Dark Star Orchestra: Life After Dead
jazzfester
jazzfester
2/26/2010 08:26 AM

..especially when the bus is named "Furthur."

esysbruce
esysbruce
2/26/2010 08:28 AM

DSO is better than Further, Phil and Friends, Other Ones, Ratdog and any other non - Jerry Grateful Dead original member reincarnation at playing the Dead's music. I know that is tough to say but sometimes others are better at playing original music. Jerry Garcia IS/WAS the Grateful Dead

scotbeckham
scotbeckham
2/26/2010 08:30 AM

I hadn't seen Dark Star in about 4 years until I just saw them at The Neighborhood Theatre in Charlotte, NC on 2/20/10. I had always enjoyed them, but didn't really go out of my way to see them. That being said, the show on 2/20/10 absolutely killed!! They really do have a grittier sound with Jeff and they absolutely won me back over. They were playing with so much more intensity and enthusiam than the other times I had seen them. I've always heard they can be a hit or miss and the other times I've caught them definitely weren't misses b/c I enjoyed them, but the Charlotte show I just saw truly made a much bigger fan of Dark Star.

stuckinabeat
stuckinabeat
2/26/2010 09:03 AM

I cant believe all the disrespect on this board. YES, maybe they are a "cover" band, but they sure do a good job of keeping the spirit of the music alive and if it wasnt for them, I may not be the Dead fan that I am today. Get off your high horses folks, these guys are doing this cause they love the music. It just so happens that its some of the greatest music ever created, so yea they are going to be riding coattails here. BIG DEAL!

driftinimpulse
driftinimpulse
2/26/2010 10:06 AM

a cover of a cover from a 6 teir,7 generation jamband with type A jamming is awesome

1angelesfan
1angelesfan
2/26/2010 10:27 AM

I live in orange county and we have a GD cover band called cubensis that plays every tues at a bar in huntington beach. there awsome, and it's only 10 bucks to see them, I never got a chance to see the GD,jerry died on the eve that was suppost to be my first show but I've seen ratdog. the other ones, phil&friends, I went to the very first further fest, But right now i would not pay 25 bucks to see ratdog or phill&friends unless trey and page where playin with them again. I didnt go see the dead, In my opinion they are just way too old for me, I mean alot of the deads tunes are slow jams already and now you have bobby tring to do his best jerry inpersonation and slowing the music down even more. I listened to some of those dead shows from last summer and its way too fuking slow. So since there is nomore GD and i have seen alot of the follwing acts including dark DDSO, I would much rather pay 10 and get my fix every tues than pay 30-40 on other acts that follow in the foot steps of the GD. cubensis rips just as good as DSO if not better and they've been playin GD music longer, check them out on youtube you will be amazed.

AidanW
AidanW
2/26/2010 10:31 AM

I just recently saw Dark Star Orchestra for the first time in St. Louis, MO and they were amazing. The way they recreate the whole experience was almost perfect. I will have to say I did not expect for the show to be as good as it was. I havn't had that good of a time in a while. The band was on fire! I read all these comments and some people you just can't please, but DSO I just want to let you know that you pleased me and I will for sure see you every time that I possibly can. Thanks for doing what you do!

theterriblebob
theterriblebob
2/26/2010 10:33 AM

Yes huh yes huh yes huh, thousand times infinity touch blue make it true triple stamped

shakobe
shakobe
2/26/2010 10:43 AM

I've seen Stu many times with Melvin Seals. He chanels Jerry just as good as John. When John announced his depature Stu was the first person I thought of as a replacment. I'm super curious and excited to see a show with Stu.

twain
twain
2/26/2010 10:52 AM

i had 100% fun at good ole GD shows from late 80's thru 90's

i have 100% fun at P & F's, Ratdog, Dead etc

i have 100% fun at DSO (esp that scottypaluza long ago in the lodge in Turin)

i have 100% fun listening to all the lovely recordings on daily basis

Further is the absoult HEAT! went too miami & orlando....they were sooooooooooo good went to atlanta>>>asheville>>>charolette, if i was a dozen years younger would of quit my job and tour ratted it da whole way thru....have not had so much fun....EVER....whoever is doubting this line up, man ur missin out. all i know is i have fun.

msudtg
msudtg
2/26/2010 11:02 AM

I saw their first show for the Spring Tour, it was in Minneapolis, MN at the Varsity Theater. You can see live footage of it on Youtube. It was a great show, much better then their show at 10,000 Lakes fest in 2008. Jeff Mattson is great on guitar and does a great job of impersonating Jerry. I think many of you are arguing about semantics, Cover band vs. Orchestra, pretty much the same thing, only one is a derogatory term. DSO is a cover band, but, they are way better then most bands. Now, it is your opinion if you think they should or shouldn't play. Fact is, people, me included, are willing to pay to see them and get the whole experience of the Grateful Dead. Man, I wish more then anything I would have been alive to see them play, I wanted to see them in the very early 1990's and I wasn't even 10 years old. So. the question is, should this music be performed to audiences? I absolutely say yes! I think there should be more cover bands to celebrate music we will never hear live. Uncle Tupelo cover band maybe? But, I also understand how as a musician, this would get boring. To even do this they either have to really need the money or they have to be utterly obsessed. From hearing them perform, I would say it is the latter. I would also love to see DSO perform some Robert Hunter originals, that might be really fun to see... original DSO material written by Hunter... oh well... Keep up the good work DSO, thanks for the great show in MN!

iamzachhouse
iamzachhouse
2/26/2010 11:21 AM

To say that DSO is not a cover band is just misleading. They absolutely are. There is no original content coming out of this band and furthermore, building a career off of the talents of others is theft, hypocrisy, and just wrong.

fayfay
fayfay
2/26/2010 11:30 AM

When you play other peoples music....you are a cover band! Sorry just keeping it real!

mooneystar
mooneystar
2/26/2010 11:35 AM

see, i wouldn't call what they do "wrong." I'm definitely not into it. If other people are, then that's great. Whatever gets you off :)

I don't listen to the Dead like i did in the late '80's/90's, but if need a "fix," i'll pop on a killer soundboard. Some folks saying on here it's the only way to get the GD "experience" but i don't know how you can say that. It's kinda like a facsimile of one.

Again - whatever you like - then awesome. I did see them on Jamcruise a few years ago for a bit - great musicians.

mythmunky
mythmunky
2/26/2010 12:17 PM

I agree. they are definitely a cover band. They just put their own improvisations into the songs, and considering the amount of improv that is in this music there is a good chunk of the music that is original. Either way you lok at it, these guys play awesome songs, and I can't wait for the All Good double dose of GD with Further and DSO (and funkadelic, but that's a different story)

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use