Articles Forum

JamBase Features, Newswire & Reviews

84 Total Messages • Page 4 of 6 • « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next » 
All Good Festival | 07.09 - 07.12 | WV
carroll620
carroll620
7/16/2009 11:31 AM

The reviewer writes that Bayliss is a sexy rock star, and Crinninger is a school boy?

Wow! That's just embarrassing. You might want to check out http://www.brianrobert.com/

denverguy
denverguy
7/16/2009 11:48 AM

Reviewer: "Jackie Greene followed with a somewhat generic set that left folks wondering where this kid would be if it weren't for Phil Lesh's interest in him."

Um, he'd probably be playing his awesome songs for people that arent stuck-up pseudo-hippies that think Bassnectar is cool. untz, untz untz

gregboyer
gregboyer
7/16/2009 12:28 PM

Caveman: a better festival=every festival I have ever attended. East coast:MagFest, Wanee, Bear Creek and any other fest at Suwanee, any fest at Sunshine Daydream or Nelson Ledges, Gathering Of The Vibes, and Hookahville. EVERY other fest posts rules on their website and sticks to it. All Good makes shit up on the fly and "confiscates" (steals) from their paying customers routinely. All things considered, All Good blows donkey dick.

Distraction_420
Distraction_420
7/16/2009 01:04 PM

Thought the review was awful. Don't know how there couldn't have been at least a couple of lines about YMSB, from what I saw it had by far the most people up and dancing for a set during the day.

beatstock
beatstock
7/16/2009 01:04 PM

Okay this review = EPIC FAIL, pretty much the only thing that was spot on was the information about the negative aspects of the festival. To all you people hating on the reviewer writing this, consider this...Remember Wakarusa05??? I was one of the people who was minding their own business at my campsite at 4 in the morning smoking some herb/hash and had the cops with nightvision goggles jump in and raid our campsite and take all my stash, then laugh and get on their 4wheelers and go do it to someone else 50 yards away from our campsite. Now Jambase covered that information and everyone agreed with it being posted.

This year at All-Good there was a new "sheriff in town" and was told that that was why the police presence was in full effect. I got there on Thursday and saw at least 12 people being pulled out of their cars getting ticketed, for what I have no idea, maybe open containers in the car, or outdated registration...who knows, but I also saw people getting their car searched by the pigs while they were IN LINE!! That is crazy and totally unjust. The roads coming in through Cumberland and Garrett county were TERRIBLE, I felt like I had just run the gauntlet when I finally got into WV...It was seriously terrifying, and I wasn't even riding dirty.

As for the kids...imo they need to be in family camping the whole time or they need to be left with a babysitter. It is really sad to see kids selling beer and begging for change ::yes I saw them both:: Also I don't know if anyone has noticed this but there are two kids who I see at almost EVERY festival I attend that have dreadlocks and are 10 year old total wookies. 2 years ago at All Good the little son of a bitch was locking people in port-o-potties and then when he finally let them out he had a high powered squirt gun that he was blasting people in the face with. If the little twit would have done that to me I probably would have laid him out. Do those kids even go to school or are they just slipping through the cracks always being on tour?

