Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

9 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Portugal. The Man | 09.23 | California
JamBase
JamBase
10/6/2009 12:00 AM

Portugal. The Man | 09.23 | California
The Man doesn't turn back on its original sound, even when playing songs off new album...

BenjaminHuman
BenjaminHuman
10/7/2009 06:22 AM

"People who have been watching the act slowly mature since its inception often feel a type of ownership and get pissed off when a band ditches their experimental roots, instead opting for pop song structures and hooky riffs."

fuck those pretentious assholes, a band can create what it wants and a better fan would be happy for their success

jazzfester
jazzfester
10/7/2009 07:26 AM

Maybe they just don't want to make the same album over and over.

orgwell
orgwell
10/7/2009 08:15 AM

Good summation. I was highly surprised to see a review of these guys; I feel like they're still off the beaten path enough that few know about them (especially here on the east coast). Unfortunately, I feel like I'll catch them on late-night mtv2 sometime soon, what with the current desires of the pop market. More power to 'em; they certainly deserve the positive attention. Lookin' forward to Philly!

markson
markson
10/7/2009 08:19 AM

meh review. great show.

hardingmr
hardingmr
10/7/2009 10:35 AM

Terrible review! Way to sit on the fence and not really come to any kind of definitive conclusion. Did you like it or not? It feels like you like the show but hate the new material. I hate to break it to you but it's not the goal of a band to hover in mediocrity for you benefit. Expand the sound, try something new and make a career out of it. In my opinion the new album is in the top 5 of the year.

Lerxst20
Lerxst20
10/8/2009 12:19 AM

Don't be fooled by the more of a pop sound in Satanic Satanist. They still bring it when it comes to their shows. When I saw them at Bonnaroo this year, I thought the stage was going to catch fire, their show was amazing.

rainydaywomen420
rainydaywomen420
10/9/2009 10:12 PM

bonnaroo set was dope as all hell

brencam
brencam
10/12/2009 12:29 PM

I saw these guys this last weekend at Schubas in Chicago, and it was fantastic. They are one of those bands that just comes out and delivers the goods. They played probably 5 songs off the new album, but they were all great songs. The best thing about these guys is that when they start the show, there is no pausing or talking to the crowd. They just come out and rock. I even got to meet the lead singer and keyboard player after the the show, and they both were really cool people that were genuinely happy to talk to the fans.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use