Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

23 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
50 Unsung Classics of the 2000s (Pt. 2)
JamBase
JamBase
2/19/2010 12:00 AM

50 Unsung Classics of the 2000s (Pt. 2)
We wrap up our loving look back at some of the coolest albums from the last ten years that aren't making the other "Best of the Decade" lists out there...

hawkleberry
hawkleberry
2/19/2010 08:22 PM

I listened to moe. "Wormwood" today in the headphones and thought it was a really fun listen...

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
2/19/2010 10:24 PM

Damn Dennis! I knew you had good musical tastes. But I never expected to see you put the blood brothers on a list.

I was pretty bummed when they called it quits. Crimes, and Young Machetes is in constant rotation in my cd player.

Mark my words, Blood brothers reunion within the next 3 years. First show at Coachella.

STEG187
STEG187
2/20/2010 04:28 PM

GFE and Def Leppard

love it Dennis

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
2/21/2010 10:57 AM

Granola Funk fans(if you weren't already aware) should know that they hold an awesome talent show every year and perform for anyone who cares to listen at the National Rainbow Gathering. Big time fun in the woods. GFE has done this for YEARS. Go camp with them and work in their kitchen!

r2droo2
r2droo2
2/21/2010 05:12 PM

brand new..? come on cheer up emo kid

bigchris
bigchris
2/21/2010 07:51 PM

anyone that has Def Leopard on a good music list can't be taken seriously

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
2/21/2010 09:54 PM

"representin south fargo, chill to the max, all love no hate"

you should live by your own words r2droo2

atantricsunday
atantricsunday
2/22/2010 08:01 AM

And we still cant get RX BANDITS - MANDALA onto a list?? I havent heard anything that even comes close to the talent of these guys

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
2/22/2010 08:19 AM

nice list, but Bad Religion's "The Empire Strikes First" (2004) is a far, far, far, far, far better album than New Maps of Hell. I wouldn't even put them on the same level, not even close, not even a longshot.

scottebruce
scottebruce
2/22/2010 08:49 AM

not that anyone cares, but I would like to add my opinions about some albums that should be on these lists:

Rocky Votolato - Makers

Dr. Dog - Fate

Colour Revolt - Plunder, Beg and Curse

Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child

The Whigs - Mission Control

The Wood Brothers - Loaded

Michael - The Day After My Confidence

Moonshine Still - [R]evolution

MOFRO - Blackwater

The Big Wu - Tracking Buffalo Through the Bathtub

The Avett Brothers - Emotionalism

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

Trampled by Turtles - Blue Sky and the Devil

Gregory Alan Isakov - This Empty Northern Hemisphere

The Everybodyfields - Nothing Is Okay

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that is a good start.

And I have some from the 2000s that are not so much under the radar like albums from Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Radiohead, Fleet Foxes, etc... But the ones I have listed here are some of my favorites that I am not sure that everyone was tuned into.....and SHOULD be!

dedhed6111
dedhed6111
2/22/2010 09:06 AM

zebo, tracking buffalo through the bathtub actually came out in the 90's, '97 I think. Then it was re-released on the wu's own label in 2002.

scottebruce
scottebruce
2/22/2010 09:33 AM

gotcha, thanks for the correction!

concertconfessio…
concertconfessio…
2/22/2010 10:35 AM

All ignorant emo jokes aside (shut it hippie) the Brand New record picked here is amazing. Most of their "emo" fan base hated it as it was, well not "emo". It is indeed a post emo, way post hardcore softLOUDsoft classic of last decade. In fact, Brand New's worst record was their pop filled "emo" debut. Everything since then has been dirty gnarly guitar city, and I can never get enough.

aquariumdrunk
aquariumdrunk
2/22/2010 12:04 PM

Big props for Comets on Fire and The Court and Spark!

Both are wonderful for completely different reasons. Jam minded folks will find plenty to love about CoF.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use