Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

13 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Trampled by Turtles | 01.22 | S.F.
JamBase
JamBase
1/26/2010 12:00 AM

Trampled by Turtles | 01.22 | S.F.
Opening for Devil Makes Three, these fast rising pickers showed great grace, speed and charm...

lovemusical
lovemusical
1/26/2010 12:56 PM

Very well written review. The thing I love most about TBT is their live energy. They really do play "Bluegrass" with a "Punk" excitement. Although those genres don't necessarily describe them 100% either. As a band they are simply awesome in studio or live. But as good as the band is, perhaps even more amazing is the songwriting of Lead Singer Dave Simonett. Whether it's up tempo or slow ballad, Simonett's songs are raw, emotional, with uncanny catchy string melodies. He would do very well as a solo artist. But you can tell TBT is where his heart is. If you love good live string music, it doesn't get any better than TBT. Their albums are incredible too.

revjones
revjones
1/26/2010 12:56 PM

good review, GREAT band. went to school in MN, and have seen these guys from the start when they were a four piece playing the local bars. good guys. sat in a barn during a rainstorm after my buddy's 'micro' fest. http://www.boatsandbluegrass.com/Home.html TBT played all nite, after their 'official' show. lotsa whiskey. good times. go see 'em if you can people. and yes, they are FAST.

moemoe6434
moemoe6434
1/26/2010 04:21 PM

Great band, love them.

oldfartatplay
oldfartatplay
1/26/2010 05:40 PM

gushing review-not a bit overstated, these guys deserve every bit of it.

mrblazer15
mrblazer15
1/26/2010 06:15 PM

being from minnesota and watching these guys evolve their was simply amazing. to selling out the cabooze to packing first avenue. i recently moved out to colorado and attended aspen,vail,breckenridge shows and my jaw dropped when i walked in and saw how many people these guys attracted outside mn. people knew their songs and were calling out old tunes for them to play. this band is blowing up exponentially and if you have not heard them buy duluth of itunes asap. best thing in bluegrass today.

moeMan1
moeMan1
1/27/2010 08:26 AM

CO loves bluegrass so there should be no surprise to find full venues out here for TBT. i went to the bluebird shows as well as the breckenridge show and i think these guys are great. great review as well.

Craw
Craw
1/27/2010 08:33 AM

Way to go fellas! MN Pride!

gmoo
gmoo
1/27/2010 11:36 AM

I love your writing Dennis, but its a shame you didn't review The Devil Makes Three.

mickrod420
mickrod420
1/27/2010 02:00 PM

agreed with gmoo. It was a Devil Makes Three show. They have a super solid disc they released this past year titled "do wrong right". I put it on my top 3 discs released of 2009. I find that omitting DM3, the headliner, is suspicious and strange... TBT is good and all, but was not the reason the independent sold out two nights. ya dig?

ORCO4TWENTY
ORCO4TWENTY
1/27/2010 10:59 PM

I always love getting Trampled by Turtles.

mattguff9
mattguff9
1/30/2010 08:05 AM

Great review. I try to catch these guys whenever they make the short trip to MPLS. The crowds are always raucous and the energy palpable. And they possess a great sense of balance. All the musicians sit in a straight line and nobody commands more attention or licks than another. Check out this band. They are very unique in the string scene.

bonnaroo2002mn
bonnaroo2002mn
2/1/2010 10:18 PM

Can't say enough about these guys. I started listening and hitting their live shows about 3 years, and I can't get enough! The real deal, boys and girls. Gonna hit the St. Cloud, Mankato, and Sioux Falls shows next week while I can still see them at a smaller bar venue because they are outgrowing them fast. Glad to see they are getting some well deserved press. Play faster boys!!!!

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use