Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

108 Total Messages • Page 5 of 8 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 
Dark Star Orchestra: Life After Dead
lovemusicfood
lovemusicfood
2/27/2010 06:45 PM

Oh yea... Relevant said "#3 DSO, nor any other band playing, sets ticket prices. They are set by the venue." Not true. It is a decision between the band(and/or it's management) and the venue. A majority of the time it set by the band.

Falcon65
Falcon65
2/27/2010 08:10 PM

I sat through way too many mediocre Dead shows in the 80's and 90's, weak sauce Other One's/The Dead, endured the horrors of Phil's voice and mindless ensemble noodles to nowhere of P&F. DSO flat out sounds better on any given night than any latter-day incarnation of the GD. Call them whatever you like, the semantics mean nothing. Of course Bill is bitter, these guys sound way better than anything he has been involved in lately.

ronaldb
ronaldb
2/28/2010 07:34 AM

If Kreutzmann is right, why cover former members of the Grateful Dead always Grateful Dead pieces? Even Furthur plays no further songs. Is this a waste of time? If the listeners and musicians have fun, surely not. If you need to use the term »cover band« (which I don't like) - in my opinion - the late Grateful Dead were more »cover band« than DSO today. So forget about terms like cover or tribute band. Today they have no use anymore, especially in the cosmos of the Grateful Dead.

Joshl92482
Joshl92482
2/28/2010 09:19 AM

get rid of DSO's bass player and get the guy from uncle John's band in colorado, he actually makes an effort to play like phil

brendan3
brendan3
2/28/2010 10:01 AM

OK, they are definately a cover band. a kick ass cover band, but cover is what they do, and do well. i've only seen them 6 or 8 times and had a blast each and every time. definately worth a night out to see these guys. do not agree w/ further either. i just miss ratdog too much. come back boys!!! just me being selfish, have heard great things about further, no opportunity to see them yet.

marcsmall1
marcsmall1
2/28/2010 04:30 PM

Mattson>Kadlicek all day.

Falcon65
Falcon65
2/28/2010 04:50 PM

"And,,the Grateful Dead on a BAD NIGHT sounded waaaay better that DSO on a good night. Hows that for a reply?"

Only the most myopic of Deadheads would agree with you, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. There are too many examples of mediocre Dead shows to choose from over the years. Jerry himself was disinterested for most of the last 5 years, he was far more enthusiastic about JGB and it sure showed. The Dead became slaves to feelings of responsibility toward their entourage to a great degree in later years. A smattering of good runs but alot of forgettable shows. DSO on a good night smokes the Dead on a bad night. Hands down, not even close.

twigburst
twigburst
2/28/2010 06:03 PM

I really like DSO, I don't know why everyone is hating on them so much. They are a great cover band. Spirit band has to sound like the queerest term I've ever heard. I'll go see DSO whenever they are in town, but I see them cause I want to hear the Dead, not cause I want to hear DSO.

Ierner
Ierner
2/28/2010 07:35 PM

Stu Allen is fucking sick though & I personally would love to hear what he throws down with DSO...

~Super slick I bet...

Joshl92482
Joshl92482
3/1/2010 01:31 PM

finally, someone else agreed with me, its not that their bass player isnt good, he just doesnt play like phil or even try to do so, which is kind of a requisite when you are in a GD cover, recreationist whatever the hell you want to call them but they are still a cover band, band

Putnameter
Putnameter
3/1/2010 03:54 PM

Jeff Mattison is fucking incredible! Please keep him for years to come! Gotta love the early stuff over the 80's! Dont get me wrong, I do still love the 80's.

Mattison was intense when I saw him at the National in Richmond, VA! Kill it Mattison u tha man!

Putnameter
Putnameter
3/1/2010 04:03 PM

After reading all the comments hatin on DSO, whats so bad about seeing a cover band? Either go or dont. DSO makes me happy, therefore, I still goto their shows.

hawgtied
hawgtied
3/1/2010 04:42 PM

I see a lot of people here have strong opinions on DSO being a cover band. I think it is all jibberish. The band does a great job, and our a good bunch of guys. I have known Dino and Rob the drummers for DSO since the early 1990's. They both are great guys and have huge hearts. Even though I haven't seen DSO in a few years, the shows I have caught were very good. To get down on them for being a cover band is wrong. To me a cover band rips the music off of another band. These guys were true heads before they were DSO. They play what they love and live. Don't knock them for doing what they love.

Mike

BenSchroeter
BenSchroeter
3/1/2010 04:49 PM

Well it is disheartening to see people here saying such negative things about musicians who have way more talent then they'll ever have....save your negativity for some other place!

That being said, the one thing that helped DSO shine on for all this time, and the thing that had me so excited to see DSO for all these years is because I realized that DSO had an instrument that The Dead (or Further, or The Other Ones, or...) no longer had: JERRY'S VOICE! John was simply amazing (and haunting) in how he was able to supply that instrument the "dead" sound. You can't sing a Jerry song if ya can't sing Jerry!

It was the one reason I stopped trying to see "the Dead" and kept coming back to DSO - they had Jerry! But now Jerry has returned to play with Bobby and where does that leave DSO? Apparently no where... The article never really addressed John's voice as being the real reason that DSO grew and drew people in. For all the rest of the talent that they can find...the most important thing they need is someone who can SING Jerry! Without Jerry singing they have nothing...

j4fern20
j4fern20
3/1/2010 06:12 PM

Where does that leave DSO?

John is not and never was the only person blessed with Jerry's skills...

Here is a SBD recording of Stu Allen(soon to be taking over DSO) with The Schwag/Dead Ahead....Listen to Standing on the Moon if you only get to one of em...although the whole show is smokin!

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2009-09-19.sbd.mtx

...any questions?

Here's a link to HD video of Stu Allen and The Schwag jammin at a Camp ZOE/Schwagstock Music Festival last year...

http://www.iclips.net/watch/schwag-42

...any Furthur questions? :) Enjoy!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use