

Fuck yes, festival season is upon us! I need to go change my pants.

bswells86
bswells86
4/21/2010 07:22 AM

Wanee was absolutely incredible. Those of you complaining about it being crowded are probably the ones who camped out with 5 chairs and 3 blankets front and center, and got mad when people crowded you. I've never heard of anyone complaining about a sold out MSG show, or a sold out Phillips Arena NYE with Panic...Why complain about a busy fest? People are there to do whatever it is they want to do, let it be. The more the merrier in my book. I will be back for sure next year. Great article, and great times! Top of the Wanee to ya!

Sixmilliondollar…
Sixmilliondollar…
4/21/2010 08:27 AM

A cringe-induced article.

BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
4/21/2010 08:44 AM

GratefulFrederick 4/21/2010 05:30 AM • "Didn't it say there were over 100 pictures? Where are they?"

Did you try clicking?

Blinds35
Blinds35
4/21/2010 09:43 AM

Great review...but, brah...a horse stable inland in the Florida panhandle may not qualify as "one of the most beatuful places in the world."

Otherwise, sounds good!

rainydayman
rainydayman
4/21/2010 09:50 AM

I was there. The Allmans Saturday were mind-blowing.....but my head had already exploded earlier that day from the Black Keys.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use