Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

16 Total Messages • Page 1 of 2 • 1 2 Next » 
Prog Nation '09 | 08.27 | San Jose
JamBase
JamBase
9/2/2009 12:00 AM

Prog Nation '09 | 08.27 | San Jose
Dream Theater, Bigelf, Zappa Plays Zappa and more celebrate one nation, under prog...

mesaxi
mesaxi
9/3/2009 05:34 AM

ugh, based of of the DT setlist I'm glad I didn't spend the money. I would love to see them again, but not how/what they're playing these days. There wasn't one song from the first four albums (and best four) on that setlist.

rgood01
rgood01
9/3/2009 07:00 AM

I've never had a bad experience at a Dream Theater concert. I had to miss this Prog Nation, but last year with Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Dream Theater, it was like a buffet of metal notes. Each one of DT's albums has it's high points, and low points, the new one is growing on me, Nightmare to Remember is a great song, The 12 step suite is finally complete and that, taken as a whole, is a prog metal masterpiece. Plus keep in mind that on Prog Nation DT has a very short time to throw a lot of notes in there.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
9/3/2009 07:55 AM

Dennis, Awesome as usual!

but I have to say the punk has way more permanence and staying power than Progressive rock. This isn't speculation, it's the truth.

Joshl92482
Joshl92482
9/3/2009 11:01 AM

petrucci is mentioned with those guys.... what circles are you travelling in

Ned8
Ned8
9/3/2009 11:57 AM

Hotchkiss; explain

Ned8
Ned8
9/3/2009 11:57 AM

Hotchkiss; explain

gmoo
gmoo
9/3/2009 11:58 AM

Great read Dennis. I second the notion that petrucci is mentioned in the same breath as satriani and vai. Didn't he play with them on the G3 tour a few years back.

Anyway, check out Liquid Tension Experiment. It's an awesome side project with Petrucci that is far less cheesy than Dream Theatre.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
9/3/2009 01:29 PM

"That it's never gone away – despite the best efforts of punk, new wave, grunge, etc. – speaks to its staying power and permanent place in rock's sub-genres."

I'm not doubting progressive rocks staying power or it's permanent place in rock's sub genres. I'm just saying that punk rock, in all it's ramifications, has had not only more of an impact on the world, but has a much larger amount of permanence and a stronger status of "staying power". These things are especially true when compared to progressive rock.

You may see this as a "lame" example but, go into any record store (if there happens to still be on in your town", what is the most predominant rock sub genre you see?

I could be a little biased with that example living in orange county, but I think you can see where I'm going with this.

every major city and county puts out a free weekly publication. Open to the music section and see what types of music are playing in your local venues. Compare the amount of punk acts to any other and you'll see just how much more of a presence punk has than any sub genre of any type of music.

gmoo
gmoo
9/3/2009 01:56 PM

^ I agree. When it comes to rock sub-genres, punk and metal (especially where I live) draw the most people to shows.

PongmasterPhlash
PongmasterPhlash
9/3/2009 03:20 PM

"That it's never gone away – despite the best efforts of punk, new wave, grunge, etc. – speaks to its staying power and permanent place in rock's sub-genres."

I don't think the author is saying that prog has MORE staying power than these other genres. Rather, he's saying that the fact that prog has lasted through the emergence of these other "simpler" genres, which in essence aim to do the OPPOSITE of what progressive rock tries to do, means that prog does indeed have an impressive amount of staying power. Prog (to me) is all about more more more while punk, new wave and grunge are all about making good music with less. Despite the popularity and simplicity of those genres though, the pomp and self-indulgence of progressive rock have managed to survive and carry the genre through the times. That's at least how I interpreted it - I could be wrong though?

And yes, Petrucci did G3 with Vai and Satriani, and he is often mentioned in the same class (as he should be).

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
9/4/2009 07:22 AM

^I read it a few times trying to decipher any other meaning and never thought of it that way. Being familiar with Dennis' writing and musical taste's, I think that is what he was trying to get across.

Thanks pongmaster

skitterbrain
skitterbrain
9/5/2009 11:19 AM

"but I have to say the punk has way more permanence and staying power than Progressive rock. This isn't speculation, it's the truth."

Meh, so does mainstream hip hop and sugar sweet teeny bopper bands. Once NOFX retires I'll consider real punk dead, but to each their own.

I can't believe that I can say this being a Disco Biscuit fan but I just can't get past Dream Theatre's vocals, I'll take the John Petrucci trio anyday. Based on the article I'm excited to check out the openers, especially that Explosions in the Sky refrence.

hotchkiss
hotchkiss
9/5/2009 05:02 PM

We were talking about sub genres of rock.

mackadocious
mackadocious
9/8/2009 10:21 AM

My first guitar teacher introduced me to Images & Words years ago and I still love listening to the disc. Dream Theater has a lot of stuff to like and other material that's not so great for me. Anyway I caught this tour in NC and thought that Dweezil was absolutely the hightlight of the evening. Aside from myself there were maybe 2 guys that stood up to dance/headbang (wtf?). I've wanted to see Petrucci play for years, but overall it was underwhelming. See Zappa Plays Zappa.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use