Now on to the music...This review, in my opinion, was totally off, and the "journalist," if we can even call him that, has NO idea what he's talking about. Two sentences about the headliners is not sufficient, Did he even know that Les and Al from moe. came out and played with Ratdog?! Probably not since that mightttt be relevent to the review, two amazing musicians sitting in with one of the biggest road warriors on the scene, yeah leave that out buddy. While I'm talking about Ratdog, did anyone else agree that this Dead tour really got Bobby on point?! I thought that was the most intense and tight show from any of The Dead side projects including the tour with Warren I have ever heard. The reviewer wonders where Jackie Greene would be without the call from Phil? Hmmmm, maybe he'd be playing his kick ass blues/rock with amazing lyrics for people other than dead-heads who realized that Phil can pick out a great musician when he sees one. Assnectar being a HIGHLIGHT!? I thought that he was the worst set of the weekend, I mean wow he pressed play and let "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" play out over speakers, and then his music was just so filled with bass omg it like totally rocked my body! And the glow sticks were just seeeeoooooo trippy. moe was kind of stale for a late night, I am no one to complain about a moe. show, but their last 3-4 songs were repeats from when they headlined two years ago, and not even good repeats like "plane crash" or "rebubula" or "timmy tucker." Now before you jump on me and say "those songs are ALWAYS played" Well this setlist was a bunch of songs that I haven't heard much from them over the years, and a well placed "Plane Crash" would have blown the place up like an atom bomb. He says that AOD and Yonder kept the place "string heavy" wowwwww I'm so glad you could elaborate on that one, just admit that you left the venue and didn't see them, and I feel bad because Yonder was so much fun could you guys believe the HUGE dust clouds we kicked up from that hoe-down!? He praised Les Claypools set up and down but I am an avid Les fan and thought that his show left much to be desired. The recent line-ups of Les as of lately have been less than stellar compared to the FFB and the Bucket of Bernie Brains, and of course Primus. Ben Harper was a plesant surprise in my opinion and I was not expecting much, but wow R7 was a full out power trio arena bomb dropping power house of a band, with Harpers average slide work it was definitly a cool sound. However his vocals were a bit muddied with such slamming music behind him. I thought STS9 played one of the best concerts I have ever seen them play over the past 4 years, but I haven't seen them as much as I have other bands, they are too cookie cutter sounding and lack the real magic of live music, to me at least...but no doubt they were fun as hell to dance to, and being in the front row definitly made it more fun than being on the hill I can imagine. I missed Umphrey's and I am kind of indifferent about them anymore, they changed their style from the 00-05 days and I just can't dig it knowing how amazing they used to be, not that they aren't talented, it's just not my cup of joe. Kellers set was AWESOME, and definitly a bit changed up from the last time I saw him, I thought he totally tore it up and it was a great way to get put into the festival atmosphere. DJ Harry probably spun the worst house music I ever heard and was a total buzz-kill leading up to Lotus, What was up with lotus repeatedly asking us if we were ready, and then saying "HEREE IT COMEESSS!!" and then just letting DJ H keep spinning? I left early from lotus because of the 30+ times I have seen them, they definitly were not firing on all cylinders, which is sad because they could have captivated a lot of new fans. I left on Sunday for work related reasons and I didn't get to see BK3 or DSO, does anyone have any reviews of their set? Esp BK3 I was really lookin forward to that but it just didn't work out. What about Donna as well?

Anyway, sorry for the huge ramble, I just wanted to shed some light on things that the reviewer obviously wasn't capable of. If anyone wants setlists from shows PM me I tried my best to keep a tab of what was going on. I hope that this helped captivate a little better what the weekend was all about. The people were great, aside from the normal parasites that you always see at festies looking for a free everything, and the nitrious mob that is always a rediculous scene in itself. My neighbors on both sides of me were great and I ended up spending almost the whole weekend with them, me being as cool as I am I went alone since all my friends bailed on me in the last minute, but it was well worth it because there's nothing like making new friends and festival friends at that. I also met some great people from around my hometown on Saturday and we had a BLAST kickin it with them all night. In closing, this was my 8th year on the mountain and I have seen it slowly change back and forth from the best festival I ever attended, to just a meager attempt at keeping the magic alive, I feel that there are more and more corporate sponsors over the years, and I hope that that levels off, because the police presence and the dude yelling about Nintendo DS all afternoon were definitly a drag. I did see some obvious undercovers dressed like hippies, I actually heard one talking to the security :what was up with the black gloves this year: saying that "he has been on the force for 30 years and he knows what to look for" Also the "wares" this year were either EXTREMELY hard to find, or were totally bunk. It took this swimmer two and a half hours to find some decent pizza toppings and that is UNHEARD of to him, at a festival at least. The amount of bunk drugs was out of control as well, what was up with the fake mushrooms?! They were everywhere...fake rolls everywhere, and fake L out the wazoo. Just need to know.

euphonic
euphonic
7/16/2009 02:01 PM

Wow, this review was not a good representation of the weekend at all. Pics are good, words not so much. I'm not going to take the time to dissect this review and point out what the author missed and misrepresented, but just take everyone on heres word for it that this is just awful.

