Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

110 Total Messages • Page 2 of 8 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next » 
Dark Star Orchestra: Life After Dead
frinkazoid
frinkazoid
2/25/2010 07:37 PM

Like I said before, Further is worthless...the players in that group re cool and all, but they should've never been.

PS-Joe Russo is the shit. That's a man who IS original! despite his involvement in that travesty.

Danimal1
Danimal1
2/25/2010 07:40 PM

I believe this band is necessary. People who did not see the "Real" thing need to have the music presented to them in an environment that embodies the whole experience ..... especially alot of room to shake your bones and feed off everyones smiles and good vibes.. it is a fantastic musical event that we cannot chance being forgotten.. just cause Billy is "over it" does not mean that this music does not fill the veins of many people older and young. Though Furthur takes a twist on the original DSO gives you what you expect and want. I don't always go see them when they are in town but I think after this I am gonna be in Boulder and at the Villar ctr in Beaver Creek.

Danimal1
Danimal1
2/25/2010 07:41 PM

I believe this band is necessary. People who did not see the "Real" thing need to have the music presented to them in an environment that embodies the whole experience ..... especially alot of room to shake your bones and feed off everyones smiles and good vibes.. it is a fantastic musical event that we cannot chance being forgotten.. just cause Billy is "over it" does not mean that this music does not fill the veins of many people older and young. Though Furthur takes a twist on the original DSO gives you what you expect and want. I don't always go see them when they are in town but I think after this I am gonna be in Boulder and at the Villar ctr in Beaver Creek.

Danimal1
Danimal1
2/25/2010 07:41 PM

frinkazoid
frinkazoid
2/25/2010 08:03 PM

It's all good if you want to see this band , my point is that they can't claim to NOT be a cover band...they need to understand where they stand in the big picture. I'm not trying to take away from peoples enjoyment of the GD's music, long may it live. I just think people who take themselves so seriously that they think they aren't ripping off somebody else's work for money, but are "re-creating" and therefore worthy of some sort of new entitlement clearly need to get over themselves. I suppose imitation is the sincerest form of flattery reins true... This band is being given entirely too much press for what they are doing. Let's focus on the bands that have earned the right to the press these people are getting. They are working their way through the ranks on their own merits..."JUST SAYIN'"

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
2/25/2010 08:44 PM

There was a time ,not very long ago, where the only place you could get the "Grateful Dead" experience was at a DSO show. They definitely have a place and will probably be delivering long after the rest of the real thing is done. 100% necessary.

wmcgurn
wmcgurn
2/25/2010 09:11 PM

Call them whatever you want, but they deliver the goods. They are great, sensitive musicians who play some of the most wonderful songs ever written. It's about the songs, folks! And they can channel the X factor with their own jams! Pretty damn consistently. For every Billy there's a Dan- Healy that is. I've stood behind him at the soundboard of a DSO show while he raised his arms in celebration with an ear to ear grin. He truly enjoyed hearing the great songs done very well.

I'm excited to see them again when they roll into town!

karrvingwaves
karrvingwaves
2/25/2010 11:05 PM

DSO i love you

twigburst
twigburst
2/26/2010 03:24 AM

They are a complex cover band because they aren't just covering songs, but entire setlists, but they are still a cover band. They didn't write the music, I don't know who they are fooling...Spirit band. I really do enjoy hearing DSO and I've seen them many times. I don't want to take anything away from them, but they are giving themselves more credit than they deserve. DSO is a cover band.

blueice3
blueice3
2/26/2010 03:52 AM

If you are into this genre of music, you will find no better experience than DSO. I have been pleasantly amazed at how far out they take the jam and how intense the experience is--these guys are fantastic musicians! Really--haven't experienced these feelings since the Grateful Dead itself. If you are not into the genre, don't go. Editor note: Jeff Mattson also played with Phil and Friends in October of 1999 for three shows at the Warfield Theatre.

GoodLove
GoodLove
2/26/2010 05:04 AM

DSO is what finally got my girlfriend into the good ol' Grateful Dead - because the experience has to be live. I understand why people make the cover band argument, but if they're writing songs with Hunter does that change things? I look forward to seeing an all original DSO set of Hunter songs

tonka1973
tonka1973
2/26/2010 06:47 AM

How old is the saying, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I would guess that the members have second thoughts at times due to the corner they have painted themselves into, but who doesn't when it comes to our jobs. Their job is cooler than mine. I'm sure a decent living is earned touring. Tough to turn away from.

People say 30 bucks a ticket is too much. The thousands and thousands that pay it every year disagree. Supply and demand.

denverguy
denverguy
2/26/2010 07:49 AM

There was a time ,not very long ago, where the only place you could get the "Grateful Dead" experience was at a Grateful Dead show.

denverguy
denverguy
2/26/2010 07:55 AM

There was a time ,not very long ago, where the only place you could get the "Grateful Dead" experience was at a Grateful Dead show.

jazzfester
jazzfester
2/26/2010 08:26 AM

This "orchestra" is in the same place the Grateful Dead were in late August of 1995--they lost their "Jerry." Maybe each member can create another incarnation of this group. Perhaps the "Other Other Ones." How about "(Insert Bass Player's Name) and Friends." Maybe a tour as "The Star Orchestra." Finally, down the road, we have "Much Further" when they mostly get back together again. I hear Warren Haynes fills some huge shoes very well.

Bottom line--if I could tour around and support myself doing it, I would jump on the bus. More power to them.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use