Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

19 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
YMBB | 12.31 | CO
JamBase
JamBase
1/7/2010 12:00 AM

YMBB | 12.31 | CO
YMSB ring in the New Year with Darol Anger and The Lee Boys. We've got pics from...

tractorboy
tractorboy
1/7/2010 02:45 PM

Not included in the setlist, was the number of times Jeff and Ben babbled on and on about nothing. What a group of self indulgent, pedestrian musicians. I don't understand their following, obviously people who are not familiar with anything closely resembling bluegrass music. Yawnder Mountain String Bland, when we stop talking long enough on stage, we play mediocre music.

Flat5
Flat5
1/7/2010 03:29 PM

We Want the Funk, huh?

cbrunpc
cbrunpc
1/7/2010 03:41 PM

Tractorboy, sorry your NYE sucked. I loved the show, and will be at NYE with them next year. Yonder Mountain Funk Band.

bradfe74
bradfe74
1/7/2010 04:51 PM

hey tractor- Yonder doesn't follow rules, yours or anybody else's. If your not happy then be sure to check out one of the many other bands playing in Denver over NYE next year.

crate
crate
1/7/2010 05:21 PM

Agreed.

Tractor, if you're not down with the randomness that is a Yonder show, then go elsewhere. You should've hollered. I'd have gladly used your ticket.

crazynate
crazynate
1/7/2010 05:54 PM

Looks like a solid set list some good stuff in there.

sueshi9
sueshi9
1/7/2010 09:10 PM

Nice shots, Tobin!

malnor
malnor
1/8/2010 01:48 AM

Yonder seriously threw down at the Fillmore...

And as far as I'm concerned, when you've got people going out of their way, and taking time out of their own lives to to get on the computer and talk shit on an online message board, you've really made it. So rock on Yonder, and thanks for your time tractorboy.

circlelimit
circlelimit
1/8/2010 06:43 AM

I'll preface my comments by saying I'm not a die-hard YMSB fan but I appreciate them for what they are. I certainly could not do what they do. This was my third or fourth NYE with Yonder at The Fillmore and they have all been good times. I'm more of instrumental funk/organ trio fan of bands like Soulive, Robert Walter, Lettuce, etc and even I have fun at these shows.

The Lee Boys...so they're a sacred steel band like Robert Randolph & The Family Band. Wouldn't you know it, they opened with "Right Direction"-> "I Don't Know What You Come to Do" = to RR standards. I thought that was odd. The Lee Boy sit-ins were ok, IMHO, but they lasted a bit long for many of the Yonder fans from what I overheard. Still, it was an interesting twist to the night.

Yonder's lights were really impressive for a band of their size and style. At Red Rocks this year I noticed an improvement in their lighting rig but it was another two levels higher at The Fillmore. That backdrop shown in pics was sick! It's unique design added great texture to the palette of colors and patterns projected upon it. I'm a huge Kuroda fan (as you all should be ;) )and always pay attention to a band's lighting designer's work and NYE was well done. The laser was pretty standard and could likely have been used more sparingly.

All in all, it was a fun night even for someone like me who doesn't actively listen to Yonder outside of live shows. Adam really brings the heat at times and I think they have a full sound even without a drummer. Bluegrass for purists? Not at all. But they're not going for that, are they?

Thanks for the pics, Tobin. Nice job.

funkymtn
funkymtn
1/8/2010 07:16 AM

Ben's finally in the middle where he should be!

_Sugaree_
_Sugaree_
1/8/2010 07:52 AM

I love Yonder!! I really wish I made the trip out to CO for this show. Setlist looked great. Tractor - you are ridiculous. Yonder plays on a much higher level than mediocre!! and I love Jeff and Ben's banter!!!!!!!

TSPeer
TSPeer
1/8/2010 08:19 AM

Isn't that Darol Anger on the fiddle in the pics?

struby420
struby420
1/8/2010 08:21 AM

tractor is one of those people who do too much molly and then think they're clever when a band's not doing what they want so they add some witicism to it. "yawnder" is right up there with "soundtriber sucktor 9". if you don't like it, shut the hell up. self-indulgent pedestrian musicians? SHARDS BRO, SHARDS.

smwalms
smwalms
1/8/2010 09:21 AM

WOW. I love Yonder and everything they do. These guys are insanely talented and I honestly wish I could quit my job and just travel around to every show they play. Thats how serious i am. I am amped to hear to their version of reuben and cherise.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use