Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

36 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
Charlie Hunter: A New Beginning
JamBase
JamBase
1/12/2010 12:00 AM

Charlie Hunter: A New Beginning
Charlie Hunter enters the New Year with a new album and a residency in Brooklyn. JamBase speaks with the man about the record, his 7-stringer, the new band and Garage A Trois...

Jidi
Jidi
1/13/2010 06:11 AM

What Hunter does is incredible...and I wonder if his problems with rowdy crowds having too much fun was the entire reason he left garage a trois. either way, everythings for the best - with Benevento on the team those dudes are killing it

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
1/13/2010 07:33 AM

The same reason Charlie left Garage is the same reason I can only fully enjoy a show when in the front row. That way I can tune out all the Drunken/stoned peeps dancing like fools.

vida421
vida421
1/13/2010 08:29 AM

Charlie is funny like that...a few years ago he was playing with DJ Olive and Bobby Previte...I smoked out with Olive and Bobby between sets...but when Charlie came around he kicked me and my friend out, cause he didn't want to be around the smoke. It got a little tense, cause Olive and Booby wanted to keep puffin...but Charlie wasn't havin it.

groovesharer
groovesharer
1/13/2010 12:11 PM

Regardless of his own preferences, it's pretty stupid, thoughtless, and ungrateful of him to dump on the fans who were some of his earliest supporters.

STEG187
STEG187
1/13/2010 12:22 PM

Typical Chaz Hunter-

eloquent player

kind of an asshole tho

androckguitar
androckguitar
1/13/2010 01:06 PM

yeah, he's a great player....but an asshole too. I tried to talk to him about playing once and he totally shut me down.

boknows
boknows
1/13/2010 01:19 PM

WOW, glad I read this thread first. Didn't know anything about him personally but always dug his playing. What a complete and utter douche this guy is.

Is he that good musically that guys have to play with him and put up with this BS?

Well, this whole interview has me off my game, I'll be back in a few weeks when I become whole again.

Greg11
Greg11
1/13/2010 02:02 PM

don't believe everytging you read here

Charlie is a gentleman and one of the amazing musicians of any era

people bugging the fuck out of you repeatedly, night after night, with the same bullshit would get to anyone everntually

very few humans can do what he does, and if he needs his space and a certain environment to do it , then that should be respected, not shit upon

saw him DESTROY Rose Live in Williamsburg last night, as he will do the next 2 Tuesdays, go check it out and find out what's really important here . . .

sorry he doesn't want to be friends with all of you, so get over it

GA

sleepymonky
sleepymonky
1/13/2010 02:04 PM

I was really pissed after he left and really never knew why because each GAT show I had seen had been better and better. Come to find out it was over some clown dancing in his own time? Rowdy crowds? Space pepole demanding the funk? Wow.

Seen him 5 times since and felt let down 3 of those. Oh well, like Jidi said... the trois is killing it now!

jazzfester
jazzfester
1/13/2010 02:05 PM

Yeah. I hate it when people are high or drunk around me at a show. It really pisses me off when others enjoy music too. Maybe Chuckles can give a little class on how he wants people to enjoy HIS music.

Maybe this kind of personality is the reason why some people say that they don't know enough about jazz to listen to it. If you like the sound, enjoy it however it stikes you.

freaktet
freaktet
1/13/2010 02:43 PM

Gimme a break, posters -- if it goes so far as to make playing unenjoyable for him, he absolutely should move on. Personally I hate jagoffs screaming in my ear at a concert or not. If you don't like his decision, by all means go see someone else. It'll leave more room (and audible space) for me.

circlelimit
circlelimit
1/13/2010 02:52 PM

I'm not going to weigh in one way or another since I don't know enough about the guy but to this:

"Well, this whole interview has me off my game, I'll be back in a few weeks when I become whole again.", I say well played!

vida421
vida421
1/13/2010 03:33 PM

I just want to say, I don't think he's a dick at all...as a fan of south park, I can understand the not liking the jamband scene.

Charlie is great in a nice small room...and if you're cool to him, he is usually cool in return.

NootkaSound
NootkaSound
1/13/2010 11:37 PM

I saw Charlie when he was at wickerpark fest in Chicago... before Tony Mason even set up his drums there was some idiot yelling "drum solo!" at the top of his lungs. Finally all three members in the band at the same time just told the asshole to shut up. Seriously, Tony didn't have his drums on stage... and "drum solo!" was being screamed, can you blame him for leaving that sort of thing? I hardly think not.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use