Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

9 Total Messages • Page 1 of 1 •
Steve Earle: Just Like Townes
JamBase
JamBase
8/20/2009 12:00 AM

Steve Earle: Just Like Townes
Steve Earle sets the record straight on his mentor Townes Van Zandt and in the process helps define his own legacy as one of the great American songwriters. Two legends, one story...

bloggersrlosers
bloggersrlosers
8/20/2009 03:34 PM

Steve Earle is one of the only present day "folk" singers that will one day be remembered with Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Leadbelly, and Bob Dylan as a historically great american artist. guaranteed

whoopdedoopde
whoopdedoopde
8/20/2009 05:20 PM

Is that the guy from The Wire?

RichardHaley
RichardHaley
8/20/2009 05:30 PM

^ Ha! Right from the aritcle: "Starting with his 1986 debut Guitar Town, Earle has been branded the father of New Country, Alt-Country, a country outlaw, a political rocker, a folk singer, a stone cold junky, a convict, the guy with all those ex-wives and that dude from The Wire." So ya, he's "that dude from The Wire" - but man, that's a footnote in a legendary career.

bluehoney
bluehoney
8/20/2009 05:41 PM

I can't help but just love steve earl. one of my all time favorites. 'nuff said.

Cola21
Cola21
8/20/2009 11:16 PM

I'm so glad this article was written. I will make the first embarrassing confession: I still haven't gotten around to checking out Townes or Steve Earle. It's on my list and, after JamBase throws them in my face one more time, I think it's about time to make it happen.

Speaking of genius rock, Levon Helm. Electric Dirt. Sweet Jesus.

Luthur
Luthur
8/21/2009 08:26 AM

To rock for country. To country for rock.

tommont
tommont
8/21/2009 03:08 PM

Cola21 you can't hear everything but over time you can hear a lot of the great stuff.

For Steve Earle you might want to start w/ his 86 debut Guitar Town. Also Copperhead Road, Train a Comin' and El Corazon. I Feel Alright is good too. Then Transcendental Blues for the later material. If you like 'grass try The Mountain. Washington Square Serendade I like a lot and I do enjoy the Townes record, I got the special release w/ 2nd cd of the songs stripped down, Earle, gtr and vox. For TVZ who I am a huge fan of you can't beat starting w/ his double live from the Old Quarter in Houston. Nice job Kayceman and jambase for getting something up about Steve! He will be here in six weeks or so w his Bluegrass Dukes and as part of the songwriter circle w/ Tom Morello, Dar Williams and his wife, Allison Moorer. http://www.townesvanzandt.com/albums/oldquarter.html

mhc10
mhc10
8/23/2009 04:48 PM

I am seeing Steve Earle this week.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use