Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

28 Total Messages • Page 2 of 2 • « Previous 1 2 
Lotus | 10.07.09 | San Francisco
hotbot
hotbot
10/14/2009 09:26 PM

i paid a dollar for this show and $15 for boombox the next night. id pay $15 for boombox again. not sure about the dollar for these guys. just wasnt digging it.

PimpMCGeorge
PimpMCGeorge
10/15/2009 05:32 AM

Realistically, I'm pretty sure I'd pay a dollar to see just about anyone.

Zoso2517
Zoso2517
10/15/2009 10:47 AM

WOW. Boombox over Lotus is a serious shocker. Not really sure where that is coming from. Seen them both a few times. Lotus 4-5 times more, but seriously? Lotus is on a different level the boombox! Lotus throws down, and are poised to make the jump as far as Jamband tiers go. Boombox...not so much. Sorry you don't like the tunes fan.

LisaM1
LisaM1
10/15/2009 02:09 PM

yes, killer show in salt lake city even if it was in an LDS venue that didnt serve alcohol..now if only more electronic goodness would come to this forsaken state. come on biscuits!

stoweskier
stoweskier
10/15/2009 03:10 PM

interesting commentary on the two percussionists. i don't know what more people expect out of these guys. i've only seen them twice at two separate venues, but they play a high energy and progressive show that is a funk-laden dance party without a dj or laptops. their studio work continues to grow and evolve. they've maintained gravitas and not fallen into "silly" like bisco with all their inane lyrics and terrible vocals. you can criticize if you'd like, i'd just like to hear more of why you "weren't feeling them" and didn't think they were worth a dollar. i'm just looking for more insight.

fishbone1
fishbone1
10/15/2009 04:41 PM

anyone got a SB of this show? that's a soundboard recording for any of you n00bs out there.

GratefulFrederick
GratefulFrederick
10/16/2009 04:56 AM

What's a soundboard?

CavemanUM
CavemanUM
10/16/2009 08:20 AM

Ashmie...you are an idiot. Boombox > Lotus??? Not in this lifetime

BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
10/16/2009 10:44 AM

What's a recording?

bigworld
bigworld
10/17/2009 09:30 AM

sbd u mean? ...noob

selo34
selo34
10/18/2009 12:05 AM

hold on.... so what's wrong with laptops?

used to dig lotus, but they sound a little cheesy for my tastes these days, maybe they should try to either accel at electronic jam music or rock jam music, but i look at their dual guitar/keys player luke miller as sort of symbolic of them in general, jack of all trades, master of none.

but good luck to them and the strategy where everyone sees a legit band for a dollar

RedHeaven
RedHeaven
10/18/2009 04:12 PM

WOW. BIG THUMBS UP on this extremely well written review! I loved the "glitchy cliche dubstep" comments, kudos for making that graceful as well. One of the top best written reviews I have ever read on this site. Without feeling fluffed, I am ready to keep an open mind with Lotus.

fsmid16
fsmid16
2/17/2010 03:35 PM

Boombox over lotus? whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Boombox will be obsolete in a few years, lotus is quickly becoming one of the top jambands and will be once their catalog grows a little more. Boombox is one of the least creative bands I have ever seen, if you can even call them a band. (although I enjoyed the show from a purely open minded fun-energy standpoint) The guitarist plays the same chords with his wawa pedal the entire show and his voice is terrible live, not to mention his solos are repetitive and uninteresting. Anyway lotus is evolving the way a good jam band should and it is refreshing that they maintain the creative human element in their music rather than relying on a laptop.

RambleOn--There is nothing wrong with laptops; It just takes a little more creativity to produce house/dance music without one and I think that's what the author is implying. And also in response to your "master of none" comment, lotus is a band that builds energy and reaches climax as a band feeding off of each other. Mike rempel is also establishing himself as one of the better guitar players on the scene. Bottomline lotus is making leaps and bounds tour by tour and it's exciting to see where they will end up.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use