Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

36 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
Charlie Hunter: A New Beginning
headynugs
headynugs
1/17/2010 10:55 AM

He's always been a egomaniacal dick and I think thats well know. But he is a bad man

Samzo
Samzo
1/18/2010 02:33 PM

Fuck Lala... give me the whole song god damnit.

3riverz
3riverz
1/18/2010 04:54 PM

I have had my musical experience affected by someone talking or shouting at a show. Tolerance is the key! Have been a supporter of both GAT and Charlie Hunter.....it seems like both artists are thriving. It seems like Charlie could have been a little kinder, or hell just flat out lied in his response to a interesting question!

3riverz
3riverz
1/18/2010 05:18 PM

I have had my musical experience affected by someone talking or shouting at a show. Tolerance is the key! Have been a supporter of both GAT and Charlie Hunter.....it seems like both artists are thriving. It seems like Charlie could have been a little kinder, or hell just flat out lied in his response to a interesting question!

barnburnermusic
barnburnermusic
1/20/2010 11:41 AM

Charlie is a jazz guy that never loved fans that don't listen, but instead are there for the scene. I'm w/him. As for GAT, the reason they didn't get a deal is b/c Hunter left, and w/him went much of their soundscan numbers. Also, let's call it like it is, he's so much better then guys like Skerik, it's amusing. Technically, he's on a completely different level

Gphishmon
Gphishmon
1/26/2010 05:08 PM

I once attended a Charlie Hunter performance at a now-defunct club in the middle of the Pitt campus. Jazz Mandolin Project also performed, but I left before they came out, probably because I was upset at Hunter for his actions during his show. Picture a bunch of mostly college-age hippy boys (and some girls) there to see JMP, many of them discovering the amazing guitarist that Hunter is for the first time, and sharin' in the groove. Some of us are clapping along to the music, because the beat is so infectious. Suddenly, Hunter stops soloing and starts singing over the groove, and soon I realize that he's singing AT the audience, and what he has to say is not nice. "I'm tryin' ta play this music, and you're clapping out of time, and you know it hurts, it really hurts!" Complete bringdown. I'm standing there thinking, "Was it I who was out of time?" instead of getting into the music. It spoiled my enjoyment to a major degree.

Charlie Hunter is best listened to at home, where you can interpret the music yourself and phreak phreely without worrying that you might be offending his deh-wikket widdle sensitivities so much that you might give him a "seizure," and it might be weeks till he feels "whole again." What an ass! What a pompous, elitist, supercilious, self-righteous, holier-than-thou snob! If his music is so complex that he can't play it when people are dancing to it, or if he's so easily offended and distracted to even NOTICE that someone in the audience is dancing out of rhythm, then maybe he's NOT AS GOOD AS HE THINKS HE IS, and should simplify his music. It's just like how if you can't play a song without looking for where the notes are, you don't really know the song. Or maybe he should only play high society events where people sit stock still and just listen. If he's not down with people sharing in his groove at more than just a mental level, he shouldn't put himself out there like he does.

And for all of you who are "with him" on this, please don't come to shows where people dance and enjoy themselves. I don't want you there spoiling my good time.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use