JamBase
JamBase
3/24/2010 12:00 AM

Newport Folk Fest: Helm, Yim, Bird, Avetts

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
3/24/2010 09:39 AM

Levon!!!

If you go to this please throw a can of PBR at Yim Yames for me. Thank you.

jazzfester
jazzfester
3/24/2010 09:49 AM

Can anyone comment on the scene at this fest?

bloggersrlosers
bloggersrlosers
3/24/2010 09:52 AM

Lot of rich yuppies, but real laid back I thought. Not too crowded, and trey and the black crowes and the marley's were there when I went.

AintNoFreedom
AintNoFreedom
3/24/2010 10:07 AM

bloggers you're pretty spot on. I was there the same year and while I did get yelled at by some dude in a lawn chair for dancing during Levon's set, I was also able to get as close as I wanted to almost every show.

The venue (an island) is one of a kind too and is just beautiful. If you go, be prepared to chill to some great intimate performances and have some brews, but nothing too crazy.

cjc27
cjc27
3/24/2010 10:54 AM

looks pretty good, gotta get some DOC!

moemoe6434
moemoe6434
3/24/2010 10:59 AM

The article does not even say what state it is in..... Lineup looks real solid.

danimal2
danimal2
3/24/2010 11:42 AM

isnt it Jim James and not Yim James?

BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
3/24/2010 11:43 AM

its whatever Yim wants

jazzfester
jazzfester
3/24/2010 12:00 PM

I have been to Newport 2 times and, yes, it is a beautiful area. Thank you for the relevant info. Must be a very expensive weekend. The lineup always looks solid and I am tempted every year. Maybe this one.

danimal,

It is Yim Yames of My Morning Yacket.

stoops
stoops
3/24/2010 12:44 PM

what a yackoff!

brooklynite84
brooklynite84
3/24/2010 01:04 PM

The second day looks pretty sweet; Levon, Havens and Sharon Jones on Jerry's Bday and the day before mine, shit if I lived back in NY, I would probably hit this up, but then again, I'm sure most of the heads would be in Conn for Gathering, especially if Furthur makes an appearance.

bear22
bear22
3/26/2010 10:22 AM

I have been to this festival 4 times. The venue is not on an island. It is on a peninsula in Newport Harbor. It is reachable by car or water taxi from downtown Newport (Thames Street). Newport is in Rhode Island. I have to agree with the comments about the 2nd stages, especially the "WaterSide Stage". But if you really want to see a band then just get there in between sets and you should have no problem getting a seat and a view. The only stage that people set up blankets and chairs is the main really. The crowd usually changes per band at the other stages.

It is an amazingly beautiful venue with a panorama view of Newport and Jamestown, ri. Yes there are yuppies, yes there are hippies, yes there are folkies, yes there are emo kids etc...there is a little bit of everyone. They all music lovers and very laid back folks, the crowd usually reflects the eclectic lineup. The beer tent is located on a pier and is not within view of any stage. So if you want to drink, this is not your festy. It runs from noon-8pm roughly everyday so its not an all night affair. Plenty of time to do it up in newport afterwards. All the acts are usually in great spirits as both the beauty and historical relevance of the festival is off the charts. I highly recommend checking it out.

Jim james has been going by Yim Yames since he releases the "Tribute To" EP of George Harrison covers...kind of weird but so is he. regardless of the name he puts on one of the best solo acoustic shows of any "rock" musician Ive seen. Blew Trey out of the water and i love Phish.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use