Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

108 Total Messages • Page 7 of 8 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 
Dark Star Orchestra: Life After Dead
mattchu
mattchu
3/2/2010 10:45 PM

***ithaca show, not cornell show. It was towards the middle of that tour that featured johns last shows with DSO, finishing the tour in rochester and buffalo.

ao1
ao1
3/3/2010 08:33 AM

That's fucking stupid.^ Jerry passed on, while John is still very much alive...What ever Willie said a few pages back was perfect.

dillybube
dillybube
3/3/2010 04:39 PM

I cant complain about smaller dead cover bands like Cupensis in LA, Stu's Grapefruit Ed here in the bay or Jncle Johns Band in FL for example. they are to your small local church what DSO is to Jim and Tammy Bakers rhinestone studded televangelest empire in the '80s. I dont challenge these bands when they charge people 5-10 bucks (thets what fugazi charge)so they can noodle dance each week. When people compare these bands to going to church (just like the old 5th & market church-of-the-fatman days) i think thats nice. i Know those bands are paid better than most small local bands but thats cool, go ahead and pass the donation basket, just dont ask me for 35$ for the least inspiring, least challenging musical project EVER. I sakd the bass player from Cupensis once if theyd be willing to go big like DSO and he didnt seem to mind the idea. glad they havnt. I like Brent tunes. why dont i trip when i see them up here? they are mom and pop to me and DSO is Wallmart. DSO is deadheads without a cause.

titaniumstarship
titaniumstarship
3/6/2010 08:00 AM

Go listen to an original band. This is a joke that this much press and attention is payed to a cover band. Start a new scene. Be original. This shit's over my friends.

RobStarr
RobStarr
3/8/2010 08:43 AM

seen the GRATEFULDEAD 100's of times, the worst Grateful dead show beats any of this fake Garcia crap, tried Ratdog , Phil and Friends , Ect. Not the same , I guess it's good if you never seen the Grateful Dead . totaly agree with^ redwhiteandgreen. What next Lady gaga tour with phil and friend . Stop killing the greatest band ever.....

walther
walther
3/10/2010 02:24 AM

A pianist plays the works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Is he therefore a fake Mozart?

A violinist plays the works by Tchaikovsky. Is he therefore a fake Tchaikovsky?

A singer sings the works by Bach. Is he therefore a fake Bach?

A guitarist plays and sings the works by Jerry Garcia. Is he therefore a fake Jerry?

A orchestra plays the works by the Grateful Dead. Is it therefore fake GD crap?

A orchestra plays the works by Beethoven? What is it, fake crap? Does the orchestra kills Beethoven?

Questions after questions which all have one answer

RobStarr
RobStarr
3/10/2010 07:46 AM

^ first did you ever see garcia????

second did you ever hear Phil , sing Jerry songs.

third did every seen ratdog waste great classics

fourth WAKE UP , Garcia was the band...

I had enough when I seen the dead play a metallica song, sorry for those not old enough too see the REAL Grateful Dead....

walther
walther
3/10/2010 09:24 AM

First, I saw the GD for the first time in 1972 at the Jahrhunderthalle in Frankfurt, Germany. Then each time they were in Germany. I am a German and I live in Germany.

Second, Phil should not sing the Jerry tunes, unfortunately he is not able to sing them.

Third, I saw Ratdog performing live in Cologne, Germany. Their interpretaion of GD music is far away from its original

Forth, I have been a fan of GD since the 70s and I am so glad about DSO due to its interpretation of Grateful Dead works as faithful as possible to its original performance.

walther
walther
3/10/2010 09:24 AM

First, I saw the GD for the first time in 1972 at the Jahrhunderthalle in Frankfurt, Germany. Then each time they were in Germany. I am a German and I live in Germany.

Second, Phil should not sing the Jerry tunes, unfortunately he is not able to sing them.

Third, I saw Ratdog performing live in Cologne, Germany. Their interpretaion of GD music is far away from its original

Forth, I have been a fan of GD since the 70s and I am so glad about DSO due to its interpretation of Grateful Dead works as faithful as possible to its original performance.

ao1
ao1
3/10/2010 10:05 AM

Walther, I completely agree. So many ignorant people in this thread it's ridiculous. HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN THE GRATEFUL DEAD MANNNN?!??!?!? WHATTTTT ONLY TWICE?????????????? WELL, FUCK YOUR OPINION.

Personally, I'd see DSO over Phil and Friends and Ratdog. And Jerry was not the whole band. That is another ignorant statement.

willydog
willydog
3/10/2010 11:42 AM

I am so tired of the "I saw them X number of times, back when they were good." thing that goes on in the Jamband crowd. It reminds me of when I first started seeing the Dead in 1980 and a guy telling me I didn't know what they were all about because I didn't see Pigpen. Are you kidding me?! Everyone has a valid opinion of how the incarnation of the music makes them feel. If DSO floats you boat..Fantastic, if you like the P&F, great, Furthur, perfect! Just leave this bullshit at home or in you mom's basement or wherever you live your preconcived headier than thou bullshit life. Don't bring it to shows and don't project it on some kid who for whatever reason, didn't get a chance to see Jerry. They have just as much right to the music as anyone. The more people that are turned on to the GD sound the better in my opinion. Remember we were all newbies at one time or were you born heady.

willydog
willydog
3/10/2010 11:43 AM

I am so tired of the "I saw them X number of times, back when they were good." thing that goes on in the Jamband crowd. It reminds me of when I first started seeing the Dead in 1980 and a guy telling me I didn't know what they were all about because I didn't see Pigpen. Are you kidding me?! Everyone has a valid opinion of how the incarnation of the music makes them feel. If DSO floats you boat..Fantastic, if you like the P&F, great, Furthur, perfect! Just leave this bullshit at home or in you mom's basement or wherever you live your preconcived headier than thou bullshit life. Don't bring it to shows and don't project it on some kid who for whatever reason, didn't get a chance to see Jerry. They have just as much right to the music as anyone. The more people that are turned on to the GD sound the better in my opinion. Remember we were all newbies at one time or were you born heady.

RobStarr
RobStarr
3/11/2010 06:43 PM

have fun wasting your money , I'm saving my money for camp Bisco!! lol

Phil sings terrapin station yea that good ,lol , sorry don't wanna be mean but give me a fuckin break kids...

cavemandan
cavemandan
3/15/2010 09:17 AM

DSO with Jeff Mattson is better than Further with Jk. Musically speaking that is. Now you have heard me rant before about DSO being over rated and over priced... well that was before Mattson!

cavemandan
cavemandan
3/15/2010 09:42 AM

there are so many people better than Eaton.... if DSO wants to take it even HIGHER, they need to replace him... here is a fair example from over 20 yrs ago of some random dead cover band that ...well u tell me after watching, is this guy better than Eaton or not... thanks and stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuKpSJe6Oas

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use