Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

20 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
WSP & ABB | 10.09 & 10.10 | Birmingham
JamBase
JamBase
10/13/2009 12:00 AM

WSP & ABB | 10.09 & 10.10 | Birmingham
The pairing of Panic and the Allman Brothers was more of a celebration than a concert...

digmusiccitylive
digmusiccitylive
10/13/2009 03:55 PM

Already regret not seeing a single show on this tour and it's not even over. Legendary twin-bill. Looks amazing.

WidespreadMule3
WidespreadMule3
10/13/2009 03:58 PM

only made it out on Friday night and it was amazing! 3/4 of ARU was beyond epic, not to mention Derek sitting in with Panic and doing Maggot Brain. That may have been the most beautiful piece of live music i have ever heard. the livedownload does no justice to it. allman bros were great as always. it was great seeing the boys up there having fun. really proud of derek too. he's stepped up a lot in the bros.

mikebike
mikebike
10/13/2009 04:45 PM

'"Black Hearted Woman," marked by pounding teases of the Grateful Dead's "The Eleven"'

i could have sworn at the 2nd night of wanee 09 they played 'black hearted woman>the other one tease>black hearted woman'

anyone who was at this show verify that it was the 11 not the other one?

Dire46daysWolf
Dire46daysWolf
10/13/2009 07:01 PM

Everything my roommate,widespreadmule3, said is dead on correct. The 75% ARU reunion was a special treat! Friday blew Saturday out of the water, set list wise at least I was only there Friday. WSP and the Bro's should only do tours with the other band "they go hand in hand." Panic is always fun to see and Jimmy was on fire all night. Only my second Allman Brothers show but they are easily tied with Phish for putting on the best live show, in my opinion at least. The way Derek and Warren solo off each other is as beautiful as a father and a son tossing a baseball back and forth.

Long live the Allman Brothers Band!

dinophoto
dinophoto
10/13/2009 07:25 PM

Great job!

twalsh
twalsh
10/13/2009 07:46 PM

Although I enjoyed the second night, the Allmans fired so hard on Friday, I could have sold my Saturday ticket and been just as satisfied with the weekend. Maybe that's because I've spent so many years Panic that they've really got to soar to blow me away (which they did with "Maggot Brain" and the "Time is Free" on Friday...definately worth noting.) But after Trucks split open my head with "Dreams" and "Jessica" on Friday, there really wasn't anything left to prove. Simply put, there's just no better guitarist, dare I say musician, than Derek Trucks.

SpreadRed87
SpreadRed87
10/13/2009 08:32 PM

This weekend was amazing!!! Allman Bros. killed it Friday night and Widespread killed it on Saturday! I'm pretty sure that was the plan but either way I had an awesome time! and this was a great review..

rastarusty
rastarusty
10/13/2009 10:02 PM

Please do this again sometime!!!!!

So sick

paulthewolf
paulthewolf
10/14/2009 07:48 AM

The author of this review is wrong in quoting JB from Saturday night. He spoke the " Happy Birtday Allman Brothers" on Friday night. The Saturday shows were both very good but couldn't touch the excellence of Friday. Twalsh is correct that the Maggott Brain with Derek Trucks and the Time is Free with a semi ARU reunion were mind blowing. The Allman set was superb. The energy was so high on Friday that it was not likely that either band could match the intensity on Saturday. They didn't, but it was still much fun

circlelimit
circlelimit
10/14/2009 07:50 AM

"But after Trucks split open my head with "Dreams" and "Jessica" on Friday, there really wasn't anything left to prove. Simply put, there's just no better guitarist, dare I say musician, than Derek Trucks."

Thank you for acknowledging that, twalsh. You have control of the board. May I suggest "Potent Potables" for $1000?

DT is on another level!

dirtyleg
dirtyleg
10/14/2009 08:34 AM

If you want to check a great weekend of music, look to the Dec. 4th & 5th in Macon, GA. It's the opening of the ABB Big House Museum along with the Fly South BBQ & Music Festival. Derek is headlining Saturday night along with Laura Reed, Ruby Velle & the Soulphonics, and a few surprises left to be announced for that weekend.

DharmaBhum
DharmaBhum
10/14/2009 10:29 AM

I know i had fun on this tour. Guaranteed sit-ins. Several completely unexpected surprises (Chicago, Dave Mason & Buddy Guy, Mom's Kitchen). IMO - they kept each other on their toes. Being partial to Panic (but still a huge ABB fan), i was happy with every show i was LUCKY enough to catch. Great times.

CarHitDeerYum
CarHitDeerYum
10/14/2009 10:37 AM

What do you mean "maybe last" allmans tour?! Don't spread rumors if they don't exist! They'll be back again next year

Putnameter
Putnameter
10/14/2009 02:43 PM

Holy fuck, finally a review of the tour! Woulda been nice to have seen a review of the show I was at: Portsmouth,VA.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use