Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

25 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
50 Unsung Classics of the 2000s (Pt. 1)
JamBase
JamBase
2/9/2010 12:00 AM

50 Unsung Classics of the 2000s (Pt. 1)
We take one final loving look back at the last ten years to highlight some of the finest records that aren't making the other big "Best of the Decade" lists out there...

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
2/9/2010 09:22 PM

I wouldn't classify Christina's back to basics as "unsung". It debuted at #1 in 12 countries and sold 4.5 million units. Fantastic album, but not really unsung.

There's a few "need to listen too" in there, thanks D.

Biscizzle
Biscizzle
2/10/2010 12:19 AM

how is she even considered?

meangreene
meangreene
2/10/2010 12:50 AM

Whoa... where am i right now???

driftinimpulse
driftinimpulse
2/10/2010 06:34 AM

Thanks for shining a light on some great unheard artist! I cant wait till part 2 comes out!

deceasedlavy
deceasedlavy
2/10/2010 07:48 AM

Great piece by JB's records guru. I have to say, I think Opeth's GHOST REVERIES is a better album than BLACKWATER, and probably the best metal album of the decade. I hope to see Fog's DITHERER, Jesu's CONQUEROR, some Jurassic 5, and some Ani (for fuck's sake) in the next installment...Secret Chiefs 3 probably too much to hope for? Anyway, looking forward to it!

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
2/10/2010 07:56 AM

Here's a few more

The Nels Cline Singers: instrumentals (2002)

His first singers album, absolutely marvelous. Giant Pin saw a little more recognition, but over all most of the singers (all of Nels' stuff for that matter) has flown under the radar.

The Mars Volta: The Tremulant EP (2002)

Mars Volta albums always make it to the "best of" list's. But this powerful 19 minutes and 28 seconds of music was vastly overlooked.

Sage Francis: still sickly business (2005)

Seems like all of his "sick of" mix tape series was completely ignored by most publications. Most likely because personnel journals and a healthy distrust were such monstrous albums.

Elgin Park: self titled (2000)

Simple pop rock from Mike Andrews and friends. Robert Walters laid down some Keys on the album. (Mike is in Greyboy Allstars for those who don't know)

Jon Brion: meaningless (2001)

The best pop album to ever be released in the 2000's!

TrevorReid
TrevorReid
2/10/2010 08:29 AM

A great read but I must say this is a little absurd. Perhaps what I mean is improperly titled. It feels like Jambase is trying a little too hard here. How about calling the article 'some OK albums of the last 10 years that you'd PROBABLY over look, but COULD give a listen, and MIGHT like.' Much respect for the beans to put Christina on here though, although I must agree with hotchkiss and say 'unsung??'

degr2906
degr2906
2/10/2010 12:00 PM

As a huge Bill Frisell fan I was surprised to see The Intercontinentals on there. It's good and deserved it's grammy nomination, but there really are much better Frisell albums in my opinion. If I was going to turn someone on to Bill Frisell I'd burn them a copy of East/West. It's live, completely groundbreaking, and it shows all sides of the guy from outright shredder, to avant-garde, to folk jazz hero. And for a studio outing, check out Bill Frisell with Holland and Jones. It's absolutely incredible! And though Unspeakable can't really be called unsung, since it won a grammy for best jazz album, it should be mentioned because it really was his most "jambased" album.

CoreyBauer
CoreyBauer
2/10/2010 03:19 PM

and why does the general follower on jambase care about this?

crusoe
crusoe
2/10/2010 06:05 PM

Trying to talk about the best albums over a ten year period is futile, to each his own or whatever right.However, I'd like to add some Tegan and Sara either sainthood or the con, also the roots "phrenology", best hip-hop album of the decade, how about royksopp's "junior" or rjd2's deadringer.

SwordfishTrombone
SwordfishTrombone
2/10/2010 07:05 PM

For me, didn't hear much buzz about Gogol Bordello's "Multi Contra Kulti vs. Irony" when it came out, great album and really indicative of their future work. Also, the Brazilian Girls' self-titled debut album was fantastic. Christina Aguilera, why are you on here?

SwordfishTrombone
SwordfishTrombone
2/10/2010 07:06 PM

And gotta throw in "Real Gone" by Tom Waits, some truly sinister and odd tunes on that album.

leclairm21
leclairm21
2/10/2010 07:19 PM

"and why does the general follower on jambase care about this?"

Well, I'm a general follower on JamBase - I come to the site probably 3 or 4 times a week. I love articles like this one on any music site/blog, whether it's JamBase, Stereogum, Relix or something else.

I'll avoid making assumptions about your musical listening decisions and reply to your question and some of the negative comments in this thread with this: Why wouldn't "the general follower on jambase" want to learn of an album featuring part of MMW or a jazz record covering tunes from Pavement, one of the jammiest grunge bands of the past decade?

Thanks for the post Mr. Cook.

dtwisco
dtwisco
2/10/2010 08:09 PM

everyone should get fannypack.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use