jazzfester
jazzfester
2/11/2010 11:26 AM

Hotchkiss,

You said "unit."

bewlay
bewlay
2/11/2010 01:02 PM

AC/DC? Wow this decade must have been lousy.

andrewq
andrewq
2/12/2010 10:26 AM

So glad to see Tim Bluhm's "California Way" on this list. I have long held it as one of, if not the, best singer/songwriter albums I have ever heard. I have called it "perfect" more than once. From the first note it just oozes the sincerity of someone watching the physical and emotional destruction of the one place that they hold dear and the one place they feel they belong - his native state. These are feelings with which so many of us can sympathize. When I dust this record off every once in a while it is for a very intense listen and I never fail to realize something new within it. Thanks, Dennis, for your recognition.

pilisi
pilisi
2/14/2010 11:50 AM

I was going to weigh in on the assorted detritus of naysayers that usually stick to Cheese-reunion message boards, but I couldn't articulate it any better than leclairm already has. That being said, another great "Best of..." list by Dennis and Co. I will now abide with the flow and add some of my previously heralded favorites:

Built to Spill, You In Reverse (2005)

Jim O'Rourke, The Visitor (2009)

Bill Callahan, Sometimes I Wish I Were an Eagle (2009)

Band of Horses, Everything All the Time (2007)

Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (2001)

tommont
tommont
2/15/2010 04:14 AM

of course Hotchkiss in da hizznouse w/ some killa shizznit (I LOVE NELS!) this is so funny, w/o even knowing who wrote this piece and seeing headlines, i thought to myself, that is a Dennis Cook piece. what i don't get is if it is 50 unsung classics why are there 25 listed??? am i missin something? i can't even start w/ the stuff i have dug 2000 to 2009. keep our ears big, Dennis. maybe nxt year i can finally make jamcruise w/ you, i'm off to cayamo again feb 20-26. i just got back from an incredibly reedonkulus night w/ chicago underground duo at du nord (wowwowowowowo!) and sean smith (sadly missed his set but talked w/ him, he sez this upcoming 'shroom rekkid is day best one so far, dennis!) ...sean's new one to drop soon feat the amazing mr josh pollock! last night i caught justin townes earle (over loudon and a bunch of others) at the music hall (wowoowoowwow again!)...one guy i went to show w/ said "he writes better songs than his dad" ...PHENOMENAL songwriter.

great to see you at NM and Iz, Dennis! keep it coming!

uromastyx (formerly jon moses s) w/ swindlefish (ben barnes violin and songwriting from claypool, mr bungle and others) and james whiton & friends on 3/25 at the starry plough in berkeley california. pls come. Whiton is an unsung gem if i've ever heard one. just got a job...WITH TOM WAITS!

chinafrog
chinafrog
2/19/2010 09:56 AM

A lot of music covered on Jambase is a bit too poppy for my taste but Christina Aguillera??

Forget pop

Where are the Stoner Rock, Neo-psych and prog bands? How about all the great Ambient music out there, avant jazz, and experimentalism?

jpenney
jpenney
2/23/2010 05:33 PM

How could The Slip not be on this list? Something from Eisenhower? This omission is painful!

awlawren
awlawren
2/24/2010 07:35 AM

"For all the accolades Radiohead, Beck (who once asked these guys to be his backing band!) and others have received in recent years, Subtle is equally, if not more, deserving." -- c'mon man... i respect your opinion, but -really?!?

jgtwentysix
jgtwentysix
2/24/2010 11:36 PM

I previewed all the ones on this list and look forward to doing the same with part 2. The only album I actually made the leap to buy was Joe Bataan's "Call My Name". It's really, really good and the remixes at the end of the album aren't just filler, they're legit too. I listen to it all the time now.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use