Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

14 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Galactic: A Long Time Coming
JamBase
JamBase
3/4/2010 12:00 AM

Galactic: A Long Time Coming
We chat with keyboardist Rich Vogel about working with Toussaint and Thomas on Ya-Ka-May, Super Bowl celebrations, Mardi Gras and enjoying a true New Orleans renaissance...

mrunner7
mrunner7
3/4/2010 07:35 PM

First post brah...epyc...6yck...3 6yck?...oh yeah..titays article...well written from a ragin cajun...must be nice to be a phan of the saints...pimpin aint... breesy?

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
3/5/2010 07:18 AM

We had the pleasure of seeing Galactic with Corey and Karl Denson in Missoula a few days ago. They are absolutely on freakin' fire right now!

Without a doubt one of the best shows I've seen in a very long time. After the concert people (who probably aren't that familiar with the music) where walking around in front of the Wilma with this look on their faces like a bomb went off or something. We heard more than a few say "What the fuck was that?", and lots of "Oh my god..". It was so awesome folks needed a minute to decompress to even understand that their faces where missing.

Galactic has set the bar pretty high with this one.

It's kinda' funny, and we kept saying it, Corey Henry was leading the band and totally destroyed that room and HE'S NOT EVEN IN THE BAND. Awesome.

Oh, Karl sang on "Up on Cripple Creek" for those that voted and didn't make it.

STEG187
STEG187
3/5/2010 08:38 AM

Kudos on a pheneomenal feature Wesley!!

I always feel that Vogel sometimes gets lost in the shuffle, but he is such an integral part of the Galacticfunk gumbo...the new record, and the band in general, are on freaking FIYAH!!

The last 3 Galactic shows were some of the best I have ever seen!! and I probably have seen them 30-40 times since 1998...Bear Creek and Lundi Gras at Tips were almost a reinvention of the band I once knew. after Ruckus, Houseman's departure,

and then Corner to the Block, I was decidedly on the fence with this band...

the addition of Boe Money is hard to overstate... his energy and

NOLA vibes mesh so well with the Galactic undercurrent. and their material, esp the new stuff, is in a league of its own. their sound, and style, are

now SO ORIGINAL and SO FRESH and EXCITING... they are officially a genre of their own.

I cannot stress how impressed I am with the whole Galactic production at this point in their career. The new album, the latest tours, and the continuity built from a steady lineup and an obvious group friendship that supercedes the 'job'.

keep on keepin on, fellas, and see ya at Jazzfest. ya-ka-may!!

lovemusical
lovemusical
3/5/2010 09:50 AM

^Agree with everything you said. NOLA should be proud of so many unbelievable musicians in its long history. Perhaps nobody right now is as good as Galactic (not that its a contest). I've seen these guys at least 20 times over the years. I've literally never seen a show that didn't completely blow me away. Some more spectacular than others. I love how they're always evolving and changing things up, yet still keep that core funk/groove/Jazz vibe smokin'. Stanton Moore is mind blowing on drums. I can't even put in to words how great this band is live. Can't wait to see them in Minneapolis in a month.

Chaloupka
Chaloupka
3/5/2010 02:29 PM

Galactic Prophylactic!! Love 'em!

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
3/5/2010 03:34 PM

FYI they are hosting a show on JamOn right now and there will be a concert broadcast tonite. Sirius 7 day trial, I'm just sayin'...Fo' Free.

churchabc123
churchabc123
3/5/2010 06:01 PM

a good time for the hole family my 5year old sat quiet in aaaaaaaaaa and i love it !!!!

JonKron
JonKron
3/6/2010 12:39 PM

Saw a sold-out Sunday night Galactic romp at the Crystal Bay Club in N.Tahoe last week. You can tell this is Corey's second tour of duty with the band and the interplay between he and Ben takes them to yet another level. It was a Nawlins B-L-O-W-O-U-T ! Great new material and a nice mix of old. Do not miss this go around.

pheelalrights
pheelalrights
3/7/2010 09:04 AM

Stay away from Toussaint. Unsolicited advice is my speciality. Scammer, sucks on vocals, and almost destroyed Soulive.

Peace.

deceasedlavy
deceasedlavy
3/7/2010 02:08 PM

Nice interview, Wesley. You picked the right time to move to Nawlins, clearly! I've been out of the loop with Galactic for a few years. I think I'm going to have to try and catch them when they come through next month. Kind of felt like they were losing their way for a while, but it sounds like they're truly revitalized.

Capaldius
Capaldius
3/13/2010 11:38 AM

pheel- When they said Toussaint, it was referring to Allen Toussaint, the legendary Nawlins producer and musician. Not Toussaint the vocalist that toured with Soulive for a year or two. That stated, Galactic is THE FIRE! I've seen this band over a dozen times in different setting from huge fests, to concert halls and small clubs (including Tipitina's.) They always deliver. If you're not movin, whether it be crazed ass shakin or a slight head nod, at one of their shows, you don't have a soul.

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
3/13/2010 01:05 PM

ok so were is the track from Galactic with Corey and Karl Denson in Missoula !!! cant find it please help!!!

churchabc123
churchabc123
3/22/2010 09:10 AM

so this show is so good you cant ever hear it! wut'z up with that some one any one i would love it if i could get the galactic corey & karl denson at the WILMA in Missoula!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use