Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

36 Total Messages • Page 1 of 3 • 1 2 3 Next » 
Phish: Joy
JamBase
JamBase
9/5/2009 12:00 AM

Phish: Joy
Phish crafts some of its best songs in years, then puts them in a hat to determine the running order.

RevMax
RevMax
9/5/2009 01:39 PM

Can people please refrain from all the stupid acronyms. Things like "KDF" and "STFTFP" are just not needed.

degr2906
degr2906
9/5/2009 02:23 PM

The acronyms throughout this article are frustrating. Was the writer just being lazy or did he think he was being "inside"? Either way, give it a rest man. I don't like having to decipher code just to figure out what song is being referenced.

shortyjk1298
shortyjk1298
9/5/2009 02:59 PM

^^^AGREED^^^ but i can't wait to get this album. PREORDERED!

theterriblebob
theterriblebob
9/5/2009 07:43 PM

am I the only one who likes ocelot? ya id rather hear a live harpua > catapult > Tela but wuddaryagunnado? (AATAASBUATT: Acronyms Are Total Awesome And Should Be Used All The Time)

jamlee
jamlee
9/5/2009 08:55 PM

I don't know about this album. It's sort of catchy, good songs yeah ok i'll give it that. But it's not Phish! Wheres the long written out compositions in which every band member is a key part of the melodic journey that continues to evolve. None of the songs really take you on the voyage that Phish has been known to be able to do. I agree with the fact that it is the most universal and radio friendly album they have released but I don't think that is a good thing. When I turn on the radio I don't expect to hear Phish playing, and when I hear Phish I don't expect it to sound like something I'd hear on the radio. I think this album is very lacking and lazy when compared to normal Phish albums. Like I said before still good music but not Phish!

onthemoon
onthemoon
9/6/2009 11:03 AM

"still good music but not phish" - can you take a step back and realize how retarded that statement is?

schofizzl
schofizzl
9/6/2009 02:21 PM

phish fans on jambase never seem satisfied with anything that happens. why can't the band just do what they want.

EFinley
EFinley
9/6/2009 03:24 PM

By Phish's standards, this album certainly fall into the "nothing special" category for me. There are a couple gems tucked in there, similar to Round Room and Undermind. However, the last Phish studio album worth buying remains Farmhouse.

See you at the show.

sschaffner
sschaffner
9/7/2009 10:53 AM

i sort of hate to beat this one over the head, but i have to agree about the acronyms... wholeheartedly annoying. otherwise, good review cal.

tourfan
tourfan
9/8/2009 06:16 AM

Well, first of all, I thought the CD review was well thought out and well written. Nicely done Cal. I agree that this is clearly the most radio friendly CD the band has released. As I stream it as I write, (I've not heard the whole CD yet!) I do think that "Backwords Down The Number Line will be the bands first #1 single. I do think that that is part of the reson the band chosse to go back to working with Lillywhite as a producer. He's the mand behind the boards for the Dave Mathews band after all, and we all know how many CDs DMB (Sorry about the acronym!) has sold. I too am digging Ocelot, just finished listening to that. Jamlee, I recommend that you go purchase one or two Phish studio CDs (or re-listen to them, if you already have them, anyway???) rather than just listen to live recordings. None of their studio CDs have "the long written out compositions in which every member is a key part of the melodic journey that continues to evolve" and none of their CDs are intended to "really take you on the voyage" !!!! Live, sure, maybe that's what the experience is about. And I do think that many of these songs have that potential. I agree with you about your comments about Phish on the radio, but I do not agree that Joy is "lacking and lazy compared to Normal Phish albums." I'm curious. What is a "normal" Phish album? Lastly, just a note regarding the acronyms. That's a writer's tactic. When writing for magazines or newspapers,(as many of us writers here at JB do) we've got word counts to adhere to. So writing out a full song title as ridiculous as "Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan" is any more than once is redundant and unnecessary. Is it needed here on JB, where we're unfettered by word counts ????? No, but it doesn't bother me that much either. Pick up a newspaper or a magazine one day ya'll, you'll see what I'm talking about. None of what I have written here is meant as a slam on anyone. Sorry for the diatribe, but thanks for reading my comments.

digmusiccitylive
digmusiccitylive
9/8/2009 11:35 AM

I think this album will out-perform all their previous albums on the charts. #1 single may be a bit of a stretch (esp. with Jay-Z dropping today). I like the album. Not a very cohesive effort (a la Rift etc.) but Stealing Time, Ocelot, Sugar Shack (classic Gordo), Kill Devil Falls are all great tracks. I think the days of Phish creating Reba-esque studio compositions legendary quality are numbered. That sort of inspiration isn't there anymore. If you're not into Joy, just write it off as another middling album by one of your favorite bands and appreciate that they are back out on the road tearing things up and still following their muse to create some solid product for the world to enjoy.

A renaissance day for the Phish.

digmusiccitylive
digmusiccitylive
9/8/2009 11:36 AM

Oh and good job Cal!

peaton
peaton
9/8/2009 05:14 PM

Great review Cal. Such a highly anticipated album and you handled it with ease. If anybody would like to see a review from a different, perhaps younger perspective, check out my blog at theconcertbuzz.blogspot.com

I'd love any input or opinions. Peace.

jamlee
jamlee
9/8/2009 10:00 PM

I have and have listened to everyone of Phish's studio albums including this one all the way through. And yes while they are lacking the "jams" and improv sections and may not be 15 minutes long, there are still songs on EVERY other cd that show the genius of Phish's writing for their individual personalities. In other words, what I mean when I say the compositions where everyone is a part and songs that progress and take you on a voyage, are songs like Reba, Fluffhead, YEM, Guyute, etc. The songs where like I said every band member is a crucial part and all of the counterpoint going on blends very well. They are far different compositions then any other band, and thats what I miss on this album. Thats also what I mean when I say good music but not phish. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and I'm not disagree with anyone or saying anyone is wrong.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use