I took pictures this weekend for Starr Hill beer, and my pics can be seen at ( http://euphonicphotos.smugmug.com/Music ). I only have several up including some from Thursday and the ones of the Starr Hill crew, but I will have the rest up by the beginning of next week, so check back soon!

PastPresence
PastPresence
7/16/2009 02:06 PM

^ This review is equally as biased and subjective as the original posters.

sschaffner
sschaffner
7/16/2009 04:40 PM

yes, thank you for that review on which bands had a better glow stick war.

esysbruce
esysbruce
7/16/2009 08:34 PM

Longtime Festavarian here and Jam Cruise Repeat Offender - this was my first All Good fest and was just about perfect. Best land camping fest I have ever attended - way way way better than HSMF. Lineup was just a ripping. Great Job guys!! I will be flying back from the west coast for this for sure!!!

lovemusical
lovemusical
7/16/2009 09:12 PM

Beatstock, I totally remember that kid from last year. Little fucker was blasting people in their cars on the way in and then all day long along the pathway. Not asking permission on a hot day, just right in the face, no limit. He's in serious need of an ass whooping at least. CPS at best. Anyway, I liked your review much better. Seemed spot on and less forced. Take it easy.

veggedout
veggedout
7/17/2009 12:58 AM

First of all, reviewer-- how did you know the kid inhaling on a balloon was prepubescent? What, did you molest the kid to see that it does not have hair on its genitals? I agree, most parents are responsible for their children by keeping them in family camp or have a babysitter, but there are few that let them run free.

Also, again the porto-potties definitetly need to be serviced more often ; I had to defecate in the urinal.

All in all, this was a wonderful festival put on by Timmy and Junipa Walther with non-stop music and entertainment.

beaner427
beaner427
7/17/2009 01:11 AM

Went to All Good last year, and Rothbury this year and last. All good = the Devil's Den. Plain and simple, the shadyness feels evil and it ruins the vibe. The only positive about this place is the amazing rolling hills, the bigname artists, and the great people you are fortunate to meet. The stage area was way too crowded with Bassnector tweakers, and the sound quality outside of 50 feet of the tiny stage is a joke. You pay for what you get

mickey7
mickey7
7/17/2009 11:00 AM

Wow. This must'a been some fest, for Jackie Greene to be that unremarkable, and dissed that offhandedly. I wasn't there, and was just kinda perusing this review, but those comments jumped out at me like a slap in the head. The reviewer must've jotted that note down as he walked through Jackie's set heading somewhere else, because I saw Jackie at Mountain Jam and he tore it up. Further, every other fest review on this site this year has given him big props. Hmmm,,,

pgroove21
pgroove21
7/17/2009 01:22 PM

This review was pretty miserable. Bassnectar was the absolute bees knees, and I'm honestly not an electronic/bassnectar tweaker. The entire vide around Baassnectar was incredible, regardless of whether or not you like his music. Yonder was amazing, Dumpstaphunk was incredible, and basically everyone was having a good time. As Keller said, "You feel that? I feel it." The cops were not that bad at all, everyone is just blowing it out of proportion. I had nothing but cool as folks partying aound me, and the wooks were all pretty nice. Thats my 2 cents.

ds1385
ds1385
7/17/2009 03:02 PM

This was my second All Good and second festival, and I had the time of my life for the second year in a row. the only people who "killed my vibe" are the whining bitches who post on this site.

please come to terms with the fact that the review sucked. it did. reassure yourself that Jackie Greene did NOT suck. he killed it. and next time you see Bassnectar at All Good, look around you. you will notice thousands of ecstatic people dancing on a beautiful mountaintop and having all the fun you wish you had.

By using the forums you agree to comply with our Terms of Use