Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

54 Total Messages • Page 3 of 4 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next » 
Leftover Salmon: 20 Years Down River
hiddentreasure
hiddentreasure
10/23/2009 09:07 PM

Thank you Jambase. This is so cool! Thank you, thank you.

magnetic7
magnetic7
10/24/2009 01:23 AM

Great article about an epic band! I first saw these guys at their home turf in '93- the Stage Stop Inn in Rollinsville Colorado. We were living in a cabin full of freaks and someone said a local band was playing the old train station bar and grill down the road and we had to see them! I remember the floor of that place bouncing a couple feet from dancing! We were blown away and I've loved them ever since. Then in '99 me and my girlfriend were at High Sierra in Bear Valley when Leftover invited the Yonder Mountain boys to come play a couple tweener sets. They really bigged 'em up and we were totally impressed! Now those guys have been raging it for years! It's been so great to see both bands grow from humble beginnings to the world class acts that they are today. One serious highlight from this summer was Vince sitting in with the band Cormeal at High Sierra- that was a throwdown for the history books, for sure. Love that psychedelic bluegrass!!

jamesdinct
jamesdinct
10/24/2009 08:31 AM

The Nashville Sessions is one of my favorite albums of all time.

dirtbike1
dirtbike1
10/24/2009 09:53 AM

LONG LIVE THE FISH!!! Still one of my favorite bands.

tbeauchaine
tbeauchaine
10/24/2009 12:34 PM

i remember being at telluride bluegrass in 07 when they played together. unreal. also remember a couple camped next to us in warner field that said that leftover played their wedding for 500 bones. even more unreal.

kirkbrew
kirkbrew
10/24/2009 01:09 PM

First heard of them in 92 when a buddy of mine gave me a mix tape that included them playing a song called Alfafas on KVCU. First saw them in 93 at Nederland. Met Drew a couple of times too. Great guys. Oh yea...and they can bitch slap String Cheeze 8 ways till Sunday. Sure, Salmon don't aimlessly jam for 20 minutes. They don't need to,

kindkid419
kindkid419
10/24/2009 02:07 PM

Salmon was my window to the scene. Best shows of my life. Great listening to all those old shows. I wish I could've attended more. Saw Umphrey's for the first time opening for Salmon @ the Vic, life changing.

vwphan
vwphan
10/24/2009 08:44 PM

Yeah, my buddy in college told me about em in 98 and went to my first music fest in Lesterville, MO back in 2001 or so. I was hooked. Really got me into bluegrass and the whole jam scene. some years later in 2006 while living in Vail Vince was playing a tiny bar under the name "Vince Herman Trio" with Randy Crouch, and Cliff Starbuck (Ekoostik Hookah). A buddy and I just finished a little gig down the street and Vince, seeing us walk in with a banjo and mando case, invited us up for I Know You Rider, and I think "Stealin'". I was just learning the mando (crossing over from guitar) and only knew the keys of "G" and "D". After we played "Stealin" i wanted to get off stage before he called out something in a key I didn't know. ....but Sure enough, I start to put the mando down and Vince tells me to stay up for one more. It was something in "A" or "E" , all i remember is i didn't know any chords so i just fumbled around some scale. He didn't care. We laughed about it after. You couldn't have PUNCHED the smile off my face. Getting to play side by side with one of your musical heroes is a feeling like no other. I'll never forget that night!

JackOfDiamonds
JackOfDiamonds
10/25/2009 06:56 AM

Pretty much the coolest, funnest, smokinest band EVER! I thought id seen it all, til i saw LoS back in '96. I think this band could take the fun scene to another level if they really gave it another shot. There arnt many music experience that come anywhere close to a good LoS show. ...miss Mark Vann:( Thanks JamBase! Lookin forward to the next LoS feature, ..and the next Salmon run!

gregboyer
gregboyer
10/25/2009 09:01 AM

I started seeing LoS back in 97 around Baltimore and at All Good fests at Wilmers ParkMD and Buffalo Gap WV(anybody remember that one?). When I first saw the Mayor McCheese thing I wasn't sure if it was real or I ate too many 'shrooms. They were always the band that really got things going at the festivaaaaaal. It's never been the same without Mark but they are still great (kind of like WSP without Mikey). I hope they play a full tour soon and hit Columbus or Cincinatti. This download sounds fantastic. Thanks Jambase. Can't wait for the rest.

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
10/25/2009 06:17 PM

Best.Comments.Ever

huckfather
huckfather
10/26/2009 09:15 AM

anyone else having trouble with the download? It takes me to a blank web page.

JackOfDiamonds
JackOfDiamonds
10/26/2009 09:00 PM

No Trouble downloading. The link gives you a zip file. I almost overlooked the download link though. - try updating your browser?

buddhistprodigy
buddhistprodigy
10/28/2009 09:39 PM

El~NINO! Man those were the days! A tour dedicated to a tropical storm development. You know...gone are the days of old when the scene's head had not gotten so big. There really didn't seem to be the facade(s) with many bands and crews of today walk around. I miss those days, but am grateful for these days...regardless of how far we have become removed from many of the things that actually brought me into this fold. Inspiring piece.

dhartley34
dhartley34
10/29/2009 12:49 PM

when does the next part come out? I am excited.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use