Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

27 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
The Disco Biscuits Brooklyn Bowl Photo Gallery
JamBase
JamBase
4/2/2010 12:00 AM

The Disco Biscuits Brooklyn Bowl Photo Gallery
The Disco Biscuits take over the intimate Brooklyn Bowl to host Bisco Power Mission, a benefit concert to outfit a school with solar power, and perform without Jon Gutwillig...

burntownballer
burntownballer
4/2/2010 08:27 PM

the picture of that loser with a "binky" in his mouth proves to me how much the disco biscuits suck!

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/2/2010 11:08 PM

their redundant, boring music proves to me how much they suck.

I saw a few Bisco shows here in So. California in 99-00, they were pretty damn good!

It just seems like it's been a downhill slide since then. Their just doing the same boring crap.

bebber
bebber
4/2/2010 11:52 PM

Jeepers!.. Indeed

friedpix
friedpix
4/3/2010 04:47 AM

Chad, as always, brought his A-Game.

Love the smoky, tight-shot of Allen behind the kit.

Well done!

youknowit
youknowit
4/3/2010 08:26 AM

HOTCHKISS- They suck so bad and you are so cool that on a friday night at 11:08 p.m. you are on the computer and took the time to read the article and post how badly the Disco Biscuits suck. Looks like you are doing the same boring crap as well. I don't post much, but I felt the need to tell you that YOU SUCK!

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/3/2010 10:15 AM

well aren't you cute youknowit

Why no need to attack burntownballer? That guy was not only at his computer at 8:27, proving he had no friday night plans to begin with, he based his "suck" comment solely on a picture of a kid.

I based my "suck" comment on over 10 years of experience of listening and seeing the disco biscuits.

And I'm glad that you don't post much, because your reasoning is way off.

"took the time to read the article and post how badly the Disco Biscuits suck."

Total time reading the article, glancing at a few pictures, watching the video (just to see if by any chance they started bringing something new to the table) and posting that The Disco Biscuits suck (and I left out how badly): around 5 minuets.

"Looks like you are doing the same boring crap as well"

So your comparing a 5 minute part of my life, that was presented to you through a discussion board, to the last decade of less than exciting Disco Biscuits shows and Albums?

And despite you thinking I suck, I don't think you suck.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/3/2010 10:17 AM

And I spent too much time coming back with that post just to spell minutes wrong. Man I do Suck!

karrvingwaves
karrvingwaves
4/3/2010 10:41 AM

why do you keep giving these guys articles! theyre terrible musicians

adubvu
adubvu
4/3/2010 11:34 AM

lol notice only the haters post.

youknowit
youknowit
4/3/2010 11:39 AM

I don't really think you suck either Hotchkiss. On a serious note though, I've been listening to the Disco Biscuits since about the same era you have. I'm really interested to know what you mean by "bringing something new to the table". I'm not here solely to defend the DB's. The band surely has evolved though and they have brought new material to their fans, whether all their fans like it or not is a different story. You obviously do not like it and that is your opinion which you are entitled to. It just get to me when I see a post like that where someone is saying things like that about musicians who have clearly established themselves as relevant for years in the industry.

I don't know if you like Phish or not. I like Phish. Just as an example though, what has Phish "brought to the table that is new and exciting?" I don't know about you, but when I'm at a Phish show, I certainly am not waiting for them to play Pebbles and Marbles or Kill Devil Falls or any of the newer stuff that they have "brought to the table". Phish has been doing the exact same thing for over 20 years. Now, someone might argue that, "Phish is way better than the DB's", and that may well be their humble opinion. The thing is though, not everyone likes Phish and not everyone likes the Disco Biscuits and not everyone likes String Cheese and not everyone likes Widespread Panic and not everyone likes My Morning Jacket and not everyone LIKED the Grateful Dead. My point is simply this, everyone has their own opinions, just because you don't like something or the direction it has gone in, doesn't mean you should sit behind your computer and say that it sucks. That's for the birds man.

So how do the Disco Biscuits "bring something new to the table?". How about an example of how one of your favorite bands has done this? Because to be honest with you and in my opinion, I think the Disco Biscuits shows are damn entertaining, you never know where a song is going or how it's going to sound. They are pretty unpredictable, which I enjoy.

youknowit
youknowit
4/3/2010 11:48 AM

There were people in the 70's who were getting SLAYED by a man named Jimmy Page at Led Zeppelin shows, I wonder what they would have said about a Grateful Dead show? Probably that it sucks...Get it?

curtbraski
curtbraski
4/3/2010 12:05 PM

My Morning Jacket

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
4/3/2010 03:07 PM

Damn! it looks like the nice long post of mine just got lost in cyber space. In a nutshell here's what it said.

The "suck" comment was inspired by the recent display of garbage in the Bisco threads. Immature of me, I know.

My stance on Bisco bringing nothing new to the table is formulated by my experience with shows that I attended between 99 and 01. I specifically remember 3-23-01 as a extremely intense show.

The juxtaposition of organic and electronic mixed with the odd ball lyrics and complicated time signatures made Bisco a really innovative act. Out of the few encounters I've had with Bisco lately, there seems to be a lack of momentum in regards to pushing boundaries and bringing us something new and fresh.

I definitely don't think the disco Biscuits are irrelevant or not entertaining. I just see their style of improv has turned into a generic blueprint of noodling synth melody over a back beat of electronic dance music. Unpredictable, in a sense, yes, something new and Innovative, not so much.

As for an example of a favorite band of mine bringing something new to the table, I could give you dozens of examples. Nels Cline singers, The mentones, Ninja Academy, Good For Cows, Alex Clines band of the moment, Banyan, JFJO, Kris Tyner, Subtle, 13 and God, Yeasayer, I could go on and on with bands who are continuing to bring something new and innovative to us.

But I'll use Phish for a specific Example. The progression of Phish's improvisational prowess is really easy to identify. From the monster funk jams of the late 90's to the atonal ambience of the early 00's. The examples of their innovativeness are many.

I saw Phish a number of times before the "break up". They really got stale at the end. So after hearing the Hampton reunion shows (which didn't really bring much to the table at all) I thought I'd give them a try. 8-04-09 had a three minute section at towards the end of "chalkdust" that renewed my faith in their ability to be a breath of fresh air in the improvisational rock world. That three minutes of amorphous, dark, angular music had a sense of urgency to it. Phish knows that these boundaries need to be pushed. The jam during "light" that was accompanied by the "balloon wall" at 8 is another example of Phish bringing something new to the table.

I'm very passionate about audio art. I just don't like seeing bands that come on to the scene as a real innovative band eventually start resting on their laurels. And it's my opinion, but I see the Disco Biscuits doing just that. I was listening to "uncivilized area" and "the wind at for to fly" today and it reenforces my opinion.

Wonka27
Wonka27
4/3/2010 08:17 PM

burntownballer its not a "binky" its clearly a ring pop.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use