Albums of the Week: March 19 - March 25 Beck, Truckers, Liars
JamBase
JamBase
3/21/2010 12:00 AM

Albums of the Week: March 19 - March 25 Beck, Truckers, Liars

digmusiccitylive
digmusiccitylive
3/21/2010 05:15 PM

DC and RH= Hardest working writers in the biz. I completely agree with your assessment of the new Whigs album. Not as bad as other reputable music critics have claimed (Pitchfork), but pales in comparison to "Mission Control" which is my fave of their three releases. "Sleep Sunshine" is such an incredible song and there's nothing on "In the Dark" that stacks up. "Dying", "Automatic" and "Naked" are all great songs. Not too crazy on the single or the title track though. The 2nd half of the new album is wayyy better than the first half imo.

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
3/22/2010 08:01 AM

nice review of the new Truckers album, I'm gonna pick it up today

deceasedlavy
deceasedlavy
3/22/2010 12:05 PM

Beck's record club project has been hit or miss, but not as bad as RH makes it out to be. If you dig his less commercial material from the 90s, you'll find a lot of enjoyment in the VU stuff. Recaptures the irreverence that Beck seemed to have lost around the time of SEA CHANGE. The Leonard Cohen project is pretty weak, though.

SISTERWORLD: Pick this up without delay, Dennis's assessment is spot on. I'm not even close to unraveling it yet, but it's the best thing I've heard so far this year.

jjwood
jjwood
3/23/2010 02:32 PM

One error to correct: The Guess Who's first album after Randy Bachman's departure was 1970's underrated and excellent Share The Land; which was followed by So Long Bannatyne. I also highly recommend the excellent Buddah reissue of the 1972 live album, Live At The Paramount, which the initial album was expanded to 75 minutes, along with a great job of remastering.

On another topic: Am I the only one who does not "get" Beck?

jjwood
jjwood
3/23/2010 02:36 PM

Also...it took two guitarists to replace Randy Bachman: Greg Leskiw and Kurt Winter (RIP). Lewkiw would leave after Rockin', replaced by Don McDougall.

Sadly, the Guess Who franchise is owned by original bassist Jim Kale and original drummer Garry Peterson; both tour with a bunch of bar-band frauds under the name. Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman still play shows in Canada together as "Bachman-Cummings".

bebber
bebber
3/27/2010 03:46 PM

Jim Morrison/ The Doors (One of the greatest talents ever). The Guess Who is a joke compared to the Doors

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use