Jane's Addiction Bassist Eric Avery Quits Band
JamBase
JamBase
3/4/2010 12:00 AM

Jane's Addiction Bassist Eric Avery Quits Band

Glennjamin
Glennjamin
3/4/2010 12:08 PM

did he have to go to rehab to quit the addiction?

TimMorrison
TimMorrison
3/4/2010 12:24 PM

I really wanted to see this band in it's original form and unfortunately never got the chance. You'll be sorely missed Mr. Avery. To the rest of the band: Rock on and good luck with your search for a new bassist.

moemoe6434
moemoe6434
3/4/2010 01:14 PM

I would never be able to put up with Navarro either.

udsh
udsh
3/4/2010 01:53 PM

great band, a long time ago

they should of stayed broken up

brooklynite84
brooklynite84
3/4/2010 03:16 PM

There's too much ego with this band, I thought the Wave Goodbye tour would've been better with them playing before NIN, I don't blame Avery, he's probably doing the smart thing and getting out before it's too late and TOO MUCH!!!

paulygparty
paulygparty
3/4/2010 04:08 PM

udsh is 100% right.

DaKracken
DaKracken
3/4/2010 09:55 PM

This is unfortunate news but not really a surprise since Perry never really forgave Eric for stabbing him in the back when he tried to fuck Perry's wife back in the day-Perry called him out on it onstage no less and didn't consider eric a friend but was a huge fan of the guys talent. That tension helped make the band more potent but was a recipe for disaster. The NIN/JA tour was the highlight of my year, the band was tighter than a jimmy cap and really stretched out the jams. Eric Avery is one of my alltime favorite bass players,I am not a fan of his solo work but you got to respect someone who can walk away from a cash cow like Jane's Addiction to pursue his own art. Whoever joins the band will be a monster musician so JA will continue to melt faces-Hopefully Flea will rejoin since the Chilli Peppers are on infinate hiatus, he was awesome when he toured with them a few years back. The previous comments are comical about JA hanging it up when I read so many comments about Further killing it with their 70 year old bass player rehashing tired ass grateful dead tunes from 40+ years ago. Phil Lesh/Dead are legends but so are Jane's Addiction and there are millions of people who agree with me-just sayin.

bigchris
bigchris
3/4/2010 10:47 PM

NIN/JA was awesome last summer. Jane's was on fire!

Sorry to see Eric go, his sound was great foil to Novarro's spacey solos. He will be missed.

I hope Jane's keeps rockin' it, I like the Flea idea too.

rightback420
rightback420
3/4/2010 11:45 PM

No need to compare Phil Lesh to some guy I've never heard of, just sayin'.

DaKracken
DaKracken
3/5/2010 02:35 AM

Thanks for the laugh rightback420-You have never heard of Eric Avery, the original bassist for Jane' Addiction, eventhough this is a comment board for a news story ABOUT Eric Avery, original bassist for Jane's Addiction LOL. Actually Phil Lesh seems like a wonderful person, terrific musician and has contributed alot of joy to countless amount of people. It is just too easy to take a swipe at a bunch AARP nostalgia rockers. I know Phil Lesh is probably one of the hippest 70 year guys you could ever have the pleasure of meeting. I read a cool story about how Phil brought Jackie Green into the Dead Phamily-after hearing a song by Jackie on the radio, he tracked down the disc, liked it-sent a note to Jackie about digging his music, extended an invite to jam and before you know it Jackie is sharing the stage and traveling the world as a member of Phil and Phriends-what a dream and props to Phil for making it happen.

RealxGuy
RealxGuy
3/5/2010 04:13 PM

hahaha PHIL LESH IS BETTER THEN THIS CLOWN AT 70, AND LETS GET FUCKIN REAL I WAS AT JONES BEACH FOR JANE'S LAST YEAR AND THE PLACE WAS FUCKING EMPTY, ID SAY HALF THE PLACE WAS GONE AFTER NIN, THESE GUYS HAVEN'T BEEN GOOD SINCE 1991, AND PHIL LESH HAS BEEN PLAYING NON STOP THE WHOLE TIME ( EVEN THRU A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT). SO LETS BE FUCKING REAL, AVERY WISHES HE WAS HALF THE BASSIST PHIL LESH IS, AND IF YOU ASK AVERY WHO HIS BASS HERO IS, GUESS WHO??? PHIL FUCKING LESH.

bigchris
bigchris
3/6/2010 11:05 AM

Phil had a liver transplant, retardguy

Avery has plenty of talent, and Jane's kicks ass. end of story

damoncory
damoncory
3/8/2010 07:46 AM

My bass player can kick your bass players ass.

funkyMOFO
funkyMOFO
3/8/2010 01:29 PM

I saw Jane's in '97 w/ Flea on bass. Does that not count as a reunion? Saw them in 2003 too and that wasn't w/ Avery either. Another hiccup in jambase's info I guess.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use