Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

41 Total Messages • Page 3 of 3 • « Previous 1 2 3 
STS9: New Album Ad Explorata This Fall
PastPresence
PastPresence
9/17/2009 07:26 PM

Metameme, Empires, and New Soma are really tight jams from Artifact. They also played some excellent festival sets this summer. Wakarusa night 1 and 2, Fillmore pre DooT, DooT on the Rocks, and Bisco Day set. They aren't as consistent as they were, but are far from dropping gems. I agree tho with the fact that they need to return to their organic and spiritual roots. S9 used to hold a transcendent sound that allowed people to channel in to a beautiful collective energy in a powerful way. It still happens, but not as much. But with all the incredible inspirational artists they have surrounded themselves with in 1320 as of late...Eskmo/Welder, Emancipator, and Rena Jones to name a few...I believe a return to the bliss is on the horizon. I for one am extremely excited with this prospect.

PastPresence
PastPresence
9/17/2009 07:27 PM

^ Sorry not Artifact, I meant Peaceblaster. So its not a complete bust. Nowhere near the caliber of Artifact imo...but a few gems are in there for sure.

farquha
farquha
9/17/2009 09:20 PM

Bisco rages. Murph sucks at bass

stoweskier
stoweskier
9/18/2009 08:25 AM

live at home is a good illustration of what sts9 means to me: complex beats and rhythms without context, "rope-a-dope" style flashy noises and gadgetry. however, peaceblaster had an epic arena rock quality with context to most of it's songs. i really don't know what to expect out of this band in the future. it seems to me that if you want to get your mind blown, go see sts9. if you want to get your mind blown AND dance and party, go see lotus.

mikemac9317
mikemac9317
9/18/2009 08:32 AM

Bisco sucks sooooooooo bad. Their fans are there for the drugs. Bunch of trusties looking for their next high. Might as well be the N20 mafia, which they probably are.

bmwsrok11
bmwsrok11
9/18/2009 08:47 AM

this comment thread is a perfect example of why this site is not as enjoyable as it used to be.

That aside. STS9 has always killed it. I would agree, however, their shows as of late have not been up to speed. I've seen them 12 times this year and they've been playing the same songs over and over again. Where's the variety? They have such a large catalog of songs and for some reason, I have to keep hearing Peaceblaster '68 and '08, STS9, Unquestionable, Atlas, Shock Doctrine.....I mean what gives...give me some of the good stuff! Granted STS9 is a decent song, but they play it EVERY time, and I used to love Unquestionable, but the way they play it nowadays just isnt at the level it used to be. Also, most of their newer songs they have been playing are really pretty bad. Very repetitive and uninventive if you ask me. If they are gonna be the new album it's gonna be a guarantee flop. I agree to that Metameme, Empires, and the New Soma are pretty tight. I also dig the Spectacle.

I'll keep goin to their shows though, in hopes that they start bringin the heat again, cause we all know they have that potential, and when they're on, they're on in a big way. Tabernacle, 8/21 show was pretty sick. Here's to hoping that when they drop the new album, they come out of left field with some really new sick stuff where they are actually jamming on their instruments damnit!

And by the way, I like the Biscuits and Lotus.

santa1
santa1
9/20/2009 06:23 AM

Gotta love tribe. Of all the shows I've seen tribe shows have definatly been the ones I get down at the hardest. That being said yes, peaceblaseter did suck. One of my kids said something interesting about it though "it sounds like a garge band thats finally gotten comfortable in the studio" That makes sense to me, however I think it sounds like murph has been doing too much yeayo, and no one is telling him when stuff sounds like shit.

HOpefully this new disc will be a revisitation to the spiritual, energy driven tribe of early 2000's, and not a progression of the pop, custie-rific, clap heavy beats of Peaceblaster.

Much love to all tribe kids, see on New Years in Denver.

willie88
willie88
9/20/2009 04:36 PM

Heard from several different sources about the details of this album that tribe's coming out with. According to several people who were at Bisco saw murph while he was waiting to play the after-party and he said that this album is aimed at getting songs that haven't made it onto an studio album the chance to, ex. EHM, What is love, and unfortanetly others such as Lo schwag atlas and the other bullshit that has been thrown upon us the past two years. What we all thought was going to be hope for the tribal nation has yet again been crushed and I personally have very little left, tribe is rockbottom in my opinion and this is all due to shitblaster and the huge new following of scrubs wearing the megaphone shirts at every show ahha. Phish is back though

willie88
willie88
9/20/2009 04:36 PM

Heard from several different sources about the details of this album that tribe's coming out with. According to several people who were at Bisco saw murph while he was waiting to play the after-party and he said that this album is aimed at getting songs that haven't made it onto an studio album the chance to, ex. EHM, What is love, and unfortanetly others such as Lo schwag atlas and the other bullshit that has been thrown upon us the past two years. What we all thought was going to be hope for the tribal nation has yet again been crushed and I personally have very little left, tribe is rockbottom in my opinion and this is all due to shitblaster and the huge new following of scrubs wearing the megaphone shirts at every show ahha. Phish is back though

keith630
keith630
9/21/2009 09:56 PM

maybe im on my own on this one, but i really dig the heavier, raging, tribe shows of recent. they have turned it up a few notches. peaceblaster has grown on me a bit (didnt like it at first at all) theres a few good tracks, although its still nothing compared to artifact. i love the old spiritual, rootsy, flowing, tribe sounds, but they've really mixed it up and have been going hard. i haven't lost faith in this band one bit, they continue to explore the boundaries of their music, curious to see the new album.

ooh and dont tell me im wrong, its just my opinion.

bluesrequiem
bluesrequiem
9/22/2009 09:43 AM

anyone know what kind of direction S9 plans to take this new album? I understand they are getting into some acoustic stuff now, notably the New Years thing and that one track on Peaceblaster that sucks hard...I cant remember a time when a band that has been as successful/around as long as S9 that hasnt changed their sound and gone in a different direction....its what THEY want to do, so i will give them some respect for that...i am all for bands exploring sounds and going in new directions, but when it starts to suck i wont be there...ive been seeing sts9 since 2004, and i have really enjoyed the last few shows ive seen from them in 09'...ofcourse they have some bad tunes, but you cant please everyone every time...sts9 is still a great show live in my opinion, but i have never really enjoyed their albums aside from Artifact and the new "New Orleans Remixes" album (awesome!)...if i want a good album, i wont turn to a jam band

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use