Ray White and Ike Willis Reunite with Project/Object
JamBase
JamBase
12/7/2009 12:00 AM

Ray White and Ike Willis Reunite with Project/Object

PUFNSTUF1
PUFNSTUF1
12/10/2009 10:37 AM

My first Zappa show was in 1977 and my last in 1984. Both Ike and Ray were in the band and Frank was Frank. No one could shred it like Frank....... just standing there not even looking like he's trying. Remember one show at Memorial Hall in Kansas City in 1980 or 1981 when I thought the show was over and shot out the side exit right into Frank's Bus. Standing outside were Ike Willis, Ray White and Frank. They looked at me and said, "Where are you going? We're about to do another encore." I mumbled "Oh shit!" and turned around and grabbed the door handle but the door had already locked behind me. Ike said, "No problem, come with us." I got to see the second encore from the side of the stage.

Yet for some reason Ike still won't confirm me as a friend on his facebook page. Aaaahhhhh, those crazy musicians....what are ya gonna do.......

binman1
binman1
12/10/2009 12:03 PM

so who knows the inside scoop as to why Ray White totally dissed Dweezil on the Zappa Plays Zappa tour just 2-4 days before their Europe Tour departure? I've seen Project Object for the past 15 years and they are great, and so is Ray White. Dweezil's band, Zappa Plays Zappa is awesome, too. just a complete shame that Ike & Dweezil don't get along....don't know why or how it started....it's probably all Gail Zappa's fault. I'd just like to know some details as to how Ray White, a professional, could leave Dweezil so high and dry at the last minute, and not even have the guts to pick up the phone and tell him in person.....instead, Dweezil got an email with just a few sentences and totally got shafted by Ray. It's just too bad Ray had to behave to unprofessionally, since he is an amazing musician. who's knows why things went south between Dweezil & Ray and Dweezil & Ike?

galactic44
galactic44
12/10/2009 02:03 PM

FatChance- My guess would be the same serious drug problems that led to the premature breakup of KVHW. I f'in LOVE Ray White, but the guy is a fuck-up. 'Nuff said.

mesaxi
mesaxi
12/10/2009 02:09 PM

Ok FatChance, here's the deal.

Gail Zappa has been attempting to put a stop to Frank Zappa 'cover bands' playing Franks music without paying some sort of royalty to the Zappa Family Trust. The problem with that is, cover bands are not required by law to pay royalties if a) The venue being played has a blanket licence and b) they are not selling recordings of the music. She has put out numerous lawsuits against various parties. She particularly targets Project/Object, calling venues they are going to play and threatening to sue. Some venues have cancelled P/O shows under her pressure. The way I see it, she's trying to help Dweezil corner the Zappa cover band market with Zappa Plays Zappa. In my opinion if Dweezil has a problem with it he can start touring with his own music, he has a few albums. I'm totally against what Gail's been doing, and will be at both Chicago shows (maybe Milwaukee too!)

I'll see ya there!

binman1
binman1
12/10/2009 02:22 PM

thanks for the feedback, mesaxi (& galactic), but it just doesn't explain Ray White's unprofessional behavior. i think Galactic may have the scoop on it. just a shame that they can't all get along.....as i would love to see Ike play with Dweezil, but that will never happen.

Fanofbrew
Fanofbrew
12/11/2009 07:07 AM

If anyone is going to be at the Cambridge show in January be sure to check out the bassist they're playing with that night, (Denny Walley's grandson no less!) Andrew Walley. Talk about talent! He's one of my best friends and an INCREDIBLE young bass talent. Walley is straight up the spawn of Bootsy Collins and Jaco Pastorius if they had had a baby... Denny's grandson is pretty sick too, though!

mesaxi
mesaxi
12/11/2009 01:18 PM

Well, it seems to me that the Zappas are very hard people to work with. I heard that Phish had a sit down with Dweezil when they first wanted to do Peaches en Regalia, and Dweezil helped them work the song out. Then after they played it he told them that he doesn't want them to play it again (I don't know how true that story is). I've seen ZPZ a couple of times, and yes they're amazing, but I'm still going to boycott them over the whole Gail situation, and their ticket prices. Both bands played the newly reopened Morse Theater here in Chicago. ZPZ played 3 nights, tickets were 115. P/O played one night and tickets were 25. There's being humble, and being self-righteous.

As for what exactly happened between Ray and Dweez, I don't have a clue. I know Dweezil had a small spat with Adrian Belew because he wanted Ade to come out and do the Bob Dylan part on "Flakes" at a show, but he has a problem with one of his guitar techs. He said that he didn't want to see that person, but somehow the guy was back stage at the show and Dweezil got his panties in a bunch over it.

Unfortunately I have to wonder how Frank would feel about all of this business, and even less fortunately I don't think I'd be on his side.

nomemory
nomemory
12/11/2009 04:23 PM

No familiar with all of this back history that you guys are talking about, but it's interesting stuff. What I do know is that I saw Project Object a couple years back, with Ike Willis, and they were tighter than iCarly (oh no i didn't). If you have a chance to see P/O, drama or not, go see them. You will be glad you did.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use