Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

51 Total Messages • Page 1 of 4 • 1 2 3 4 Next » 
Jam Cruise 8 | 01.03.10 - 01.08.10
JamBase
JamBase
1/13/2010 12:00 AM

Jam Cruise 8 | 01.03.10 - 01.08.10
We spend a week at the Mecca for live, jam-oriented music and report back on the scene...

tallboytodd
tallboytodd
1/13/2010 07:06 PM

Best week ever...again. Can't miss the boat ever again. Nice to see Pretty Lights rocking the jersey we made him too.

rainydayman
rainydayman
1/13/2010 07:18 PM

That was a beautiful review Dennis, but from one friend to another, what's up with people being drawn to your shoulder for a good cry? Really?

snappy
snappy
1/13/2010 08:02 PM

Rainydayman, it's the grey hair and fatherly vibe I exude, especially since I had a kid of my own a few years ago. Folks just suddenly felt like they could cut loose around me a few times and I strangely handled it with a fair amount of aplomb and then went back to freakin' on the music and crazy scene around me. But yeah, it happened about 6 times and was unique to this floating festival. Never had anything like it happen at High Sierra or Bonnaroo. In retrospect, I think it's actually pretty cool for people to be that open and vulnerable.

rainydayman
rainydayman
1/13/2010 08:11 PM

That's cool snappy. I get that sometimes too. Must be the gray hair and fatherly image. The fact that it's unique to the cruise speaks volumes to the sense of openness and abandonment. It sounds like a magical experience. I was pleased also to read your assessment of the cruise not really being an elitist experience. I wish I could've been there. Party on my friend. Maybe I'll meet you at Bonnaroo this year.

makejahmusic
makejahmusic
1/13/2010 08:15 PM

you nailed it bro

henahan
henahan
1/13/2010 08:40 PM

Dennis- Incredible review. Once again, your writing is top notch and evokes images and storylines that are universal and still unique all at once. Jamcruise is an experinece like no other. It takes a brave man to try to encapsulate and formulize what can truly not be put into words. Jamcruise is an experience that can only be lived and thus beloved......and I plan on living it over and over again. What is even more incredible is that you only touched on a small fraction of the music that went down and yet, on Jamcruise, you are never longing for the show around the corner. Kudos to your moxey and welcome to your new home.

tommont
tommont
1/13/2010 08:41 PM

Happy Gnu Year, Dennis...I am really happy that you got to go on the boat. I've been itching to go since the first year and it appears to be geting better and better ea year esp w the huge influx of NOLA grooves in last two or three years. (dennis knows but to the rest of you, i love the jam for sure but i LOVE LOVE LOVE the fonk). that is cool Shawty kicked it off, i got to see him in SF at the Indy on NYE and though most of my buds were at Furthur i had a fantastic time. Anyway, great writeup, great photos Dave. I am glad I can sort of vicariously experience this through your report, Dave's photos and all of the great photos on facebook friends have been posting. I need to try to make this happen in 2011. As for your wish list: that is awesome that you give Poor Man's Whiskey some love. I love DSOTM and i've loved PMW for a number of years, they are very talented. Good job, thanks Dennis and thx 'base for sending him!!

Juan
Juan
1/13/2010 08:57 PM

Looks like a lot of tweakers... and not a place for a sober one to be. But rock on... looks incredible. Thanks Dennis

bigmikedmb
bigmikedmb
1/13/2010 09:40 PM

Debbie Downer above!

SnakeReam
SnakeReam
1/13/2010 10:26 PM

^ Is he talking about JamCruise or JamBase?

buddhistprodigy
buddhistprodigy
1/13/2010 10:43 PM

actually, there is some of the most quality sobriety that one could ever hope for on this boat. seriously.

YourFriendWoody
YourFriendWoody
1/13/2010 11:22 PM

Thank You for the review, I had a huge smile on my face reading as I recalled every minute of this years amazing experience. This was my second year on the boat and I don't foresee missing it ever again. I am glad you had fun and hope to meet you there next year.

Scarphace
Scarphace
1/14/2010 12:11 AM

Reading this review just got me even more excited for next year. I have already pre-booked my cabin and am proud to say I will be there for my honeymoon. Honestly, this review brought a tear to my eye, especially hearing about all of those who had the cruise do the same for them. Life is hard and full of adventures, both good and bad, and to take a moment to step back, reflect, and release in whatever way is necessary is what I am truly looking forward to. It's gonna be a long year, however knowing that there is going to be this light at the end, as well as at the start of a new beginning with my love, is what it's all about. I am so excited to share this adventure with everyone who will be attending next year!!!!!!!

toestothenose
toestothenose
1/14/2010 06:41 AM

Top notch images and words! Cook - Your experiences on the high seas sound surreal. The descriptions of hopping from seeing the Word in the hottub to the Metal version of Bitches Brew aka OHMphrey made me wince thinking that i'd missed another year.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use