Herbie Hancock New Album w/ Matthews, Jeff Beck, Trucks
JamBase
JamBase
3/9/2010 10:05 AM

Herbie Hancock New Album w/ Matthews, Jeff Beck, Trucks

mesaxi
mesaxi
3/9/2010 10:15 AM

I love Herbie, but he seriously needs to stop with these huge collaboration albums. I see these tracks with one amazing musician and one musician that makes you ask yourself "What the fuck?"

laxd1314
laxd1314
3/9/2010 10:22 AM

yeah, as much as i hate to say it, herbie hancock is a sell out. I saw him live once, all he played was shit from the album he did with christina agulara and john mayer, plus his songs that everyone knows like watermelon man, cantaloupe island, and chameleon (which he played 3 times). he did do a badass verisons of maiden voyage though. at least wayne shorter is going to be on it.

deadpig79
deadpig79
3/9/2010 10:30 AM

so fucking what! the man is a living legend, he can do whatever he wants with who ever he wants.

articgtp
articgtp
3/9/2010 10:49 AM

While i'm no huge fan of what he's currently doing, he gets a pass from me and should get one from the community as a whole.

saw him twice about 5 years ago and they were completely different shows, both were amazing.

Give it up for Herbie, he'll come back down to earth soon enough, I'm gonna put a call into Chick and see what he can do about this.

DarkstarWolfcub
DarkstarWolfcub
3/9/2010 12:12 PM

While I agree that when a musician/artist reaches a plateau of expectations based on decades of survival and 'success' (worldwide recognition from popular culture, the universal respect of peers in the chosen profession) that said artist is 'allowed' to follow their artistic impulses as they chose. That being said, there are most certainly specific examples that really make one's blood boil. For me personally, I completely lost all respect for Santana when that piss-poor pop dribble excuse for a collaborative album came out, Supernatural. You can almost smell the monotony of lackluster spirit that was infused in the selection of the artists. Rob Thomas is the face of much that is wrong with music today -- the dude is a musical prick. I give a rats ass about his personal attributes, as a musician myself, that dudes face alone makes everything sacred in me bubble down to a grim distaste for what passes for music. Santana could have collaborated with so many more authentically sincere musicians that I know Clive Davis gave the musical community a proverbial blow job in feeding us this 'take' on an important musician who is in a precocious situation to hold on to any artistic authenticity in my eyes. Herbie isn't far behind, I mean , Christinia Aguilira? WTF? John Mayer is a (musical) prick too, so I guess it makes sense. Popular bubble gum feels good making a billion dollars in revenue!!!

crowesfan
crowesfan
3/9/2010 12:17 PM

Can't wait to hear him with Derek and Susan

okalrightic
okalrightic
3/9/2010 01:29 PM

PINK AND SEAL ON THE SAME TRACK!!?!?!! I have to hear this....seriously Herbie? I love you dude but you need to chill out with the bs.

Ned8
Ned8
3/9/2010 04:30 PM

Fact is, Herbie's collaboration have all been excellent whether you dig the artists he has worked with. He stretched those artists and put out great music. Thought it interesting that when Trey played with him he kept wanting to comp his 70's electric jazz/funk when Herbie wanted to move from that. All interesting stuff. High Art

jamesdinct
jamesdinct
3/9/2010 08:36 PM

Ummmmmmmmm did you guys listen to the last album Herbie did with all those "bubble gum" stars?????? Most of that material was fantastic, a notch above, extremely entertaining and some mind blowing. Seriously those tracks with Sting, Damien Rice/Lisa Hannigan, Annie Lennox, even Christina Aguilera. That shit was good, sounds like some people are just hating on here. Herbie seems to be having fun and expanding the horizons or people/musicians he obviously likes and respects, yall should respect that. I for one cannot wait to hear this stuff. The range he has shown with the recordings he has gifted to us is impressive and I enjoy the diversity. As much as I lovvvvvvve Head Hunters and Maiden Voyage I don't just wanna hear them over and over again with each new album. Bless his talent and creativity, hope to catch him live one day!

laxd1314
laxd1314
3/9/2010 10:55 PM

i don't know, i could listen to dolphin dance all day.

the album he did with john mayer and trey was just some steriotypical funk. if anything it was a step backwards for him. I got nothing against musicians doing other stuff but compare an album like future2future to his last 2, it's almost sickening how lame they were.

braden
braden
3/10/2010 11:20 AM

I'll but it just to hear "Tamatant Tilay/Exodus" featuring Tinariwen!

I think he can do whatever he wants to do at this point in his career, he's earned it, but at least he's still trying something new!!

I'd rather an artist try something new and fail than have them crank out a disc of the same old same old.

nomemory
nomemory
3/10/2010 02:43 PM

well said braden.

I wonder if that track "don't give up" is a cover of the Peter Gabriel track. Beck, Pink, and Seal all on one song, should be interesting, I just hope it doesn't ruin the amazing original version for me.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use