Farm Aid 2009: 10/4 St. Louis
JamBase
JamBase
7/16/2009 12:00 AM

Farm Aid 2009: 10/4 St. Louis

thieveried
thieveried
7/16/2009 02:57 PM

thats quite a bit of money for neil young and willie nelson because john mellencamp isn't worth the ground he shits on...

RichardHaley
RichardHaley
7/16/2009 03:00 PM

^ What did John ever do to you? Seems like a pretty damn good event he's involved with... with some pretty damn fine people at that.

CoolYourJets
CoolYourJets
7/16/2009 03:38 PM

Always a great time.

brutalbrent
brutalbrent
7/16/2009 10:49 PM

good cause good show. My grandparents in ohio have a 1000 acre dairy farm. My family can appreciate this. We dont need dave matthews. Does anyone remember what he and his tour bus dumped in that river a couple years age? Dave, you and your abercrombie crowd need to stay away from events such as this. Bring back Panic and Mule and I am there! Keep it real. That is what the American farmer has done for you.

brutalbrent
brutalbrent
7/17/2009 12:22 AM

Long live the American farmer! Thank God for Farm Aid. Its a big world out there and someone has got to feed them. Just keep Dave away from this show. He couldnt milk a cow, bail hay, shovel cow manure, or anything worthwhile on a farm.

ozarkkeegan
ozarkkeegan
7/17/2009 12:43 AM

A little story about... a whiskey river... where the punches came fast and hard!!!

fishbone1
fishbone1
7/17/2009 06:26 AM

"pal dave matthews" LMAO! that douche is nobody's pal. lol.

bigmikedmb
bigmikedmb
7/17/2009 08:41 AM

This even wouldn't still be happening if Dave was not involved, sorry guys.

jazzfester
jazzfester
7/17/2009 09:10 AM

Thieveried,

Easy on the criticism toward a founder of such a wonderful cause. You may not like his music, but did Mr. Mellencamp piss in your Cheerios?

Brent,

I find it hard to believe that Dave was the man who pulled the handle to dump the black water out of the tour bus and onto the boat and into the river in Chicago. Let me use an expression that a farmer should understand--Never look a gift horse in the mouth. If it makes you happier, please do not allow your grandparents or any of their associates to accept any money from farm aid because it has been soiled by Dave Matthews.

Fish,

Do you have a personal story that leads to such a name-calling insult? I am interested to hear about the cause of your anger toward Dave Matthews.

This is a great cause/event that helps the farmer, the bankers, and the taxpayers. Face it--Dave brings fans which means more money for Farm Aid. Thank you to everyone who is involved.

Lammie
Lammie
7/17/2009 10:32 AM

Farm Aid featuring Willie Nelson, Neil Young, Dave Matthews and John Mellencamp will take place Oct. 4 at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater, Farm Aid organizers will announce today in Soulard.

This is the first time St. Louis or Missouri has hosted Farm Aid, the longest-running benefit concert series, which has raised nearly $35 million since its first show in Champaign, Ill., in 1985.

Matthews said he’s excited about Farm Aid finally coming to St. Louis.

“I really love the city and we have fun there,” he said. “I’m glad I can bring this celebration of a lot of things to St. Louis, as well as bring an awareness to these unsung heroes.”

Those heroes are family farmers, who struggle to remain afloat in the face of government regulation and industrial farming that they say favor profit over quality.

“St. Louis is a good location because of the history of farming there,” Matthews told the Post-Dispatch. “In recent years, more so on the East Coast, there’s a perception farming has died, but that’s not true. Missouri is in many ways in the same battle as everyone else in the country.”

Matthews, Nelson, Young and Mellencamp make up Farm Aid’s board of directors and are the annual show’s core performers.

Farm Aid’s mission is to promote a “vibrant family-farm system in America.” It does so by fostering a demand for food from family farms, connecting consumers with farmers and telling people about the benefits of family farms and “dangers” of industrial farming.

Farm Aid executive director Carolyn Mugar noted the organization’s deep roots in Missouri.

Mellencamp led a rally in Chillicothe in 1986 to protest unfair lending practices by the Farmers Home Administration, and Nelson marched with family farmers in 1995 in North Princeton to protest factory farms.

“We really wanted to get to that area,” Mugar said. “It’s the perfect place for Farm Aid. It embodies people coming together on this issue.”

Nelson told Mugar he hopes Farm Aid raises “as much money as possible” in St. Louis this fall. Last year’s concert in Mansfield, Mass., raised about $1.1 million.

Farm Aid has worked with Rhonda Perry of Columbia’s Patchwork Family Farms and Roger Allison of Missouri Rural Crisis Center to organize against corporate farming.

Perry has been selling her products at Farm Aid for years out of the popular Patchwork Porkshop Tent. Perry, whose family farm is in Howard County, said she advocates hogs raised to certain standards including no confinement, no antibiotics and no growth hormones.

“This creates a major opportunity for farmers around the state to highlight food raised locally and organically,” she said about St. Louis hosting this year’s Farm Aid show.

Speculation about which city would host Farm Aid began swirling last week on Twitter, where the organization dropped several clues, including references to beer and to a city with a sports team named after an animal.

Bringing Farm Aid to St. Louis has been in the works for about eight years, said Mark Campana, president of Midwest music for Live Nation, which is putting on the show.

“We always felt Farm Aid would fit perfectly in St. Louis from a physical and operations viewpoint,” he said.

Everything was in place on the St. Louis end. That included having a newer venue such as Verizon Wireless Amphitheater with an adaptable stage, a large enough capacity, a setup where multiple sound can take place without interference, and where there was enough space to erect the Homegrown Village with interactive activities and more.

It also helped that Verizon has experience with all-day festivals such as Pointfest, the Vans Warped Tour and Super Jam. Atlanta also was on the short list of host cities, but Campana said St. Louis was “automatic” after Farm Aid organizers did a walk-through here.

“They had a concern that coming to St. Louis would mean they’d be doing a smaller show with smaller attendance. But we’re a Top 10 amphitheater,” he said.

About a dozen additional national and local acts will be announced throughout the summer, beginning as early as next week.

“Willie invites every one of his friends,” joked Matthews, who will perform with guitarist Tim Reynolds.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

nomadkidd
nomadkidd
7/17/2009 10:42 AM

All the "heady kids" hate on Dave, get with the times brahs. Your totaly "unheady" if you like DMB. ppfff

Wish I could be there!

BigErn
BigErn
7/17/2009 02:13 PM

Jazzfester and lammie thanks for the reality check. The Dave Matthews Band is one of the original nationally known jambands. I was trading Dave tapes in high school back in the early 90's. Just because he has mass appeal doesn't mean the music isn't great. It's OK not to like it (maybe your not into jazz) but why hate on the guy.

Lammie
Lammie
7/21/2009 01:49 PM

Rockers Wilco, pop singer Jason Mraz, country singer Jamey Johnson, and alt-country Phosphorescent have been added to the Oct. 4 Farm Aid 2009 concert at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Lammie
Lammie
7/24/2009 12:08 PM

The first 300 concert-goers who show up at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheater box office Saturday to buy tickets for Farm Aid 2009 will receive a free Farm Aid T-shirt.

The T-shirts will be at the box office only.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use