Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

108 Total Messages • Page 6 of 8 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 
Dark Star Orchestra: Life After Dead
BenSchroeter
BenSchroeter
3/1/2010 07:05 PM

Hey j4fern20!

Thanks for the links! he is pretty good! He's not quite John but I'll be checking them out when they hit Seattle!

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/2/2010 03:48 AM

Right on Ben

You'll have a blast Bro....John's definitely great, I think he taps into that early 70's Jerry sound (vocally), whereas Stu sounds the way Jerry would've sounded in the 80's-90's minus the hard drugs. I personally dig the later Jerry vocals...they reach to the core of my soul...it's a richer vocal tone...like thick air. ;)

cosmo4
cosmo4
3/2/2010 08:04 AM

Classic JamBase full of hater bitches.

Stu Allen is BADASS.

Kadlicheck Schmadlichek.

He will learn his lesson over on Further with the wives waggin that dogs tail...

Best Jam Band out there is JGB with Stu Allen and Jimmy Tebeau form THE SCHWAG/DEAD AHEAD which is the second best. Those shows from Camp Zoe last year were amazing and I have actually seen Jerry over 200 times not like most of you little haters sucking Nirvana teet while Jerry was kicking it.

Buying a GD tee shirt at hot topic does not qualify you to comment on this type of music.

Next to Phil himself Jimmy Tebeau is WITHOUT A DOUBT the best GD bass player out there. Why do you think Melvin put him in JGB??? Melvin knows! HE was there!

Don't believe me? Check out the videos?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SchwagOfficial

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/2/2010 08:54 AM

Jimmy Tebeau of The Schwag/Dead Ahead is BY FAR the best GD affiliated bass player around....'tis true...Melvin knows.....and Jimmy founded The Schwag so I don't see how this "Grateful Gary" could've played bass with them, but who knows?

Listen to the bass solo of his in this "Eyes of the World"...

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag2009-12-31.The_Schwag_LIVE_at_Owsleys_20091231

P.S. That is Stu Allen on lead/vocals

The Schwag/Dead Ahead are an excellent interpretation of the Greatest Songbook on Earth.

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/2/2010 09:25 AM

Jimmy Tebeau of The Schwag/Dead Ahead is BY FAR the best GD affiliated bass player around....'tis true...Melvin knows.....and Jimmy founded The Schwag so I don't see how this "Grateful Gary" could've played bass with them, but who knows?

Listen to the bass solo of his in this "Eyes of the World"...

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag2009-12-31.The_Schwag_LIVE_at_Owsleys_20091231

P.S. That is Stu Allen on lead/vocals

The Schwag/Dead Ahead are an excellent interpretation of the Greatest Songbook on Earth.

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/2/2010 09:29 AM

sorry about the double post...don't hit refresh on this site or it'll re-post whatever you posted last...lesson learned...carry on. :)

CircuitBent
CircuitBent
3/2/2010 10:04 AM

DSO IS cool! Saw them again in feb at the murat. With that being said Furthur is sounding pretty damn good! I hope to catch them this summer

willydog
willydog
3/2/2010 10:32 AM

What a waste of time...talking about who is the best bass player that sounds like Phil...and the idiots that have to throw out their show count an diminish someone elses opion need to get a life...I am talking to you cosmo4. I have a simular show count and don't fault anyone for buying a Dead shirt at Hot Topic....who cares. DSO...replicates the Dead sound...fun for a sing along. Schwag....same thing. Furthur...actual founding members of the dead involved...need I say anymore. Now you can all go out and count your shows if you want to feel headier than the next guy...or get out your Stu and John action figures and battle out a death match or we can go to the Dead Experience of our choice and leave all this crap behind and have a good time. Your choice.

gmoo
gmoo
3/2/2010 11:18 AM

^ Word.

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/2/2010 12:06 PM

Yeah, what a schmuck...

The whole point is discussion and opinions...it's nice to hear about other artists and fan's perspectives on them (IMO). Aside from that it's taken longer for you to complain than state anything valuable...no, willydog, you need not say anything more. Thanks...have a grateful day.

4michelle
4michelle
3/2/2010 02:25 PM

I thought the article was well written and obviously took some time, from all involved, to compile. Possibly, members of DSO felt like informing their fans of the current status of the band... band member changes, the future of the band and their material, etc. I see nothing wrong with this whatsoever. I love going to DSO shows! :) They play very well. Each are very talented musicians and singers, in their own right.

"Dark Star has constantly had to deal with misconceptions about what they do." Furthermore, "Yes, they carry out a catalog of music created by another group, but it is in the spirit of improvisations where they shine most uniquely. They do NOT think they are the Grateful Dead, and ... they know damn well who they are."

Thank you, members of DSO, for the many years of music you've played for me. Thank you for your time and dedication to great music. Thank you for your generosity at Gratefulfest. The fan song request raffle brought in $6000 in 2005. Since then, Gratefulfest, featuring Dark Star Orchestra, has raised over $16,500 for Retts Syndrome Research Foundation. Sometimes it's not only the music that brings joy to us... but it's the good family that comes with the scene.

Peace and Love be with you ~

What are you Grateful for??

angelfears
angelfears
3/2/2010 03:22 PM

im in tears.

hawgtied
hawgtied
3/2/2010 03:56 PM

Grateful Gary, The only person named Gary to play in The Schwag played Rhythem Guitar after Chopper left the band. During the time He played in the Schwag I got to know him pretty good. He's a great guy. Jimmy T is a great Dead bass player. However, his best work was with a band called Vitamin A. That was a band full of talent. Tracey Lowe is by far the best guitar player not on the major circut.

MRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

I need cheese

Mikey

mattchu
mattchu
3/2/2010 10:42 PM

i was at that cornell show where they did the 89 show, and it was pretty smoking. i think that was one of if not the first show with mattson on lead, im not sure, but he did a danm good job. Everyone in the building seemed happy, and the music was carried on just like its meant to be.

mattchu
mattchu
3/2/2010 10:43 PM

(but i just hit 7 furthur shows, and that is where it is at, furthur is the deal, a grateful dead renaissance if you ask me)

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use