The Contribution: w/ members of SCI, Railroad, New Monsoon
JamBase
JamBase
11/30/2009 12:00 AM

The Contribution: w/ members of SCI, Railroad, New Monsoon

cookiesthepirate
cookiesthepirate
11/30/2009 07:32 AM

Me likey.... but doesn't this stuff beg for some percussion or another kit?

phi2thelip
phi2thelip
11/30/2009 07:48 AM

very nice... I hope its a well- balanced album and not twangy the whole time

stringche101
stringche101
11/30/2009 08:11 AM

sounded pretty rockin, cant wait to hear some more from them.

phalluscooper
phalluscooper
11/30/2009 08:16 AM

Very nice!

tourfan
tourfan
11/30/2009 08:23 AM

Wow, what a great tune. A fantastic line up. Count me in when these cast tour. Kaycee, Thanks for posting this and sharing it. Love it.

Now, allow me to toss the spark that is likely to ignite a flame. What does this mean/imply for RRE, NMSn, and most importantly, for SCI? We know that SCI is planning dates for 2010 - that is no longer a secret. But ..... Is SCI going to be playing bluegrass? have you listened to Emmitt/Nershi? That is the style of music that Nershi - an acoustic guitarist - wants to be writing, recording, and performing. Have you heard EOTO? That's the direction that Hann and Travis have leaned towards. Very different from Bluegrass. And Mosely's own release is also far from "Bluegrass."

The point that I am trying to make is this: Yes, we're going to get a SCI run in 2010, and I am excited for it. I will be there with bells on. But I just don't see Nershi having a desire to keep on making the kind of music that the rest of the group wants to be making. I see him making the decision to leave SCI for good. And even if SCI goes on to play/record/perform as SCI without him, making more modern, traditional rock music in this vein, it won't be SCI as far as this LONG time SCI fan is concerned.

Carbone has produced the new release from Greenesky Bluegrass. And now he's involved with this. Todd Shaeffer of RRE is performing solo shows and From Good Homes is doing a ten year reunion show - I will be there with bells on.

I am not really sure about to much info on NMSn, as I don't follow them closely.

It is great that all these guys have other avenues of music which to express themselves. And I for one really enjoyed this song and can't wait to hear more. And I am just extrapolating here, and this is just my own opinion. But I for one am wondering what this all means for RRE and SCI - two of my favorite bands?

Just my two cents - please don't hate on me for putting this out there as I have. Love to hear others' thoughts.

gurgi617
gurgi617
11/30/2009 09:13 AM

sickness

androckguitar
androckguitar
11/30/2009 10:44 AM

awesome...New Monsoon and RRE are sick.

friendofcheese108
friendofcheese108
11/30/2009 10:47 AM

Tourfan i completely agree with what u have stated and ur opinion actually said a lot to me about which direction the sci-fidelity label and these bands are going to head toward. Now as to concerns to String Cheese, I really hope that the rest of the band will listen to what creative ideas Silly Billy has to offer, and you are right that it wont be Cheese without the big cheese himself! Everyone in SCI brings their own special element and although there may be differences, everyone's musical voice should be heard. I am very excited to see what The Contribution has in store for all of us in our scene as well and am soo very happy that Phil "rips the ivories" Ferlino and Jeff Miller are a part of it because they truly are amazing musicians that create magical music and its sad to see that New Monsoon doesn't really do as much as they used to! But overall excited to see whatever comes and thnks for helping me shed a little more light on this topic:)

bdaughert
bdaughert
11/30/2009 11:41 AM

tourfan 11/30/2009 08:23 AM • [Report Abuse]

"I will be there with bells on. "

dude, from the rest of us.....leave the bells off please...

phishdead2
phishdead2
11/30/2009 12:10 PM

^^^^ if i had to guess he was just using it as an expression, not literally.i hope...cuz when girls come to shows w/ those little bells on their fingers it really pisses me off.

IPowrie
IPowrie
11/30/2009 01:22 PM

Looks good

tourfan
tourfan
11/30/2009 01:24 PM

Haaaaa ^^^^^^ Indeed Treetop --- totally was just meant as an expression as phishdead has said. Guess you've never heard that expression? No worries. try goggling the expression; I found this answer that seems fitting: I capitalized the most important words.

The phrase "with bells on" seems to have first appeared in this sense in the early 20th century, and there are two theories about the bells.

One is that the reference is to the costume of a court jester, including a fool's cap festooned with bells, thus perhaps alluding to the speaker's intention to appear "dressed to the nines" and READY TO BOOGIE. The other theory harks back to the days of horse-drawn carriages, when on special occasions the horse's harness might be decorated with festive bells.

pinkrobot2
pinkrobot2
11/30/2009 03:58 PM

ssssweeeet!!! emmitt-nershi are coming to my town next week and i'm hoping there will be some mention of future endeavors, but if not, I'll still be "ready to boogie."

i truly hope the grassroots aren't eliminated from SCI shows...that's what makes them so great is all the unique genres you get to enjoy in just one show. getting soo excited for 2010!!!

Lightenupyourload
Lightenupyourload
11/30/2009 05:20 PM

I'm not sure how anyone could call this bluegrass, but it would be to SCI's benefit if they went back to their roots...

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use