DSO's John Kadlecik Leaves/Replaced by Matson
hugetrucker9er
hugetrucker9er
11/16/2009 12:41 PM

so ahh..... furthur 2010?

mhc10
mhc10
11/16/2009 01:48 PM

vida421, I was old enough to be there and I saw my share of Dead shows, and some shows Jerry might not have been in the best shape, but not all the time. DSO is a great outlet for people that never saw the Dead back in the day. However DSO never really did it for me on that level.

And I don't see Bobby letting John sing all the Jerry tunes, just listen to the Fox Run. I think that Bobby thinks he has a responsiblity to Deadheads out there to turn into Jerry in a way, with a grey beard and sing the songs that Jerry played. Problem is, when Bob sings a Jerry tune, it sounds too much like Bob. Jerry songs had a certain way that only Jerry can pull off. Bob turns a Jerry song into his own and it just doesn't do it for me.

trippy_hippie
trippy_hippie
11/16/2009 02:12 PM

WOW!!! I really don't know how to feel about this move. I've only been in the scene for 6 years now DSO was my first jamband show and the band that I have seen the most live shows from. I have to say I'm a little sad about this move, but if it means some future tours from Furthur I will get by!!! As for what I've heard from Furthur so far, I must say Bobby really needs to let John cover the Jerry vocals at least for songs like standing on the moon, crazy fingers, stella blue, etc... all those beautiful Jerry ballads. I can handle the some switching off each verse for songs like ripple, bird song, maybe even terrapin station, but that's just my opinion. Whatever happens I look forward to my first of many Furthur shows, if they ever get to the midwest already!!! Who knows maybe John will get his chance with The Dead, that would definatly make my dreams come true.

Peace & Love to all,

HIPPIE

vida421
vida421
11/16/2009 03:37 PM

Of course DSO isn't the Dead...I never suggested they were...but who else are you going to see now that even gives you a taste. I'm old enough too...

As for Bobby, he's just a dick with a big ego, shitty delivery(it works fine for his songs, but he comes in too late on Jerry tunes), and he just seems to love dropping lines!

Bobby fans aren't people.

vida421
vida421
11/16/2009 03:41 PM

and to moemoe....where is all the great music you are writing??? It's easy to say, yea go write some music...but it's a hell of alot harder to do.

moe. sucks...and not in the way Primus Sucks!

galactic44
galactic44
11/16/2009 04:10 PM

uhhh WOW! Although the implications for DSO are quite important to that band, the REAL news here is that John K. quit his band & steady paycheck for some reason not announced yet- but it seems to me (duh) that they are planning some PERMANENT BAND(for the foreseeable future, anyways) and leave the rotating cast aside. At least thats what it looks like for now. Although they COULD rotate in different supporting cast on drums or keys, or perhaps have the boys back in the drum seats? Maybe they didn't want to go out touring right now & let Furthur get going & see how John did. I wouldn't put it past them, though I'm not holdin' my breath. But for a Tour Animal like John K. to quit the band only means lots of gigs with the heavy hitters upcoming.

BTW, I've NEVER seen or heard DSO, so I'm looking forward to seeing him play lots in the near future. I've heard GREAT things about DSO, but I don't need more Dead cover bands in my life. I usually skip Ratdog, too. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE me some post-Dead Dead, but I saw every SF area Other Ones, including the first 'unannounced' one @ the Warfield in '98, EVERY Phil & Friends show @ Warfield until 2005, Valentine's Dead, Barak Dead, the Dead, on and on and on!!!!! I love the new stuff, I just love so much non-dead stuff (STRING CHEESE INCIDENT - 136 shows to date!) that I haven't had time for John. After catching the first 2 Furthur shows @ the beautiful Fox in Oakland, walking distance from my house, Ive suddenly got A LOT mor time for John......

marcsmall1
marcsmall1
11/16/2009 04:32 PM

Mattson is better

lovejahlive
lovejahlive
11/16/2009 05:10 PM

After reading all of these comments something occurred to me- I wonder if they may be planning on actually making some new music? John wouldn't give up the band for a one tour deal. DSO was a pretty steady gig. Just a thought.

mattchu
mattchu
11/16/2009 09:17 PM

that was what came to my mind- they may do some studio time and write some stuff. Would be pretty cool. Anyway, im kinda torn on weather i wanna do a dso run while theyre in my neighborhood this next month. Im kinda worried it may spoil seeing furthur just a little. I havent seen john in over a year i think sooo... idk tho course its all different when bobbby and phil are there.

And as far as bobby vs john singing jerry tunes, i think bobbys gotta right to sing a handful of them, i know i know he doesnt sound as good but, hes got his rights to them.

mattchu
mattchu
11/16/2009 09:18 PM

although he really shouldnt sing as many as he does.

gazebachaka
gazebachaka
11/16/2009 10:43 PM

Vida421

As for Bobby, he's just a dick with a big ego, shitty delivery(it works fine for his songs, but he comes in too late on Jerry tunes), and he just seems to love dropping lines!

Bobby fans aren't people.

Come on, you may not like Bobby but he's been a part of Grateful Dead from the start. Sure he's gettin' crusty and droppin; lines but so was Jerry. Do you like the Grateful Dead?

I hope yer right loveja and they write some new tunes. This is how Kreutzmann fells and maybe why him and Mickey aren't playin' with them

JamBase: What's it like playing a festival with Dark Star Orchestra, a band that's put so much effort into recreating the music of the Grateful Dead?

Kreutzmann: Well, do you want my honest opinion or a good opinion?

JamBase: Feel free to give both but I'd dig the honest opinion.

Bill Kreutzmann by Susan J. Weiand

Kreutzmann: Well, I'll give you the honest opinion. It always works the best. I think if you're going to spend that much time on music you should work on your own music. I'm complimented they do that and I know people like it but what I think happened is when Jerry [Garcia] died and there wasn't really a Grateful Dead anymore, they filled the gap, they filled the hole, and that's cool, but I'd mix it up. I'd do some Grateful Dead and do some of my own tunes.

gazebachaka
gazebachaka
11/17/2009 12:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBlXEGLXlV0

vida421
vida421
11/17/2009 02:07 AM

Love Bobby's songs....just hate Bobby. Look at the stuff that went down between him and Phil.

And there's nothing worse then seeing him drop lines in multipule songs...it use to be cute when he would mess up one of his a night. Now he does it 4 or 5 times a night.

And it's not "All are dim SAVE one is bright"...it's "All are dim but one is bright"

Bobby is very dim! Don't fuck with Terrapin...it's fine just the way it is. Shit Robert Hunter wouldn't write with him after 1970...he's a dick.

rastarusty
rastarusty
11/17/2009 02:17 AM

Vida, what does moe. have to do with DSO. DSO is always a great time, only seen them a few times but it was legit.

I love moe. and can understand if it's not your style, but why bring up hate on bands for some reason?

Seems like a lot of people on jambase like to criticize everything. I really don't see people that bad at shows. Most people just love live music and a good show with friends

vida421
vida421
11/17/2009 04:58 AM

I was pissing onthem cause some kid named moemoe said he should go off and write his own music...and comments like that piss me off cause it isan't easy to write good music...if it was moe. would do it...and so would everyone else.

REeally I don't hate any musicians...sometimes i'm just a dick on message boards! lol

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use